Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Any of those guys expected to go early and around our pick known to be a go home possible risk?
I've seen a few WC posters say Josh Smillie and Murphy Reid aren't in contention for their pick, for those reasons (possibly amongst others). Time will tell.

Regardless, I'd rather Draper, or any of FOS/Lalor/Jagga at our pick before those two. Langford's the one I haven't watched much of so hard to gauge where I'd like him.

It really is a great top 7 or so you’re guaranteed a decent mid

Smith
O'Sullivan
Langford
Draper
Reid
Smillie
Ashcroft (doesn’t really count )

The idea someone floated about splitting 4 I would seriously consider it if Richmond get 6 as part of Rioli deal

4 and F1 for 6 and F1
Gets us Smillie and likely Dyson Sharp

Could build a real Geelong 06-11 like midfield of beasts and speed

FWIW I hope that we keep 4 and take O’Sullivan

I've seen a few WC posters say Josh Smillie and Murphy Reid aren't in contention for their pick, for those reasons (possibly amongst others). Time will tell.

Regardless, I'd rather Draper, or any of FOS/Lalor/Jagga at our pick before those two. Langford's the one I haven't watched much of so hard to gauge where I'd like him.
I cant see the point of Langford or Smillie in our list and Reid doesnt do it for me.

Def the big 4 Lalor Draper Jagga FOS great options for me in that order (i keep flip flopping draper and Jagga in preferences 2 and 3)

Smith
O'Sullivan
Langford
Draper
Reid
Smillie

The idea someone floated about splitting 4 I would seriously consider it if Richmond get 6 as part of Rioli deal

4 and F1 for 6 and F1

Thats all great but if the top 6 are equally weighted why would any club do that to move 2 places.

What is the knock on Smillie...besides the fact that with that height, we'd play him as a KPD for the first half of the year in the SANFL so he could learn how to defend
He was touted as pick 1 early on from memory ?
Plauted a little this year
Still quality and wouldn’t be too upset if we ended up with him if others are taken

With the chat of North looking to trade down 2-3 spots, I get the sense Langford might be their guy.

Langford has been consistently ranked very high in Twomey's draft power rankings - not a Phantom Draft, I know, but gives the impression that interest at clubland is very strong. I think he was #2 most recently.

Would complement the mix of Sheezel / LDU / Wardlaw nicely.

What is the knock on Smillie...besides the fact that with that height, we'd play him as a KPD for the first half of the year in the SANFL so he could learn how to defend
His size and physical traits suggest a Cripps-style inside mid, but he plays as a first receiver type. So it's a bit of a mismatch: his contested numbers are slightly illusory at underage level because he's bigger than 99% of his direct opponents (which has arguably caused those skills to atrophy) but he's probably not fast enough to be a purely outside player. Apparently there's also a knock on his overhead marking, but I've not seen enough to judge. A club will definitely take the risk given his upside, but I don't want it to be us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like to point out no Crow in AFL's AA squad of 44. No Crow in Robbo's top 50 players for 2024.
Crow's team total for Brownlow votes was 15th.
Shows the extreme lack of talent at the club.
Criminally poor drafting and lack of aggression at the trade table has successfully relegated the Crows to non-final appearances for seven years.
It basically needed an upheaval by supporters to get the club off it's backside and do something, still not enough delistings, fifteenth reflects this. Club not nasty enough, commentators are unanimous on this aspect of the Club.

Last edited:
Just like to point out no Crow in AFL's AA squad of 44. No Crow in Robbo's top 50 players for 2024.
Criminally poor drafting and lack of aggression at the trade table has successfully relegated the Crows to non-final appearances for seven years.
It basically needed an upheaval by supporters to get the club off it's backside and do something, still not enough delistings, fifteenth reflects this. Club not nasty enough, commentators are unanimous on this aspect of the Club.

This is the bit that frustrates me. I would rather take one step back to start going forward and we have a bunch of players we could have moved on but we don't because we are scared of the one step back.

There's no "extreme lack of talent".

There's holes in the list but it's much better than a 15th place finish. That's why people are demanding changes to the coaching panel.... it's clear as day they aren't maximising what we've got.

With the chat of North looking to trade down 2-3 spots, I get the sense Langford might be their guy.

Langford has been consistently ranked very high in Twomey's draft power rankings - not a Phantom Draft, I know, but gives the impression that interest at clubland is very strong. I think he was #2 most recently.

Would complement the mix of Sheezel / LDU / Wardlaw nicely.
Yep agree , I think north are after Langford

And if they could get Langford and Tauru for pick 2 they’d be rapped

Last edited:
Knock is his pure midfield craft outside of his size , his kick , he doesn’t run and explode out of stoppage like a Lalor . Not as expansive outside as a Langford . Also low mark numbers for a 193-194cm midfielder

He’s still a good player it’s just the other similar size players Lalor and Langford seem to have more midfield traits to succeed

Smith
O'Sullivan
Langford
Draper
Reid
Smillie

4 and F1 for 6 and F1

How exactly do we get Dyson Sharp (based on he's still flavour of the month) in November 2025, you're putting a lot of weight on Richmond finishing bottom next year.?

Only way any club can be sure of getting their desired player is to finish bottom I would of thought unless you're suggesting we pay big big overs and basically give away all out top draft capital in 2025 and 2026.

Didn't work when we made ridiculous offers to get JHF so why wouldit work with Dyson Sharp if he's similarly rated by clubs?

How exactly do we get Dyson Sharp (based on he's still flavour of the month) in November 2025, you're putting a lot of weight on Richmond finishing bottom next year.?

Only way any club can be sure of getting their desired player is to finish bottom I would of thought unless you're suggesting we pay big big overs and basically give away all out top draft capital in 2025 and 2026.

Didn't work when we made ridiculous offers to get JHF so why wouldit work with Dyson Sharp if he's similarly rated by clubs?
I’ll be surprised if Richmond don’t finish bottom next year

For that reason th were unlikely to trade out their future 1st

I think it’s 80% chance Richmond finish bottom 2

There’ll be Vic kids too that no doubt come in the mix

To be honest I doubt this eventuates , but would be happy if did

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back