Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jees, I just looked at a few packages of Jagga Smith. We are definately not losing out if he's the one that lands at 4 either. Not surprised he finds so much footy, the way he is always on the move to get himself in the right spot has a bit of Daicos about it. Also seems lightning quick in terms of decision making and ball skills.

Give that kid 2 years in a weights room and he will be a player. He's already a player, but yeah he still needs 2 years in a weights room
Yep he’s a class above

Clean and fast thinker , doesn’t waste the ball

Just enough speed and plenty of agility

I’ve got him #1

What about drapers tendency to handball ?

Even watching his futures game from 2023 12 months ago way more handballs than kicks especially when put under pressure

Can that be coached out

I love his competitiveness and athletic traits and drive but he does lack class compared to the others
If he's under pressure, using a handball to get to a player free on the outside is smarter than a dump kick. If he's using it when he's in the bettter position, not so good. I suspect that it's more the former than the latter, but he does appear to have a high handball ratio.

If he's under pressure, using a handball to get to a player free on the outside is smarter than a dump kick. If he's using it when he's in the bettter position, not so good. I suspect that it's more the former than the latter, but he does appear to have a high handball ratio.
Agree. At times, it also looks like there's also an element of him trying to bring teammates into the game. Which makes sense given his leadership traits and general character are spoken of so highly.

That balance would need to improve at AFL level, but I'm confident it will.

Agree. At times, it also looks like there's also an element of him trying to bring teammates into the game. Which makes sense given his leadership traits and general character are spoken of so highly.

Reminds me of an Ashcroft!!

Yep he’s a class above

Clean and fast thinker , doesn’t waste the ball

Just enough speed and plenty of agility

I’ve got him #1
Where would you play him for year 1 if we drafted him? I’m not sure playing him at HB like a McKercher would suit, but he might get battered purely on the inside, too. Maybe wing with stints in the CBA’s?

Where would you play him for year 1 if we drafted him? I’m not sure playing him at HB like a McKercher would suit, but he might get battered purely on the inside, too. Maybe wing with stints in the CBA’s?
Can he ruck?

I saw that in the Champs

I think they are wondering if he handballs to a player just as much under pressure, like Laird.

I think they are wondering if he handballs to a player just as much under pressure, like Laird.
I lean towards the idea that Laird is (unconsciously - maybe) handballing to get himself into a better position for the 1-2

Unless you worded it differently and meant exactly that

Because he handballs to people under pressure

I lean towards the idea that Laird is (unconsciously - maybe) handballing to get himself into a better position for the 1-2

Unless you worded it differently and meant exactly that

Because he handballs to people under pressure

Yes I think that is clearly what he is doing but its high risk and high reward. Not sure its really playing the %. Thats why its useless stat padding half the time.

I am so disappointed we're only taking 2 kids from this draft and one of them is ranked 50+

Next year we have access to 2 future first round picks (2026 & 2027) so if we're trying to lure star players we can use them.

Burn the 2025 future first, buy back in and pay out one of our many contracted spuds.
Essendon in the market for a future first to swop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about drapers tendency to handball ?

Even watching his futures game from 2023 12 months ago way more handballs than kicks especially when put under pressure

Can that be coached out

I love his competitiveness and athletic traits and drive but he does lack class compared to the others
What’s your opinion on FOS?

Think he over handballed this year in particular due to lack of match fitness coming back from injury. Much more balanced in his last few games for Panthers league side

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back