Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That is a massive change.

Would love to know who it benefits the most, it's always after the wash-out you see what the changes will actually mean. I reckon the end of the first round / start of the second becomes filled with better players being available - that suits the clubs at the top of the ladder .. .right?

I don't think you can do these things in isolation, they need to look at the whole system including the entire draft and Free Agency.

This is a good start, but there needs to be more.

It takes too long to rebuild, the current system allows some clubs to game the system too easily.

I'm all for extra help for the bottom 4 in picks / cap, no free-agents to prelim finalists, maybe even first 20 picks being for the bottom 10 - ie bottom 10 get 2 picks before the top 8 get their first.

I suppose it's something, but the AFL are known for decisions that end up being a different problem rather than a good overall solution.
Yes big change and should benefit all other teams without access to large amounts of Academy players (and F/S etc)

More equitable.

Reading the article I am sure they make a mistake by inverting this number (see below) - should be 16% discount after round one, not 84%

then an 84 point discount when they match bids after pick 18.

Most club recruiters seem to think Sam Lalor is who Richmond favour with their 1st pick...Maybe they see him as the next Dusty methinks?
Seems all clubs see this as a way better draft than 2025 hence so many willing to put their 2025 1st rounders on the table to get into this draft. I think one of the big reasons is the number of high end Northern Academy and F/S that look to be top end picks.

Yes big change and should benefit all other teams without access to large amounts of Academy players (and F/S etc)

More equitable.

Reading the article I am sure they make a mistake by inverting this number (see below) - should be 16% discount after round one, not 84%

then an 84 point discount when they match bids after pick 18.
What happened last year where the Suns were able to take four academy players in the first round (with junk picks) whilst also stockpiling picks for this year was a joke.

Other teams need to start bidding on these players earlier too, so they are forced to cough up.

What happened last year where the Suns were able to take four academy players in the first round (with junk picks) whilst also stockpiling picks for this year was a joke.

Other teams need to start bidding on these players earlier too, so they are forced to cough up.
Fact is no club is stupid enough to bid on a player they aren't prepared to take if their bid isn't matched....all clubs have a prepared list going into draft night, if they rate that player at that pick they'll bid.

yep agreed and becomes more equitable for all other teams.

i do wonder if any academy player showing exceptional ability at 16 ish has any manipulation to 'shield' them away and help tank their value??..would be tempting surely if you are the Nth club? I am not saying this was the case but Gulden went from a picks in the low 30's to winning a rising star nomination in round one the following year. clearly massive step up ability over these few mths (yes I must be getting cynical as I age haha, but clearly the temptation could be there)

edit - the other huge benefit of getting locals is a lack of 'go home' factor that most other interstate clubs have suffered from over the years - esp GWS and Suns
I had gulden in my top 10 ! He was highly exposed in junior pathways

Doubts were on his size and contested ball

There is a bit of suspicion about hiding guys but I think it rarely happens , there is so much exposure these days with every game streamed etc

Fact is no club is stupid enough to bid on a player they aren't prepared to take if their bid isn't matched....all clubs have a prepared list going into draft night, if they rate that player at that pick they'll bid.
Would have happily had us bid on Will Graham with any of our picks last year and said it at the time , wasn’t thinking our last pick where we eventually bid on him though

By next year if you like a guy like that bid on him early and you’ll likely get him with the new points system

Most club recruiters seem to think Sam Lalor is who Richmond favour with their 1st pick...Maybe they see him as the next Dusty methinks?
Seems all clubs see this as a way better draft than 2025 hence so many willing to put their 2025 1st rounders on the table to get into this draft. I think one of the big reasons is the number of high end Northern Academy and F/S that look to be top end picks.

How was the futures game on mcg GF day ? Nowhere near same standard as last years

Add the standard drop off to fact most of talent is QLD academy tied + / WA and it’s a double whammy

Was at the Hawk on Your Fork game.

Sat about here ... from 1991 until I moved out of SA.

View attachment 2136813
I missed the Essendon trial and the Hawk on your Fork game, as I had shifts at the Gepps Cross Shell servo.

Interestingly, you didn't see a customer in those days when a Crows game was on.

Became a member that year and watched the rest of the home games that year and the next three or four, then became an interstate member from then until now.

Would have happily had us bid on Will Graham with any of our picks last year and said it at the time , wasn’t thinking our last pick where we eventually bid on him though

By next year if you like a guy like that bid on him early and you’ll likely get him with the new points system
You might have rated him higher but obviously clubs didn't have him as high?

I rated Joel Freijah as a later 1st rounder but he eventually went mid 40's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back