Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You're convinced Curtin is a midfielder?

I'm not as convinced I still think he's a 3rd tall intercepting defender, maybe a wingman where his footskills can be most damaging?

To be perfectly honest I'm not sure where the club sees his best spot at this point?
Definitely agree on the wing part. I really wanted him on one wing and Luko on the other. Not to be...

Those "rubbery figures" are his official stats. Happy to be called on them.

9.5 disposals per game in his 4 full games. 27 centre bounce attendances. Played on potential, not exposed form.
Dude, you used average stats ignoring games as sub.

You then overstated how many full games he played and you’ve just done it again. He played 3 full games and played a combination of midfield and half forward. His TOG was low.

Your figures couldn’t be more rubbery if you tried.

It's pretty obvious our recruiting team really rated Curtin....I'm just a bit concerned they saw him as an elite KPD which the early signs suggest he is not.
Early days yet for him, and no reason we have to pigeon hole him at this stage of his career. Agree that at this stage he’s best placed elsewhere though.

Definitely agree on the wing part. I really wanted him on one wing and Luko on the other. Not to be...
Would like our R1 wing rotation to look like Curtin (A-grade prospect)/Sholl (most runs on the board) and Nank (elite spatial awareness, time to move him up the ground)

If we draft Jagga, I’d try and fit him in that lineup as a wing/partial mid, too. Ideally then Nank goes back and Laird doesn’t get a game, but I’m not confident that happens

Would like our R1 wing rotation to look like Curtin (A-grade prospect)/Sholl (most runs on the board) and Nank (elite spatial awareness, time to move him up the ground)

If we draft Jagga, I’d try and fit him in that lineup as a wing/partial mid, too. Ideally then Nank goes back and Laird doesn’t get a game, but I’m not confident that happens
Jagga reminds me of butters i think i would get him on ball as quick as possible rather than him maybe getting lost on the wing. without knowing who were getting it's impossible to finalize what it looks like

i am just relieved to see pedlar out on the track already looking fit and happy

i still think hes the missing link but not in the bloody fwd line

Jagga reminds me of butters i think i would get him on ball as quick as possible rather than him maybe getting lost on the wing. without knowing who were getting it's impossible to finalize what it looks like

i am just relieved to see pedlar out on the track already looking fit and happy

i still think hes the missing link but not in the bloody fwd line
I fear he’d get battered around, particularly defensively, if played as purely an inside mid from day 1. Definitely would need stints in there though, in order to prepare for a full-time mid role in year 2

Pedlar this year is a bit of a wildcard. His fitness, both in regards to injury and two-way running capacity, will be the main factor as to whether he hits his ceiling

I fear he’d get battered around, particularly defensively, if played as purely an inside mid from day 1. Definitely would need stints in there though, in order to prepare for a full-time mid role in year 2

Pedlar this year is a bit of a wildcard. His fitness, both in regards to injury and two-way running capacity, will be the main factor as to whether he hits his ceiling
what do you think is pedlars reason for not being able to run out games? surely cant be fitness by now.

jagga to me would be stints on ball and as a small fwd in the rotation. don't know about wing. i dont really want dawson on ball. i reckon he's wasted there.

what do you think is pedlars reason for not being able to run out games? surely cant be fitness by now.

jagga to me would be stints on ball and as a small fwd in the rotation. don't know about wing. i dont really want dawson on ball. i reckon he's wasted there.
To my knowledge Jagga has never spent any time playing purely forward...he's a very effective lightly built 1st possession midfielder/distributor, the interest will be to see if he can put on any significant size in a full time AFL environment..

No expert but for me i like Jagga Smith the most out of the highlights. Exact player in midfield we are missing - can run, carry and has that poise and class in traffic. Seems to have a big engine, bit of agility, accumulates and appears to have a good shoulder on his head.
He seems to have the most body of work and has played well at every level (dominated) and is a natural centre bounce midfielder. A lot of the other guys in our mix (Draper/FOS/Lalor/Langford) have some question marks re: lack of exposed form/injuries/lack of athleticism/position at AFL?). I feel Smith has a high floor but also a pretty high ceiling just based on his athletic ability/attributes.

If Draper wasn't a local i feel like he would be the 4th/5th choice out of the above lot - for me he seems to be a solid choice but lacks that poise and polish which you can't teach. Again, he has a high floor though and doesn't scream bust but i think he has lower potential than the other couple of guys in our mix.

Wing with capability to push back or forward, I think

Could become the Dawson replacement over time, but I’m not 100% counting on it
I think he'll end up back in WA, which might be a win/win situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To my knowledge Jagga has never spent any time playing purely forward...he's a very effective lightly built 1st possession midfielder/distributor, the interest will be to see if he can put on any significant size in a full time AFL environment..
as i said i would want him in the midfield. last year he did have bit of fwd time but agree seems to have been cut out

Really not sure re: Pedlar, bigman might have some insights on how he trains?

Think Jagga’s a more natural ‘middle third’ player, wouldn’t play him forward or even back. One thing you know he’ll do is hunt the ball and give his teammates the best opportunity to use it well

Dude, you used average stats ignoring games as sub.

You then overstated how many full games he played and you’ve just done it again. He played 3 full games and played a combination of midfield and half forward. His TOG was low.

Your figures couldn’t be more rubbery if you tried.
I give up.

What stats do you say he got?

Bit rich saying Curtin played as a mid this year isn’t it and to then include his average stats when he played so many games as a sub.

Curtin should be developed on the half forward flank, not at full back in the SANFL

Great hindsight call. After he kicked a couple of goals in the game Walker went off

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I like him as wingman, hopefully he has the endurance/gut running ability to really push deep into defence and forward, using his height and skill level could be a massive asset.

For the people who follow the draft and U’18 closely, if you had the ability back in time, would you do the deal with West Coast and have pick 3 this year or stick with Curtin?

absolutely would have taken pick 3 - would do it right now if it was offered

Yes possessions per time on TOG were low for someone in mid rotation like 10 possessions every 80-90 mins

His best form all year was forward roles eg last quarter v dogs and swans game in last round

All I’m saying is towards end of year he was given games that others probably wouldn’t on performance , but also so he should have

Saying he didn’t get opportunities isn’t correct

And when he played defence earlier in year he struggled as he struggles to defend , I’ve never thought he’s a defender so that’s not really his fault . He was subbed and dropped appropriately , then Re trained as a mid in sanfl

But all his WAFL form was as a back? He didn’t play mid or forward there?

Said it when we drafted him? Or after he hadn’t shown anything down back?

I don’t follow drafts so knew very little about him.

When I saw him playing SANFL I said it during the year before he played that role in the AFL. But when I said it is irrelevant given you claimed hindsight after Tex went down, which is wrong.

You know you could just accept you were wrong and admit as much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back