Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I know your game now. You play the mozz dont you. You say the worst thing hoping that because you predict something it wont happen. in what universe would they pick landford having got taller mids in curtin and edwards last year and dawson in his prime. Its all about speed and power now for our midfield.
What? I don’t think getting Langford is the worst thing. Far from it. Has Bont-like/Will Day-like qualities. I don’t rate Draper at our pick. I’ve been saying this all along. His disposal is poor and he panics a lot. There has also been a lot of talk about how Hamish likes Langford. That’s where my suspicion comes from.

For the record, my order of preferred player:

• Lalor
  • smith
  • Langford
  • FOS
  • Draper

Ok thanks, that’s kind of how I saw Draper too in YouTube highlights.

I find it hard to get enthusiastic about that kind of player. With a top 5 pick you really want (forgive me) “hurt factor”.
Speed and affective clearance is elite

Just work on the disposals in the SANFL for 3 years and voila

For those that have watched these kids, of those around the Crows pick, who is:
1. The most sure fire star
2. The one with the highest ceiling
3. The most consistent performer
4. The biggest risk
5. The best fit for our midfield
1. Hard to say, there’s no real standout #1 prospect like Reid or JHF were. My #1 is Lombard who’s tied to GC
2. Lalor or O’Sullivan have the largest superstar potential I think
3. Jagga Smith, averaged 33 touches at Coates Talent League level
4. Again hard to say. Maybe Smillie, as I’ve seen he has a few character questions compared to the other top prospects?
5. Probably Lalor, although I think any of the top few would add a lot

What? I don’t think getting Langford is the worst thing. Far from it. Has Bont-like/Will Day-like qualities. I don’t rate Draper at our pick. I’ve been saying this all along. His disposal is poor and he panics a lot. There has also been a lot of talk about how Hamish likes Langford. That’s where my suspicion comes from.

• Lalor
  • smith
  • Langford
  • FOS
  • Draper
I'm not that dissimilar I'm

Lalor
Smith
Draper
FOS
Langford

he might be bont like but definitely not will day

• Lalor
  • smith
  • Langford
  • FOS
  • Draper
Man, I really don’t trust that lack of athletic ability at the top level though. Langford’s been one of the bigger bodies playing U18 football, so he’s naturally been able to have a knack of obtaining the ball from congestion. But even at that level, I’ve never really seen him as at least somewhat fleet of foot. The fact he was a quite bit less impactful at VFL level (though a small sample size) didn’t really help his case for mine, either

I’m also not a huge fan of Langford’s kicking - got a huge boot on him, but the ability to hit targets? Not on the level of a lot rated about the same as him

I think he’s a very solid prospect if taken around the 10-15 mark, and has a number of genuine AFL traits, but for pick 4? I just don’t see it

The big issue I see here is that Port have courted NWM for quite a while and are bracing for losing Bergman (who I think was a saints fan growing up). Hopefully it’s not as simple as a player swap next year. Would love NWM at Crom. Would be a huge get.
Bergman would be a huge loss. I honestly confuse him for JHF sometimes.

Man, I really don’t trust that lack of athletic ability at the top level though. Langford’s been one of the bigger bodies playing U18 football, so he’s naturally been able to have a knack of obtaining the ball from congestion. But even at that level, I’ve never really seen him as at least somewhat fleet of foot. The fact he was a quite bit less impactful at VFL level (though a small sample size) didn’t really help his case for mine, either

I’m also not a huge fan of Langford’s kicking - got a huge boot on him, but the ability to hit targets? Not on the level of a lot rated about the same as him

I think he’s a very solid prospect if taken around the 10-15 mark, and has a number of genuine AFL traits, but for pick 4? I just don’t see it
I think it’s a bit harsh to really judge langford’s vfl form. He didn’t get the same opportunity as Jagga and I thought he still had some great moments against the blues vfl side once he warmed into it.

I would be hesitant to seperate Langford from the other top mids in this draft. He has his drawbacks but all of them do in one way or another. Is he my least preferred of the five? Probably but that’s no real slight on him, it’s a very good bunch.

Tell you what, I’d say hes the best mark for a midfielder in this draft, possibly even slightly edging out lalor. He basically never loses an aerial contest, it’s like clockwork when he gets the opportunity. It also makes him a threat up forward which you can’t really say about smith and Draper, as good as they are.

I wonder if clubs feel that he also has scope to improve give his inside work has some definite flaws. He has very little fend or swivel despite being a big and aggressive guy, which is compounded by his lack of speed. It means too often he either gets wrapped up or at best gets a scrappy disposal away.

it’s surprising he has these issues but if clubs can improve them then he becomes pretty imposing prospect.

I think it’s a bit harsh to really judge langford’s vfl form. He didn’t get the same opportunity as Jagga and I thought he still had some great moments against the blues vfl side once he warmed into it.

I would be hesitant to seperate Langford from the other top mids in this draft. He has his drawbacks but all of them do in one way or another. Is he my least preferred of the five? Probably but that’s no real slight on him, it’s a very good bunch.

Tell you what, I’d say hes the best mark for a midfielder in this draft, possibly even slightly edging out lalor. He basically never loses an aerial contest, it’s like clockwork when he gets the opportunity. It also makes him a threat up forward which you can’t really say about smith and Draper, as good as they are.

I wonder if clubs feel that he also has scope to improve give his inside work has some definite flaws. He has very little fend or swivel despite being a big and aggressive guy, which is compounded by his lack of speed. It means too often he either gets wrapped up or at best gets a scrappy disposal away.

it’s surprising he has these issues but if clubs can improve them then he becomes pretty imposing prospect.
Beg to disagree on the best mark of the mids, I'd have both Lalor and FOS clearly ahead of Langdord.

Beg to disagree on the best mark of the mids, I'd have both Lalor and FOS clearly ahead of Langdord.
Clearly seems excessive but no doubt they’re both very good in that regard as well.

Irregardless, it’s absolutely a strength of Langfords and makes him a more multi-dimensional mid then some of the others around him.

Actually think he would be a good fit for north as none of their mids have a great aerial presence particularly up forward, but I guess you could argue the same for us aside from dawson who is a terrific around the ground mark.

He's probably a bit like Dawson in the aerial department, very good for a midfielder when in amongst a pack on the wing or a flank, but I'd have Lalor and FOS as more dynamic overhead marks - i.e. capable of really crashing a pack when needed

I agree the idea of what he could be in theory is tantalising, but I'm not sure that with his all-round athletic capabilities and lack of a laser boot that that idea will ever be a reality

He's probably a bit like Dawson in the aerial department, very good for a midfielder when in amongst a pack on the wing or a flank, but I'd have Lalor and FOS as more dynamic overhead marks - i.e. capable of really crashing a pack when needed

I agree the idea of what he could be in theory is tantalising, but I'm not sure that with his all-round athletic capabilities and lack of a laser boot that that idea will ever be a reality
Fair enough points.

FWIW, for someone who tests slow he does use his legs when streaming ahead of the stoppage and isn’t afraid to eat up the ground. He makes decent use of what little pace he does have.

His follow up work is also very solid, he’s not a one and done mid. It’s helped by a pretty decent endurance base despite being a pretty big lad. He should fine down a touch in a professional environment too.

Also think he suits the modern game with his propensity to move the ball on quickly and kick long rather than playing kick to kick. If there’s a receiver streaming towards goal Langford is someone you want the ball with. He loves to turn and go quick from a mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back