Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Spew if we don’t get Draper. Seems like it’s just meant to be! Hoping all 3 Vic clubs take Vic lads.

This is one of the few years rankings have differed so much. It will be interesting on what the phantom draft is. Twomey is historically accurate with his top 10. He tends to get a lot of mail. If he has Draper going in the top 3 then id put money on Draper not being there when we get our turn. The Crows will have their list of top 4 players they want to select. They would have every contingency. May even seek to trade up and swap picks to ensure our selection.

Spew if we don’t get Draper. Seems like it’s just meant to be! Hoping all 3 Vic clubs take Vic lads.

I am a bit late to the draft discussion. It seems as though, disregarding F/S & Academy players, there are 4 top midfielders expected to go in the first 4 picks - Smith, Langford, Draper, O'sullivan.

If thats the case - we are in a wonderful position to take the only one left out of our top 4.

Just want to make sure we dont get too cute and Hamish decides to pick KPD Luke Trainor

I think the standard of the top end guys this year is bit below normal

But the standard 10-50 is well above almost all drafts I’ve seen
exactly so we should have cleared the decks and brought all our draft capital into this draft. splitting F1 into couple of picks this year. we could have had 4, 19, 21 or something similar even after all the trading we did.

extensions given to berry borlase made no sense. alternatively we had to be prepared to make smith retire and delist burgers.

given you're spot on point on depth over pointy end top 10 class in this draft we need more picks to increase the chances of nailing it. on this port have done ok. not great but ok. we should have created the list spots needed.

This is one of the few years rankings have differed so much. It will be interesting on what the phantom draft is. Twomey is historically accurate with his top 10. He tends to get a lot of mail. If he has Draper going in the top 3 then id put money on Draper not being there when we get our turn. The Crows will have their list of top 4 players they want to select. They would have every contingency. May even seek to trade up and swap picks to ensure our selection.
extremely unlikely we trade up IMO
they are guaranteed a target at pick 4

it would only be with north but the issue is we wouldn't give an F1 to swap 2 for 4 and would they do it for and F3 or so. Unlikely.

we may trade back purely because thats always been reids MO because the players we wanted were gone by our pick. but this time we are guaranteed to get a target.

its likely draper but if its jagga we should all be very happy. hes going to be the one to come in and be able to actually get the ball from day 1 and have a meaningful contribution next year

I am a bit late to the draft discussion. It seems as though, disregarding F/S & Academy players, there are 4 top midfielders expected to go in the first 4 picks - Smith, Langford, Draper, O'sullivan.

If thats the case - we are in a wonderful position to take the only one left out of our top 4.

Just want to make sure we dont get too cute and Hamish decides to pick KPD Luke Trainor
Did you mean Lalor?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

geez the more I watch of Jagga the more I want him to slide to 4
He does the old fashioned footy thing of getting the ball and getting it to a teammate, underrated skill in these days of 'x factor'. Maybe not as sexy as Draper bursting through the front of packs but more likely for a teammate to have the ball next. I like both for different reasons. Draper is the kind of player we haven't had for a really long time and that dynamism around the ball would be great in our mix. After spending most of the year thinking Draper was a no brainer but also watching our midfield constantly turn the ball over and get scored against on the rebound, I wonder if the composure and clean disposal of Jagga may actually be more valuable.

The chances of both being available are higher now and I really think one will be. If Richmond trade up to 2, I think they take Jagga as one of those picks. If they just have 1, think they go Lalor or FOS. Think Lalor and FOS both likely gone before 4.

Jagga is the surest bet in the draft and plays round 1 next year. Given our disastrous record with early picks, I have no issue with 'playing it safe' with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back