Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind it and it will become a lot more common as young kids watch more US sports
From the rumours I’ve seen, that attitude reportedly has a tendency to influence his training habits

That’s the red flag for me. Was always fine with that attitude for Phillipou as he was a known hard worker

Yep, with one of Hamish and his crew's real strong points being able to spot a gun a bit outside of the generally thought of top prospects Hamish and his crew would have a field day with this particular draft but unfortunately you can't bring in 3 proven AFL talents and fill up inthe draft.
lol
Port have a similar hand to us in 19.
Which haim completely butchered

From the rumours I’ve seen, that attitude reportedly has a tendency to influence his training habits

That’s the red flag for me. Was always fine with that attitude for Phillipou as he was a known hard worker
Well that's certainly an issue, but not one I expect to hold him back in an AFL system where he won't get away with that anymore

But list spots?

Can we delist a player after the draft?

Let's say Dodson is still there at 28 (unlikely) and we can get a deal done with Essendon for the pick before Port. Can we take him and then delist Burgess/Strachan after the draft? Or does the spot have to be open before the draft? Meaning we'd be putting Welsh in jeopardy waiting for the rookie draft?

Hate to say it but I really like the mob down the road's range of picks in this draft.

Other than their NGA dynamic small forward Benny Barrett are any of their F/S's really worth a main list spot?

13, 29, 36 and 50

Pick 13
would almost certainly nab them Alex Dodson if they're that way inclined, if not Tobie Travaglia (Houston replacement) could slip through to them, if not elite kicker Xavier Lindsay would be a good get if available plus any that slip out of the current top 10 etc. Ollie Hannaford or Joe Berry would be a bit of a reach but as dynamite small forwards that can have a run through the midfield they would be good gets.

Pick 29 would likely get them a tall forward, one of Jonty Faull, Jobe Shannahan, Jack Whitlock, Thomas Sims, Kayle Gerryen or Gabriel Stumpf. Kayle Gerryen might be doubtful given I think he'll be a late bolter.

Pick 36 Could land them tall midfielder/utility Jack Ough, clever forward/mid Jesse Dattoli, clever forward Jasper Alger, outside mid Christian Moraes, mid/forward Tom Gross or rebounding defender Lacie Jaques if they miss out on Travaglia earlier.

Pick 50 even at this point there will be some real gems like local rebounding defender Angus Clarke, SA tall forwards Charlie West and Charlie Nicholls, mercurial medium forward Archer Day-Wicks, 190cm marking forward Josh Murphy, dashing mid Luke Urquhart, local small forward/mid Jacob Newton and dynamic small forward/mid Rhys Unwin.
Can’t see them taking Dodson with Visentini tracking nicely

Can definitely see them in the mix for a dynamic half back eg Travaglia or Lindsay ( starts at half back ) or one of the small forward jets either Hannaford or Berry with the 1st pick

29 could actually get them a great player like a Whitlock ( I think Jack goes earlier ) and later can see them taking Nicholls or Angove

I wonder if they’ll pull trigger on key defender as seem a bit light on there with Kyle Marshall and Clurey gone ???? Nicholls is a chance to be a key defender I guess

Well that's certainly an issue, but not one I expect to hold him back in an AFL system where he won't get away with that anymore
‘Won’t get away with that anymore ‘

Says who ? Of course some players get away with not getting best out of themselves or working hard enough

Stringer is prime example , done it for 11-12+ years

‘Won’t get away with that anymore ‘

Says who ? Of course some players get away with not getting best out of themselves or working hard enough

Stringer is prime example , done it for 11-12+ years
I mean, he will get found out very quickly if he doesn't adapt to an AFL environment. Stringer has still done more in his career than 90% of players ever achieve, I don't think that's the best example. Whether he's maximised that talent is another question, but he's still had a good career.

Can’t see them taking Dodson with Visentini tracking nicely

Can definitely see them in the mix for a dynamic half back eg Travaglia or Lindsay ( starts at half back ) or one of the small forward jets either Hannaford or Berry with the 1st pick

29 could actually get them a great player like a Whitlock ( I think Jack goes earlier ) and later can see them taking Nicholls or Angove

I wonder if they’ll pull trigger on key defender as seem a bit light on there with Kyle Marshall and Clurey gone ???? Nicholls is a chance to be a key defender I guess
They got rid of Tom McCallum as well, and Jake Pasini last year, though we're talking about 3 players who AFAIK didn't debut.

With Ratugolea potentially being FWD depth, would expect them to take a key back with one of their later picks.

They got rid of Tom McCallum as well, and Jake Pasini last year, though we're talking about 3 players who AFAIK didn't debut.

With Ratugolea potentially being FWD depth, would expect them to take a key back with one of their later picks.
Harry O’Farrell would be a good pickup for them, think he’s underrated somewhat due to lack of exposure (maybe not in clubland)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t like having so much draft capital with a player that doesn’t have a clear set position - and comes from interstate - as a combo

He can play - and play anywhere - but I am not sure there is a regular first 18 spot for him yet. Maybe it’s coming off the bench rotating through the forward line and wing. But he doesn’t start as a forward and I can’t see him starting as a wing at this stage

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
To clarify re second round pick…I had assumed so otherwise why did the deal go from day one to the last 15 minutes - surely it was about us giving up our second rounder and NOT getting their second rounder back?

My understanding is we either tried SWAPPING second rounders with GWS and also providing our third rounder for Peatling. OR give them our 2 third rounders (hence why we swapped our mid 40’s pick in a good draft to the Dees likely later pick next year in a worse draft). Ultimately we caved and gave up our second rounder with no second rounder in return. I just feel the reason it dragged on so long was us trying to keep a second rounder (either ours or GWS) in next years draft and the optionality to potentially use that to trade to Kangas for the pick upgrade.

My theory could be complete crap and can easily be trumped by Tigers anyway - assuming Kangas are willing to slide to 6 and not 4 (risk for Kangas with that is Dees taking a KPP at 5)

Which the begs the question: why the hell have we not manoeuvred our list around to get more picks. Surely Hamish would be hating this scenario.
Agree - definitely some blokes on our list very lucky to get extensions or not have been paid out early.

A couple of extra picks would have been great value this year.

Harry O’Farrell would be a good pickup for them, think he’s underrated somewhat due to lack of exposure (maybe not in clubland)
Trainor is far and away the best tall defender in this draft and if he passed his medicals OK pick 13 isn't a reach.

Think a taller Tom Stewart,, prodigious leap, good by foot and hasn't looked out of place when he's floated forward (kicked the winning goal in final game at the Nationals to give VM the win).

Trainor is far and away the best tall defender in this draft and if he passed his medicals OK pick 13 isn't a reach.

Think a taller Tom Stewart,, prodigious leap, good by foot and hasn't looked out of place when he's floated forward (kicked the winning goal in final game at the Nationals to give VM the win).
Without taking into account the concussion stuff, Trainor’s definitely top 10 for me. Arguably the most dynamic, well-rounded and impactful defender in the crop

But who knows where those concussion issues are at

Without taking into account the concussion stuff, Trainor’s definitely top 10 for me. Arguably the most dynamic, well-rounded and impactful defender in the crop

That will be answered draft night by where he goes.

You have to wonder whether we might be a bit gun-shy on Draper with his injury history, in particular with us having rolled the dice on Pedlar, and him continuing to have major shoulder issues, despite us knowing about those in his draft year...

'Draper is in Melbourne for this week's Draft Combine, however, the 2023 South Australia MVP won't take part in testing due to a chronic pars defect in his back.'

Can swing forward too. Hope for his sake the concussion issues aren't serious, looks a great prospect

You have to wonder whether we might be a bit gun-shy on Draper with his injury history, in particular with us having rolled the dice on Pedlar, and him continuing to have major shoulder issues, despite us knowing about those in his draft year...

'Draper is in Melbourne for this week's Draft Combine, however, the 2023 South Australia MVP won't take part in testing due to a chronic pars defect in his back.'
Hasnt stopped us many times in the past TBH

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back