Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Are people going to keep bringing up this idea that we have stuffed up by not having more picks in this draft?

We aren't at that point of the rebuild anymore. We have done our drafting phase - now we need to get to the draftees becoming players phase.

No good the Crows getting a bunch good picks in this year so they can be peaking in 5 years time !!

Time to see if what we have will get us to the promised land.

That is why we got the trades we got - because we don't have time to develop another raft of draftees with this current group.

We need our existing under 25 years old picks to continue to grow - and add in existing known quantities where we can.

Players like these need to form the bulk of our next premiership:

Thilthorpe 22 - pick 2
Rankine 24 - pick 3
?????? 18 - pick 5 (2024)
Rachele 22 - pick 6
Curtin 20 - pick 8
Jones 25 - pick 9
Pedlar 22 - pick 11
Fogarty 25 - pick 14
Michalanney 21 - pick 17
Cumming 26 - pick 20 (trade)
Edwards 19 - pick 21
Shoenberg 24 - pick 24
Cook 22 - pick 25
Ryan 19 - pick 27
Worrell 24 - pick 28
Berry 23 - pick 28
Soligo 23 - pick 36
Dowling 20 - pick 43
Taylor 22 - pick 44
Bond 20 - Pick 50
Nankervis 21 - PSD
Peatling 24 - Rookie (trade)
Murray 24 - SSP

Last edited:
Hope we take a chance on this guy

CHARLIE WEST (Woodville-West Torrens/Immanuel College) Key forward/ruck, 18, 195cm

“Charlie’s contested marking is his greatest weapon. He took 42 marks, including 20 contested, in six games as a bottom-ager at under-18 level last season, which highlights his marking ability. At his SANFL testing in February, he ran the 20m sprint in 2.9 seconds, which shows he has genuine speed for his size as well. He is the grandson of Wayne Jackson (former Eagles player and president and AFL chief executive) and is very much in contention for this year’s draft pool. He was an emergency for our league team in Round 1 but is carrying a bit of a groin injury at the moment. Charlie has massive upside.’’ – Eagles under-18 coach Shane Reardon

I mean, he will get found out very quickly if he doesn't adapt to an AFL environment. Stringer has still done more in his career than 90% of players ever achieve, I don't think that's the best example. Whether he's maximised that talent is another question, but he's still had a good career.
You want everything if your a number 1 pick which Smillie rates himself as

You have to wonder whether we might be a bit gun-shy on Draper with his injury history, in particular with us having rolled the dice on Pedlar, and him continuing to have major shoulder issues, despite us knowing about those in his draft year...

'Draper is in Melbourne for this week's Draft Combine, however, the 2023 South Australia MVP won't take part in testing due to a chronic pars defect in his back.'
I get the feeling our strategy has shifted in recent years.
I think we now avoid Vic Metro as much as possible and instead look at Vic Country more. I suspect we are also happy to overlook SA based players, with the plan to bring them back later.
Of course this is all reliant on the players being roughly equally rated.

You have to wonder whether we might be a bit gun-shy on Draper with his injury history, in particular with us having rolled the dice on Pedlar, and him continuing to have major shoulder issues, despite us knowing about those in his draft year...

'Draper is in Melbourne for this week's Draft Combine, however, the 2023 South Australia MVP won't take part in testing due to a chronic pars defect in his back.'

Hmmm... my Son had a pars defect... essentially meant if he didn't rest he would end up with a fracture in his spine. Basically had to sit out of sport for 12 months. But it healed nicely. Definitely not a good injury to be carrying.
baaaall! probably has more idea than most, but I think someone else posted a while ago that they caught Draper's pars defect early enough to manage his workload to address it.

I think that they expect to need to track the condition and manage into next year, but it's not considered a long term issue (apparently a condition that affects growing kids, but goes away once growing stops/ settles).

baaaall! does that sound right?

Are people going to keep bringing up this idea that we have stuffed up by not having more picks in this draft?

We aren't at that point of the rebuild anymore. We have done our drafting phase - now we need to get to the draftees becoming players phase.

No good the Crows getting a bunch good picks in this year so they can be peaking in 5 years time !!

Time to see if what we have will get us to the promised land.

That is why we got the trades we got - because we don't have time to develop another raft of draftees with this current group.

We need our existing under 25 years old picks to continue to grow - and add in existing known quantities where we can.

Players like these need to form the bulk of our next premiership:

Thilthorpe 22 - pick 2
Rankine 24 - pick 3
?????? 18 - pick 5 (2024)
Rachele 22 - pick 6
Curtin 20 - pick 8
Jones 25 - pick 9
Pedlar 22 - pick 11
Fogarty 25 - pick 14
Michalanney 21 - pick 17
Cumming 26 - pick 20 (trade)
Edwards 19 - pick 21
Shoenberg 24 - pick 24
Cook 22 - pick 25
Ryan 19 - pick 27
Worrell 24 - pick 28
Berry 23 - pick 28
Soligo 23 - pick 36
Dowling 20 - pick 43
Taylor 22 - pick 44
Bond 20 - Pick 50
Nankervis 21 - PSD
Peatling 24 - Rookie (trade)
Murray 24 - SSP
Yeah, we unfortunately had an overly extended initial draft focused period to our rebuild due to the fact that we had too many bust early picks prior than at least 2020, maybe even 2021 and hence too little talent in the lower age range early on. Our list management at least appears to have finally moved beyond that initial stage now and is topping up areas of need but still hanging onto the very early picks ie pick 4.

I don't think North will trade 2 until they see Richmond take Lalor. If he's still there at 2 I would assume they'd take him rather than trade the pick.

Unfortunately I think this means we're 0% chance of taking Lalor.

It depends on clubs ratings, needs combined with ours. I think Twomey's phantom draft will probably eye opening as his rankings are usually spot on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back