Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Langford has a cannon boot, but doesn’t have close to the kicking accuracy Dawson has

In my view, you’ve gotta have at least some level of athleticism (doesn’t have to be pace, can be as much as a nice sidestep) to be a high level midfielder. I haven’t seen that from Langford

He’s got a number of very good AFL traits, but I’m not nearly as confident he has the same ceiling as the quartet that’s been most talked about here
Bont was considered a bit of a bolter in his draft year too, who Langford plays a lot like. Langford has a lot of elite traits that have shown to translate very well to AFL level, there is nothing to suggest he has a lower ceiling than anyone else in that top few.

Sam seems to be firming as pick 1, but I have to post this in here for Mutineer

----

Lots of requests recently for more vision of Sam Lalor. Given his injury restricted 2024 season we have to go back to 2023 when he was a bottom ager. Here we see him putting in a remarkably powerful game as an inside midfielder given he's a year younger than most of his opponents, bulldozing through stoppage or crunching in with tackling pressure. He found plenty of the footy, but was uncharacteristically a bit variable with his disposal.

I hitched my wagon to Sam Lalor for this year's best draftee early last season and even though he's had a less than ideal season with niggles I've seen enough when he has played obviously underdone to not think about wavering in my initial thoughts. He's the Unicorn in this year's midfield laden draft.

Bont was considered a bit of a bolter in his draft year too, who Langford plays a lot like. Langford has a lot of elite traits that have shown to translate very well to AFL level, there is nothing to suggest he has a lower ceiling than anyone else in that top few.
Disagree that Langford plays a lot like Bont, the latter has that agility in traffic which allows him to have time and space in any situation - I don’t see that in Langford’s game

I’m just really unsure if Langford’s lack of athletic traits will translate at AFL level, when the defensive intensity goes up a notch - Langford won’t have as much time and space to dominate as he does at U18 level

The question is whether Langford's performances as a junior are due to his height and endurance advantage over other draftees, or whether he actually has abilities that would dominate at AFL level

Size and endurance are two areas where it is significantly harder to stand out at AFL level versus at junior level. Whereas speed, decision making and skills pretty reliably transfer to AFL level.

I don't know much about him, but I would hate to draft a player that is highly rated for reasons that won't transfer to AFL level.

We know he doesn't have pace, but if he's a clever player with elite ball use that would go a long way to making him worthy of a top pick. Great vision, excellent positioning, ball winner, hits targets, penetrating or zone breaking kick, goal sense, strong overhead... that sort of thing.

I hitched my wagon to Sam Lalor for this year's best draftee early last season and even though he's had a less than ideal season with niggles I've seen enough when he has played obviously underdone to not think about wavering in my initial thoughts. He's the Unicorn in this year's midfield laden draft.
Lalor is the one that could turn into a generational talent. He is that hybrid mid/forward that teams dream of.

Disagree that Langford plays a lot like Bont, the latter has that agility in traffic which allows him to have time and space in any situation - I don’t see that in Langford’s game

I’m just really unsure if Langford’s lack of athletic traits will translate at AFL level, when the defensive intensity goes up a notch - Langford won’t have as much time and space to dominate as he does at U18 level
You could say that about any draftee

It should easily be four years. There's no reason to think ANB will be finished at 31.

The chances of getting a 100+ game player at 28 is worse than a coin flip, yet alone what quality those games should be.

You've also misunderstood that poster's point - ANB is absolute quality in our half forward line. He may be there while Rankine pushes more into the midfield or - more likely - he's there while we push Murphy out of the side, but he's a quality first 18 piece.

ANB was sixth in their B&F in 2023 and 9th in 2022.

Your complete underestimation of him doesn't seem to be mirrored by anyone else in the footy industry, or any other analysis of the Crows' offseason.
You misunderstand. I wrote in my post about ‘the qualities he’s brings’. But do I think he was a need? No. Would I rather 15 years of Dodson or Hannaford? Yes.

The question is whether Langford's performances as a junior are due to his height and endurance advantage over other draftees, or whether he actually has abilities that would dominate at AFL level

Size and endurance are two areas where it is significantly harder to stand out at AFL level versus at junior level. Whereas speed, decision making and skills pretty reliably transfer to AFL level.

I don't know much about him, but I would hate to draft a player that is highly rated for reasons that won't transfer to AFL level.

We know he doesn't have pace, but if he's a clever player with elite ball use that would go a long way to making him worthy of a top pick. Great vision, excellent positioning, ball winner, hits targets, penetrating or zone breaking kick, goal sense, strong overhead... that sort of thing.
Scorpus the irony with Langford is that despite his size it’s his inside work that needs the most improvement.

He’s a big strong guy but isn’t great at using it. He lacks a good fend or swivel to get himself out of trouble which means too often he is wrapped up or at best gets a scrubbing kick out.

Now obviously that doesn’t sound particularly exciting but it’s his other stuff that makes up for it. He’s elite overhead which makes him a threat forward, clean below his knees, has a booming kick which he likes to use to transition the ball quickly, he tackles well and is excellent with repeat efforts. Also very much a team player.

I wonder if clubs are aware of his issues but feel with good coaching they can address them and as such think he has more scope for improvement than you’d usually expect from a player who is physically ready made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol everyone jumped on me for stating the obvious.

Someone said they’d be pissed if we went with Langford, someone asked why, I said he’s slow.

I didn’t say he was bad at football or I didn’t like him. That is just why everyone would be annoyed.

Overpaid for ANB is a joke are you serious this guy has been top 5 in dees bnf the last 3 years and if he plays a similar role to the one he had in melb which releases izak into the mid like he did with trac we have under paid for him fmd

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep, North gave 25 for Caleb Daniel. He was under contract I suppose, but makes ANB look like bargain of the century for mine.

Just my opinion.

I think I've finally settled o my top 10. Obviously Lombard and Ashcroft would have featured on the 3rd tier if available in the open draft.

1. Sam Lalor

2. Finn O'Sullivan
3. Sid Draper

4. Bo Allan
5. Jagga Smith

6. Josh Smillie
7. Harvey Langford
8.Tobie Travaglia
9. Aiixzander Tauru
10. Xavier Lindsay

If we hadn't used the pick on ANB I'd have taken Ollie Hannaford or Alex Dodson if either were still available

Just my opinion.

I think I've finally settled o my top 10. Obviously Lombard and Ashcroft would have featured on the 3rd tier if available in the open draft.

1. Sam Lalor

2. Finn O'Sullivan
3. Sid Draper

4. Bo Allan
5. Jagga Smith

6. Josh Smillie
7. Harvey Langford
8.Tobie Travaglia5
9. Aiixzander Tauru
10. Xavier Lindsay

If we hadn't used the pick on ANB I'd have taken Ollie Hannaford or Alex Dodson if either were still available
So you expect Draper gone. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back