Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Which realistically available player SHOULD we pick at #4?

• Sid Draper

• Jagga Smith

• Harvey Langford

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

If Draper had been injury free and we could see how he played in the back end of the SANFL season, do you think he might have firmed for the pick 1 position?
Had he played the entire season, then yes. To even still be in the conversation for pick 1 after the injury interrupted year shows how highly clubs rate him. I still see the likely scenario as him going to North or Carlton, with Langford falling to us.

Hey mate, completely fair point but for me at this point in a rebuild I value quality over quantity.

My thinking hinges on AFC recruiters having a clear favourite and him being there at pick 2. Maybe they don’t and they’re happy with Langford at 4. No need to move. Happy days.

But if they do, and he is available, the way I look at it is the player were taking next year at 12 is likely not essential to our next premiership, but the guy we are taking at the pointy end of this draft is… so why not get our favourite of the 4 this year at the expense of next years pick (4 + F1 for 2 + F2).

Let’s say our guy is FOS and we have him a full tier above the other guys on our rankings which is very possible. Just because Cal Twomey says the top 5 are all even, doesn’t mean our recruiters do. Move up, have the best guy we can.

We did it last year, why not again.

Target NWM or a free agent next year instead of going to the draft.
Going to want that F1 if we go after NWM. And even if we finish bottom 4 again, it probably won’t be enough on its own.

If Dodson is still at Richmond’s pick 18 or 20, would/should we trade our F1 for that pick and and a F2?
As time goes on i'm probably less inclined to use a F1 to snag a developmental ruck that will likely not see games for a year or longer. Watching Lloyd Meek dominate at his 2nd club really made me wonder if it's better to let another club do the leg work on developing a young ruck. And finally jump back on the ruck carousel next off-season.

The last few years has seen a few interesting SA ruck prospects go all over the country to start their development. Barnett, Goad, Verrall were all ruckmen draft options as 18 year olds, none have done much at AFL level yet as far as I've seen. But i'd be interested in how they go in their next season, see if any come on.

In a month we can probably add Dodson to that list.

Langford has maybe the best highlight reel.

I know that's meaningless, but it makes the idea of him a lot more interesting.

Shit he can take a good grab. Contested marking midfielder!
I really like Travaglia as well. He can take a strong grab also.

Langford has maybe the best highlight reel.

I know that's meaningless, but it makes the idea of him a lot more interesting.

Shit he can take a good grab. Contested marking midfielder!
With a month to go i'm leaning towards Jagga. I feel like anytime I see a clip of him i'm watching a young Zac Butters. Looks like the 'spark' player I would love to add into our midfield mix. Draper also has that high energy burst from stoppage trait, which would be valuable in our mix IMO.

But i'm honestly really not too fussed. I'm probably happy with any of them (including Langford).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just have to take best available, if it's Smith and Draper left at 4 I'm taking Smith.

I've already made it clear I prefer Langford over Draper.

Starting to think Draper will be the slider of the draft, there are too many Vic clubs up at the top of the draft and if we pass on him could continue sliding to Stkilda

The SA factor has to carry some weight in the decision. Not much, but it should have some.
Only if it's a lineball thing according to Hamish and Rendell before that, pretty sure they're both on the record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Back