Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Which realistically available player SHOULD we pick at #4?

• Sid Draper

• Jagga Smith

• Harvey Langford

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been wondering re this. Time to call in the expert Vader

Can we go one over our total list size on the night (say pick 4, Welsh at 60 ish AND an additional pick we create thru using 2025 draft collateral? And then obviously need to immediately delist and pay someone out soon afterwards?

My gut feeling is no that’s not possible but defer to your potential knowledge re this.

Clearly if it’s NOT possible we may still look at delisting and paying someone out before the draft if we feel there is a reasonable prospect of taking an extra pick on the night.
I've been giving this a bit more thought. My previous answer was No. My new answer is ****ing HELL NO.

The reason for this is that Delisted players have until 13th November to nominate for the draft. Delistings have to occur before this date, to allow the players a chance to nominate. To do otherwise would be to effectively terminate their careers, without giving them any opportunity for finding a new home. There is no way in this universe, or any other, that either the AFL or AFLPA would allow this to happen.

There appears to be a pretty clear top 5 for me (6 if you include Ashcroft). My preferred picks are:

1. Lalor/FOS
Project as the best 2 mids in it. Lalor has the higher ceiling and FOS the higher floor, but both look low risk, high return players that get the ball, take the game on and hit targets. Also dangerous forward of the ball. Both a bit underdone this year due to injury, but have still shown flashes of who they could become. I doubt either is available at our pick, but would grab them if they were.

3. Draper
He is not as polished as the rest of the top 5, but has speed and agility and finds the ball. He also takes the game on and gets the ball forward, which will suit our (projected) strong forward line up. Injury restricted his year, but I see that as an opportunity for future improvement rather than a risk. Has worked on, and improved, his disposal over the last year. He will never be elite by foot, but neither are many of the top end inside mids. A drop from the top 2, but above the next 2 as well.

4. Langford
Lacks a yard of pace compared with the rest of the top 5, but still gets plenty on the outside and takes on the game. Big game player with booming kick and is very good overhead. Best player at the nationals, without being a finished product. Despite being a big bodied mid, it's probably his contested game that has the most upside. The rapid improvement from last year suggests that there could be significant improvement to come. But the lack of pace isn't ideal.

5. Smith
Gets a heap of it and is really clean, but just doesn't hurt enough with his disposals. Super professional, no injury issues and highly rated from way out. But does this mean he's not got as much upside as those with a more interrupted run or coming from further back? I also think it's easier to improve Draper's kicks and Langfords fend/ baulk, than it is to sharpen Smith's playing style. And is vic metro.

Big gap to the next best.

Welsh and the Camporeale twins, what a watch they will be in the next few years given their complete evacuation from top 40 discussions. I'm so hoping Welsh is an all time draft steal after all the drooling we did a couple of years back
Ben Camporeale was All-Australian and got the MVP award for SA at the U18 Champs. I reckon he'll prove a decent pickup for Carlton. I don't know much about Lucas but I did see he got BOG in one of the games for SA too.

Might be another factor in why they're (apparently) very strongly considering Draper at 3.

The fact they're out of the Top 40 discussions is another signal on just how strong this draft is IMO.

Any predictions on how Dyson Sharp will compare to the above 6 players named by Big Dub?
He feels like Draper did this time last year. But a lot can happen over 12 months (good and bad, for him and for us).

He could be top 5 (Draper) or a potential rookie (Welsh).

If we pick correctly this year, we won't be in the running to get him. If we want to burn our membership cards, we could get him.

I'd hope he's a pipe dream by next year (with a massive go home factor).

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Back