List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft (Picks 13, 29, 36, 50, 94, 112, 130)

Remove this Banner Ad

No way we should be burning our first pick on a player coming off an ACL. It's too speculative and we really need to nail that pick now we've given up Houston for peanuts.

ACL isn't a big deal in itself. ( Robert Gray, Petracca, Gawn, James Sicily etc.)

Due diligence of course.

Think the first concern is athletic ablity.
Then work ethic.
Football IQ.
Character.

Stats say he can play.

The effort he put into extra training to improve his aerobic capacity suggests work ethic.

Family has played AFL and Sandringham Dragons. I'm thinking there's an understanding of football there.

Character. Port can sort that out.

But...we have no list spots. We can't be splitting any picks.
Not really

Dixon, McKenzie, Houston replaced by Luko, Atkins, Richards
McCallum is replaced by SPP back on the senior list

Expect the following delistings:
Kyle Marshall
Scully
McEntee (rookie)
FEvans
Williams (rookie)
Narkle (rookie)
Jackson

4 picks in National Draft, Cat B rookie in Barrett (hopefully), 2 Cat A rookies in Burgoyne and Montgomery

Those players in the delisting list are all that I dont see an AFL future in, except Scully. Jackson debatable, otherwise I won't lost any sleep over delisting the others.

There was a reason the club was desperate to get rid of one of Soldo or Clurey but looks unlikely now.

Don't split 13 (we don't have the list spots anyway). We have just added quantity - we desperately need quality.

Absolutely can't miss - we need to take the next Butters...quite possibly to replace him in a year or 2.
Exactly if anything we should move 29 and 36 up to earlier in the 20s not splitting 13.

Would rather give 13 and 29 for 20,23 and 24 from Richmond. I think they'll bite.

Would give us a crack at some variety at that stage of the draft, going by Cal Twomey's top 30

Trainor (tall defender)
Berry (small forward)
Dodson (ruck)
Shanahan (tall forward)
Cooper Hynes (medium forward/mid)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't split 13 (we don't have the list spots anyway). We have just added quantity - we desperately need quality.

Absolutely can't miss - we need to take the next Butters...quite possibly to replace him in a year or 2.
Thats the issue, its the least "bang for buck" area of the draft this year. So if we dont have Tauru or Hotton there then I'd much rather split it because the same quality will be there later (which is the best thing about this draft) and you get extra quantity too. We have the list spots if we get ruthless as I mentioned earlier. There's a bunch of players that won't even make reserves side of any other AFL clubs. I don't a player that fits our needs while also being top quality other than Tauru and Hotton. Reid is the other one but would be well gone by then.

Thats the issue, its the least "bang for buck" area of the draft this year. So if we dont have Tauru or Hotton there then I'd much rather split it because the same quality will be there later (which is the best thing about this draft) and you get extra quantity too. We have the list spots if we get ruthless as I mentioned earlier. There's a bunch of players that won't even make reserves side of any other AFL clubs. I don't a player that fits our needs while also being top quality other than Tauru and Hotton. Reid is the other one but would be well gone by then.
Unfortuantley we will not know if Alix Tauru and Taj Hotton are available becuase we will split pick 13 tomorow

Im going to be really upset if we do, i want quality not a bunch of second rounders

Unfortuantley we will not know if Alix Tauru and Taj Hotton are available becuase we will split pick 13 tomorow

Im going to be really upset if we do, i want quality not a bunch of second rounders
Thats the beauty of this draft, you will find the same quality with a bunch of second rounders too

Not really

Dixon, McKenzie, Houston replaced by Luko, Atkins, Richards
McCallum is replaced by SPP back on the senior list

Expect the following delistings:
Kyle Marshall
Scully
McEntee (rookie)
FEvans
Williams (rookie)
Narkle (rookie)
Jackson

4 picks in National Draft, Cat B rookie in Barrett (hopefully), 2 Cat A rookies in Burgoyne and Montgomery

Those players in the delisting list are all that I dont see an AFL future in, except Scully. Jackson debatable, otherwise I won't lost any sleep over delisting the others.

There was a reason the club was desperate to get rid of one of Soldo or Clurey but looks unlikely now.

Mcentee, Williams and Jackson have contracts.

Marshall, Scully, Narkle, Fevans makes 4 spots.

Assume Barrett goes in the national draft..he looks like he should. That would mean three picks in the draft and no spot for any father son rookies.

I think we should deal with GWS

Give: 13,29,36

Get: 15,17

Probably the only avenue left we have to finally get 2 first rounders after all this Houston trouble...
I am not kidding when I say I'd rather that extra pick. In a draft so even in quality, its one of the few times where quantity matters. Just make the decisions that have been overdue on the list spots.

I am not kidding when I say I'd rather that extra pick. In a draft so even in quality, its one of the few times where quantity matters. Just make the decisions that have been overdue on the list spots.
We had 36 2 year ago and it was used to select... Tom Mccallum...

Meanwhile we gave pick 58 to Collingwood which was once used to get both Dane Swan AND Lachie Neale

In my proposed trade we still hold on to pick 50 so there's that

Mcentee, Williams and Jackson have contracts.

Marshall, Scully, Narkle, Fevans makes 4 spots.

Assume Barrett goes in the national draft..he looks like he should. That would mean three picks in the draft and no spot for any father son rookies.
Contracts dont mean you can't delist them. We have plenty of salary cap and those guys are on minimum deals. Pay them out now while we dont have salary cap issues.

Barrett is shaping as unlikely to go in the ND. We've kept Barrett under wraps as well so I am not really sure, other than the state combine, if he's had much external interest.

These are the deals I'd try to do

36 and 50 for Brisbane's 27 or Essendon's 28

Then split 13 and 29 with Richmond for 20,23, 24

You end up with 20, 23, 24 and 27/28 in an strong and deep draft. 4 picks still which is what we've geared for. I'd much rather that (definitely rather that if we dont get Hotton or Tauru at 13) than 13, 29, 36 and 50

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft (Picks 13, 29, 36, 50, 94, 112, 130)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back