List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft (Picks 13, 29, 36, 50, 94, 112, 130)

Remove this Banner Ad

The highlights I saw showed him as agile, clean below the knees, and able to kick both feet.
Does physically resemble Scooter, but reckon he's a tad more athletic and skillful.

Didn't test well at the Combine. No pace over the short run and no stamina over 2ks. Think he was the last of the talls in both?

I like that he's agile and I really like him with the ball.

We would want to think he would thrive in a professional environment. Really in 2 minds about him.

Is it though?

I'd argue that Georgiades, Luko and Lord is better than both Collingwood and Melbourne won flags with.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably, but they have/had a better system. We have:

Luko & Georgiades
Marshall - gets concussed every game
Finlayson - one ordinary year from delisting
Lord - went backwards at a rate of knots, may be one ordinary year from delist/trade
Scully - may not even be on the list next year

And Luko isnt exactly a given that he performs

picking a key forward (Armstrong/Shannahan) with our first pick would be stupid in my opinion

Due to they're speculative nature, you never know if they are going to be good or not, a Hotton, Tauru or Allan gives us much more security.

On the other hand, almost every premiership team has at least one first round KPF and most AA KPFs are first round or first round equivalent. So if you want a dominant one, more often than not, you need to get one with a first rounder

My preferences would be to look at…..
Our first pick … 1.class running player (such as Taj Hotton or Xavier Lindsay)
Our 2nd pick … 2. Key Position Player , ideally a versatile type (such as Jobe Shanahan or Kayle Gerreyn)
Our 3rd pick … 3. Utility type, (such as Jack Ough, Hugh Boxshall)
Our 4th pick … 4. Best available…….. but we must not miss out on Benny Barrett.

My philosophy when it comes to Pick 13 would be, if in doubt take a midfielder because you can never have too many good mids.

Also you can usually turn a midfielder into a half back but you can't always turn a half back into a mid.

Could we take Berry at 13
Small forward some think best in this year's crop
And definitely fill a hole for us
Does it fill a hole for us?

Rioli, SPP, DBJ and now Richards. Then you have Barrett, Charleson and Anasta. If we are getting Berry, we must commit to a 2 tall forward line with Luko and Georgiades whilst never bombing the ball ever. Neither likely to happen so while I love Berry and yes he's the most complete small forward in this crop, we have to pass on him.

Regarding our picks:

Pick 13
will be pick 16 at worse due to F/S and academy bids (we will still have access to the same draftees as in pick 13 but everyone is just shifted down by 3 to make room for Levi Ashcroft, Leo Lombard, Isaac Kako who are all projected to go in the top 10)

Pick 29 will be around the same or pick 30 with the picks used for the F/S and academy bids (with picks 27, 28 eaten up) so goes down by 3 or come up by 2 based on the picks used to match.

Pick 36 will be around the same (plus or minus 2 spots)

Pick 50 will be the most affected and will be pulled down by 10 roughly so Pick 40
(Sam Marshall Lions & Ben Camporeale Carlton bids) this pick will be a huge swing in our favour with the picks in the 30's 40's & 50's eaten up after all the bids from the 4 various clubs.

Pick 94 - no one talks about this pick as its one of our last picks along with 112 & 130.
Pick 94 will be coming back into the 60s after bid matching and passing on picks. This pick could possibly used to match for Benny Barrett or Rome Burgoyne. If not these two can be rookie listed (Cat A & B)

The earlier picks we have won't be needed to match bids on our F/S's or NGA draftees as this draft is a strong draft and none of them were impressive throughout the season but rather had a good game here and there with no real consistency.
So we need to clear the list enough to at least use the first four picks (including the current 50) plus Barrett and Burgoyne.

My philosophy when it comes to Pick 13 would be, if in doubt take a midfielder because you can never have too many good mids.

Also you can usually turn a midfielder into a half back but you can't always turn a half back into a mid.
In this case, hopefully the mid can be used as a dangerous goal-kicking forward early in their career.

Does it fill a hole for us?

Rioli, SPP, DBJ and now Richards. Then you have Barrett, Charleson and Anasta. If we are getting Berry, we must commit to a 2 tall forward line with Luko and Georgiades whilst never bombing the ball ever. Neither likely to happen so while I love Berry and yes he's the most complete small forward in this crop, we have to pass on him.
Love the look of Barrett but in 17 games at SANFL reserves and U18 level, he kicked 7 goals and averaged about 17 disposals at each level. Tackle numbers are good though. Sounds to me like he is a McEntee replacement and hardly a goal-scoring threat.

Similarly, Richards isn’t a big goal scorer.

It’d be nice if we could draft someone with at least the ability to occasionally run amok up forward and kick lots of goals. Big finals are often swung by those types of players.

Didn't test well at the Combine. No pace over the short run and no stamina over 2ks. Think he was the last of the talls in both?

I like that he's agile and I really like him with the ball.

We would want to think he would thrive in a professional environment. Really in 2 minds about him.
Good point.

If you burn an early pick on a ruck, you want to make sure it pans out.

There is more security in using it on other types of players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft (Picks 13, 29, 36, 50, 94, 112, 130)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back