List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft (Picks 39, 58, 94, 112, 130)

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, while this draft is considered deep, there doesn’t seem to be the same top few players , ie those gun prospects .. and from what I see the blue chip guys you want as a piece of the trade in return for a star are around the top 12 or so. I think it changes after that, I don’t think the guys available around 16-25 are the same type of prospects. Seems more like the first dozen or so are close (and teams will have varying opinions about the order) and the next group again the same thing.

Also, while this draft is considered deep, there doesn’t seem to be the same top few players , ie those gun prospects .. and from what I see the blue chip guys you want as a piece of the trade in return for a star are around the top 12 or so. I think it changes after that, I don’t think the guys available around 16-25 are the same type of prospects. Seems more like the first dozen or so are close (and teams will have varying opinions about the order) and the next group again the same thing.
You get the two Whitlock brothers 200cm forw and def plus Hannaford in the 16 to 25 band.

I do not want the two Whitlock brothers, it doesn't suit our style and they've slipped a fair bit since start of the year with some questions marks on them

Reading all the scouting notes, watching highlights and looking at the many draft rankings. I have split the top 20 into 3 tier.
Tier 1
Smith, Ashcroft, O’Sullivan, Draper, Lalor, Reid.
Tier 2
Smillie, Langford, Lombard, Kako, Tauru, Travaglia.
Tier 3
Trainor, Armstrong, Hotton, Allan, Lindsay,Berry, Hannaford, Shanahan.
Obviously the 3 academy/Fs are off the board. But if we are to lose Houston we must keep our 25 1st round and pick up one of the tier 1 or 2 players.
Herald Sun now reporting we are asking for 13,23 Richards. Then we want to trade 13 to Sydney for 19,22. Giving us 19,22,23. I would just keep 13 then trade it for Sydney’s 2 picks.

Is it me or is the first round of this draft now starting to be severely overrated? I see the depth in the draft and would be delighted to have several picks between 20 and 40, but the value being placed on these first rounders between 10-15 just sounds insanely high.

FWIW, I think the only targets for Port in the top 12 (if we ever had a pick) should be Tauru, Hotton, Lalor and Reid. Outside of those, I'd much rather take more picks between 20 and 40. Dodson, Gerryne, Hannaford, Urquhart, Dattoli, Ough, Stumpf, West all would be in that range and better value than the picks expected to go in 10-18.

Feel like there's a misconception that the first rounders in this draft are elite. I dont believe even the top end of the first rounders are elite which I would consider to be Reid, Sheezel, JHF, Daicos etc. There's no one in this draft like that.

The strong point about this draft is its depth. The fact that even between pick 20 to 40 you have a high chance of getting a very good player who will play 200 games for you.

Is it me or is the first round of this draft now starting to be severely overrated? I see the depth in the draft and would be delighted to have several picks between 20 and 40, but the value being placed on these first rounders between 10-15 just sounds insanely high.

FWIW, I think the only targets for Port in the top 12 (if we ever had a pick) should be Tauru, Hotton, Lalor and Reid. Outside of those, I'd much rather take more picks between 20 and 40. Dodson, Gerryne, Hannaford, Urquhart, Dattoli, Ough, Stumpf, West all would be in that range and better value than the picks expected to go in 10-18.

Feel like there's a misconception that the first rounders in this draft are elite. I dont believe even the top end of the first rounders are elite which I would consider to be Reid, Sheezel, JHF, Daicos etc. There's no one in this draft like that.

The strong point about this draft is its depth. The fact that even between pick 20 to 40 you have a high chance of getting a very good player who will play 200 games for you.

With race horses you would have a crop of yearlings come through now and then and there would be occasions where you would break them in and start training them for their 1st preparation and think you had hit the jackpot because you would have 3-4 that you thought were well above average.

They weren't. The talent had just evolved to a higher level and what you thought was good was just the new average.

This crop is interesting. It's one of the things I kind of like about Hotton. Maybe he was the one who would have been the standout?

With race horses you would have a crop of yearlings come through now and then and there would be occasions where you would break them in and start training them for their 1st preparation and think you had hit the jackpot because you would have 3-4 that you thought were well above average.

They weren't. The talent had just evolved to a higher level and what you thought was good was just the new average.

This crop is interesting. It's one of the things I kind of like about Hotton. Maybe he was the one who would have been the standout?
Yeah I'm not sure if that is the case tbh. It is evident in the fact that there's no clear no.1 pick.

I don't see the "match winners" in this crop as much as I did in the previous ones. The only one I'd say could be a genuine game-changer is Tauru. He's still so raw yet already has shown a lot.

I would say Harley Reid, JHF, Sheezel, McKercher, Walter, Watson, W Ashcroft, N Daicos, Wardlaw, Darcy all showed game-changing abilities.

I see a lot of solid 200 gamers coming from this crop, more than any I can remember. You could get good core players with even pick 50. Whether they will be stars is what I'm not sure about. There's been a fair bit of inconsistency from the so-called top 10 prospects this year and that's perhaps why I'm not confident.

Hotton was right up there in no.1 contention before his injury. He perhaps was the other one I thought could impact games single-handedly.

Yeah I'm not sure if that is the case tbh. It is evident in the fact that there's no clear no.1 pick.

I don't see the "match winners" in this crop as much as I did in the previous ones. The only one I'd say could be a genuine game-changer is Tauru. He's still so raw yet already has shown a lot.

I would say Harley Reid, JHF, Sheezel, McKercher, Walter, Watson, W Ashcroft, N Daicos, Wardlaw, Darcy all showed game-changing abilities.

I see a lot of solid 200 gamers coming from this crop, more than any I can remember. You could get good core players with even pick 50. Whether they will be stars is what I'm not sure about. There's been a fair bit of inconsistency from the so-called top 10 prospects this year and that's perhaps why I'm not confident.

Hotton was right up there in no.1 contention before his injury. He perhaps was the other one I thought could impact games single-handedly.
I think you're underselling the top of the draft. Plenty to like there. In their years, Harley Reid and the Hornet were mouth watering but the rest of those names weren't considered match winners. There are a lot of guys with a lot of point of difference too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft (Picks 39, 58, 94, 112, 130)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back