Preview 2024 AFL Season, Round 17: St Kilda saints v Sydney Swans, Sunday 7th of July 3:20pm AEST, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Go back and read all the posts before jumping in next time
Ok. So you're saying

Max Hall - Named as a late emergency but not playing

shouldn't have been named in front of Hugo Garcia who's clearly not playing ad not named

But Hugo (who's not playing as he's not named) should have been named in front of Hotton who you say won't be listed next year.

That was all on page 14.

How far back do I go to set myself to rights?

Forward line looks very ordinary - would have stuck with Campbell and Marshall.

Cross Jones off the list for next year - he'd be feeling like Luke Dunstan did - unloved and unwanted.

He only has himself to blame if he gets delisted, he is lucky to have stayed on our list as long as he has given his lack of output.

I know he has had injuries but even when he hasn't been injured his form has been patchy at best and he isn't in our best 22 now.

The changes are what they are.

Hopefully Byrnes and Paton make the most of it.

They need to make the most of it, they won't get many more chances to prove that they deserve to be kept on our list next year.

Ok. So you're saying

Max Hall - Named as a late emergency but not playing

shouldn't have been named in front of Hugo Garcia who's clearly not playing ad not named

But Hugo (who's not playing as he's not named) should have been named in front of Hotton who you say won't be listed next year.

That was all on page 14.

How far back do I go to set myself to rights?
Boy oh Boy

Why did you even bother getting involved, doesn't matter you will be on that special list soon

The good thing we've got going at the moment is that Sandy are actually helping to develop our young players. They're playing competitive footy and vying for finals. Look at Phillipou over the last month, his game seems to have really come on.

For that reason there's no rush to bring players in to the first team. I'm happy for guys to develop at Sandy, and would love to see them have a crack at a VFL flag.

The one exception to that is Collard. Would love to see him hit some form and make his way into the first team, reckon he's a player that needs to find his feet and confidence at the top level.

Watching the Collingwood Essendon game. Essendon aren’t as bad as we think.
Gresh is.
But we lack the ability to play on.
That’s how you win these days.
Come on rtb you hindsighted campaigner.

The good thing we've got going at the moment is that Sandy are actually helping to develop our young players. They're playing competitive footy and vying for finals. Look at Phillipou over the last month, his game seems to have really come on.

For that reason there's no rush to bring players in to the first team. I'm happy for guys to develop at Sandy, and would love to see them have a crack at a VFL flag.

The one exception to that is Collard. Would love to see him hit some form and make his way into the first team, reckon he's a player that needs to find his feet and confidence at the top level.
Agree re Collard - could be a real player - great skills & natural goal sense BUT either just not that interested and/or hasn’t settled into the Melbourne lifestyle. Doubt he will make it - reckon he will be back over the Nullarbor before we know it. Great shame & hope I’m wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree re Collard - could be a real player - great skills & natural goal sense BUT either just not that interested and/or hasn’t settled into the Melbourne lifestyle. Doubt he will make it - reckon he will be back over the Nullarbor before we know it. Great shame & hope I’m wrong

I have the same doubts about young Collard too, I don't think he was all that happy about leaving WA and moving to Melbourne.

I can see him asking for a trade back home due to the homesick factor and becoming a star small forward for Freo or West Coast.

Typical of the Gen Z kids, Winmar wasn't all that happy about leaving WA either but he toughed it out and became a St Kilda star.

Don't get me started.

Gresh is.
Re: Essendon

I agree, but also, Meh, Essendon have a long way to go before they impress me tbh. We should have thumped them this year if not for our ineptitude to hold and capitalise on a lead and dominance.

They remind me of 2020 Saints, brought in a range of seasoned players from other clubs, have some quality youth playing well, lenient fixture, got off to a good run and kept the momentum going. Caddy looked like 2020 King last night. Merrett is phenomenal and carries them just like Steele did for us.

They might win a final like we did, hell they might even finish top 4, but for me there’s an asterisk around that given that this is the weakest top 4 I’ve seen in a long time, the comp is even as shit aside from Sydney.

I think they have a ways to go until they’re a finals threat, Collingwood were shite last night and they’re in danger of falling out this top 8 this round anyway. I would not be surprised to see Essendon drop off next year a la 2021 Saints. But who knows, they might nail that next step of development, and I’d be envious as if they take the step we didn’t.

Re: Saints

As for us, I maintain that our game plan is good. There’s always room for improvement and being able to adapt come game day, but frankly we have a greater concern with the quality of our list (and availability). We probably could play on more but then again I’m not sure that we don’t but rather our delivery and leading to kicks is just not where it should be right now, probably for a myriad of reasons.

I see no true way out except for continuing to draft and develop on our current trajectory (which I am very positive about). More kids like Phillipou, Wilson, Nasiah, Owen’s, Windhager, Shoenmaker etc, I’m on board for picks 4+5 this year. We are in a perfect window to bring in as much quality youth (ideally midfielders) as possible and develop them together.

Otherwise we will continue to have roller coaster seasons with adequate top ups and the odd great performances that see us max out at 5th on the ladder if everything goes our way. Unfortunately, this requires patience, but the way I see it is that we have been on this path, successfully, since the 2021 draft, and the club has made it clear since RTB arrived that we are taking a long term development approach here.

Yes it’s slow and perhaps frustrating, but look at the top 8, they’ve all had to do the same (some definitely aided by drafting concessions but that’s neither here nor there). In the meantime at least we are competitive enough to have many close losses to good teams. There’s easily a version of this season where we’re in the 5-8 range many some of our close losses and how tight the comp is.

Re: Tomorrow’s Game

Against Sydney tomorrow, I have no clue what to expect, but it’s nice that in my mind at least, I see a world where it’s a very competitive game despite our outs. Super keen to see Phillipou, Schoenmaker, Wilson continue to develop. Keen to see Henry, Owen’s, Windhager, Nasiah, continue in, and Sharman, Byrnes have much to offer.

To wrap this rant up, the batch of young players we have now, amidst the emerging opportunity to bring in more quality in this draft, has me enjoying the footy and feeling optimistic because it actually has some groundswell and long term potentiality to it that we have lacked for a while. Much water to go under the bridge yet, but what else can you do?

Just can’t see where our goals are coming from. Sharman and Membery are probably good for 3 or 4 total on a good day. Butler maybe 1, Mitch the same maybe 1 , 2 at the most.

That is 7 leaves an awful lot for Snags and the mid field.

At least when King was playing you could hope he has a day out and kicks 6.

All we can do is bottle it up and turn it into a defensive slog hoping to be competitive.

Just can’t see where our goals are coming from. Sharman and Membery are probably good for 3 or 4 total on a good day. Butler maybe 1, Mitch the same maybe 1 , 2 at the most.

That is 7 leaves an awful lot for Snags and the mid field.

At least when King was playing you could hope he has a day out and kicks 6.

All we can do is bottle it up and turn it into a defensive slog hoping to be competitive.
Ari’s going to kick 6 from the back flank.

Gresh is.
Ross latest mid week press conference he pretty much nails it.

We’re as good as any other team at defensive rebound and transition, poor at locking it in the front half, and (since he returned) stoppage has been our achilles heel.

Coaching will only iron out so much, but at the end of the day the players have to get the job done on game day.

Development and recruitment remain critical priorities for us right now. No point complaining about the past, just got to hit as many home runs as we can from here.

There’s still a lot to fix from a personnel perspective, I hope Dalrymple is well supported enough to be up to the job, especially when it looked like Toce was on a good run.

Dalrymple first selection of Max Hall hasn’t actually got me frothing at the mouth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back