AFLW 2024 AFLW season - Geelong & the greater league...

Remove this Banner Ad

They've called holding the ball against Pres a couple of times now where she hasn't taken clean possession of the ball and then been tackled without it

She needs to have thrown her hands out to the side - she'd get a free then, like that Melbourne player did in the 2nd term.

I swear to God the only reason Rankin gets selected is so we can all point and laugh at her.
Can't mark, can't kick, fast as treacle, soft as butter, and has a brain the size of a pea.
How she has been getting a game over the last few years has always baffled me.

We would be in front by more if we played one short, than give Sh*t truck Rankin time on the ground.

She's playing a different role tonight to what we've seen from her in previous seasons

Until tonight, she's been a mainstay in our defensive unit, but she's barely been in the defensive half of the ground tonight - Kennedy looks to have taken her

Instead, she's coming off the bench and playing more of a forward/wing type role - not sure if it's a long term thing, but there'll be a learning aspect to it

She's playing a different role tonight to what we've seen from her in previous seasons

Until tonight, she's been a mainstay in our defensive unit, but she's barely been in the defensive half of the ground tonight - Kennedy looks to have taken her

Instead, she's coming off the bench and playing more of a forward/wing type role - not sure if it's a long term thing, but there'll be a learning aspect to it

Not true.

She was in the backline for the entire 1st quarter and was horrendous. Dropped marks, butchered the ball and was embarrassed by her opponent.

She had to be moved and was tried on the wing and was barely any better.

Laid a great a tackle in the last and that was her only contribution.

Well ****

Bigger issue than the loss though, that incident in the third quarter between Kearns & Harris, saw Kearns bring herself straight off the field

She came off at the interchange gates and didn't stop running, taking herself straight to the rooms and a physio had get up from the bench to follow

Kearns hasn't reappeared from the rooms since then, which starts to look like something serious

We genuinely missed her from our backline in that last quarter

Hoping whatever it is, she's not out for long

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been watching tonight's game. Geelong is having a go but they look slow. Jacqueline Parry was a standout up forward but she didn't get much help. Georgie Rankin had a shocker, she doesn't understand that there are times you need to go. She would just jog towards the ball with no urgency. Maybe she is one-paced but it didn't look good. Darcy Moloney has skill but she kept trying to stand up in tackles and got pinged multiple times. It really hurt the team. Amy McDonald is like the energizer bunny but she has the worst kicking technique. She's had years to address that but it never changes. 25m would be her limit. Anna-Rose Kennedy is quick but she kept booting the ball out on the full.

Disappointing result, pretty exciting game of footy. Some great performances - AMac, Bowen, Prez, Parry. Thought Featherstone had a pretty good game and grew into it, especially given the role she was being asked to play. Kearns looks better and better in the backline. Crockett-Grills solid but faded late. Webster good when we could get it to her. Overshadowed a bit by Kenny's debut (and I thought she was decent) but that was Kennedy's second senior game - loved her willingness to run hard forward once she had it.

Early days but I do wonder if Lowther will face some difficult decisions at selection in the next couple of weeks. Rankin has been a legend of this team but looked way off it tonight. Are they going to be willing to pull the trigger on really established senior players?

I swear to God the only reason Rankin gets selected is so we can all point and laugh at her.
Can't mark, can't kick, fast as treacle, soft as butter, and has a brain the size of a pea.
How she has been getting a game over the last few years has always baffled me.

We would be in front by more if we played one short, than give Sh*t truck Rankin time on the ground
Your comments are mean but she definitely was a liability tonight. Lack of speed, lack of urgency, normally she's better than that.

I've been watching tonight's game. Geelong is having a go but they look slow. Jacqueline Parry was a standout up forward but she didn't get much help. Georgie Rankin had a shocker, she doesn't understand that there are times you need to go. She would just jog towards the ball with no urgency. Maybe she is one-paced but it didn't look good. Darcy Moloney has skill but she kept trying to stand up in tackles and got pinged multiple times. It really hurt the team. Amy McDonald is like the energizer bunny but she has the worst kicking technique. She's had years to address that but it never changes. 25m would be her limit. Anna-Rose Kennedy is quick but she kept booting the ball out on the full.
Hits targets regularly, though. Think that's more valuable than distance TBH.

Farcical umpiring again - Crockett-Grills with her head over the ball gets cannoned into - no free, then they pluck one out of their arse the other way.
It was like the ump only new holding the ball, so many high tackles were missed, and holding.

In the last quarter the umpires totally ignored holding/dropping the ball. I counted several before I gave up. I understand wanting to allow the game to flow but some of the non-decisions were farcical. A couple of times players stopped dead after a blatant holding the ball and looked to the umpire who ignored it, and then had to start competing again.

One positive from tonight - we didn't fade out in the 2nd half like we did so many times last season. The club had said they were working on that in the off-season, and it looked like it tonight.

Rankin has never been great but she's at worst been hard at it and solid defensively, she was horrid tonight and looked to be stuck in slow motion, very soon she's going to find herself on the club podcast and out of the side.

Kennedy I thought showed heaps.. She had some super moments and you can see why they played her for her first game in a prelim, she'll just get better and better.. Super athlete.
KK looked good and will only get better, Lady Lingy battled I thought, bit of rust there but she'll be better for the run, we missed Scheer up forward.. And Shurman may find herself missing out and that Smith we traded in getting a shot at it.

I actually thought Featherstone had a real crack as an undersized ruck and it was the best she's looked.

Frustrating loss, really shouldn't have dropped that one but it was a very watchable high pressure game

Leading possession winners

McDonald 28
Prespakis 21
Webster 20
Friswell 19
Morrison 18
D.Moloney 18
Crockett-Grills 17
I didn’t see the game , but were McDonald’s possies elite or a bit butchered ? Watching her she gets the ball and wins contests but her skillset not that elite……

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW 2024 AFLW season - Geelong & the greater league...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back