2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
I think North will ask for both 7, 8 for 2 from us. IF we do the trade I think there are a couple of realistic options:

Option 1:

2 For 7 + Stk F1

This deal could also involve a 3rd party where we trade our F1 for a later pick like 14 from Freo etc.
We still get one of the slider mids at 8 as there would be an unwritten agreement of North taking Tauru/Armstrong at 7.

Option 2:

2 + Nth F1 For 7 + 8
We have 2 x likely top 5 picks next year + our choice of the top group of mids. Have 2 high value F1 to trade back in this year or just hold for next year and hope they are before the F/S and Academy bids so we can threaten to bid again and extract more value next year.

Ultimately I think it's a moot point because Richmond just do the deal with North. North will try to threaten to take the deal to St Kilda for leverage and then Richmond just sit pretty saying they have 2 top 6 picks anyway and don't need to overpay.

There's a lot of options for them both could be 6 + 11 or 18, potentially North trade their F1 with Richmond for another pick this year. We just don't have enough to get the deal done ahead of Richmond without grossly overpaying.
We may hold on pick 7 but split 8 with GWS, which hold 15,16 & 21

We may hold on pick 7 but split 8 with GWS, which hold 15,16 & 21
I think this is our best value option IF GWS are interested. There was a report that they knocked back pick 3 from WCE for picks 15 & 16 during the trade period. I know value changes when there is a live draft board so I hope we could pull it off and without giving our F1 which I'm now fully expecting is 4-6 next year.

Why wouldn't we approach Richmond to trade 7 & 8 to them for 6 & 10? Their second pick only slips back behind us, and their 3rd pick now comes in ahead of Melbourne's second pick, so if they want to take a tall, they've just improved their position! We just improved our first pick to guarantee one of the prime mids, and whomever we wanted with our second is likely to be a toss of the coin anyway......

And as Richmond has pick one, they get the pick of all the mids anyway........
Because there is a possibility that we get 2 gun mids at 7&8 if things go our way

Any sort of trade involving 7 or 8 would be a live trade after we know exactly what's happened before us. If Tauru + Reid/Armstrong get taken before us, we are guaranteed 2 of FOS/Lalor/Draper/Jagga/Smillie/Langford. If we trade up early then we miss out on one of them at 10

Yep I'm banking on Melbourne taking Reid too, I think he's a good fit for them. They don't really have that classy and creative ball-winning inside mid who can also play as a high half forward

Just gotta pray Norf take Tauru whether its 2 or 6 then Melbourne take Reid. Still a chance we end up with Jagga and Smillie
Neither do we. Reid would look good in the red, white and black.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

And the rape scandals Milne, and Lovett Murray then the Stanley drug issue. I know a lot of us here like to give the club a kicking for picking "good boys" instead of "good ol' boys" or bad boys with talent, the problem is we aren't Collingwood with a president that specializes in media control, nor Carlton or Essendon with deeper than deep pockets, or WestCoast with deep pockets and a tame media.

We need sponsor money and sponsors don't like scandal I'm not surprised we have picked so many good boys and I think the reasons why are obvious.
All valid points however it’s fair to say the Elshaugh years set us back a hellava lot

Because there is a possibility that we get 2 gun mids at 7&8 if things go our way

Any sort of trade involving 7 or 8 would be a live trade after we know exactly what's happened before us. If Tauru + Reid/Armstrong get taken before us, we are guaranteed 2 of FOS/Lalor/Draper/Jagga/Smillie/Langford. If we trade up early then we miss out on one of them at 10
Smillie the only one likely to slide to our pick out of that group of players

It's likely Harry Armstrong or Alix Tauru will be in the mix before our picks, but in the unlikely event we are met with this we would look at what offers are available to slide, then if no trades tempts us we may take the next best mids in Taj Hotton and Murphy Reid or look at Bo Allan or even Xavier Lindsay. With any luck we shouldn't find ourselves in such a plight.
Bo Allan is an excellent prospect with huge potential upside!

if LDU and Brayshaw were locked away as Free Agents at the end of 2025 and Hugo Garcia, Pou and Clarke were about to breakout next season, would you want to draft any 2 mids or the 2 best players?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if LDU and Brayshaw were locked away as Free Agents at the end of 2025 and Hugo Garcia, Pou and Clarke were about to breakout next season, would you want to draft any 2 mids or the 2 best players?
Nope, would probably look at a KPD and the next best mid.

Why stop there though, why not assume we'll also get Worpel, Tom DeKoening and Rayner too.

And Langford. Others unlikely, yes, but Curtin slid to 8 last year while Wilson was a slider too
Curtain yes, but Wilson was never expected to go top 10, I'm not really sure why though. Even in the lead up to the draft, Wilson was the one everyone at Saints wanted outside of the top 6 or 7. Was a strange draft with Wilson and Leake sitting there at our pick.

This year, we really got dealt a poor hand as soon as Trainor got hurt, he was near on guaranteed to go before 7. We can only sit back and hope that Armstrong or Tauru go early now.

As for Tauru, I'm taking him if we don't get suitable offers for pick 8 and he is there. I am spooked by the talk of Reid being a small forward at AFL level, I rate him, but we've got to be confident that guy will be in the guts.

For everyone saying must go mids, that's exactly why we didn't draft Naughton.

We've brought in Windy, Wilson, Garcia, Pou, maybe Nas, Henry, Macrae, maybe Owens and Hastie, Hall... that's a lot of mids over a few years. Yes we want a grade but we can't ignore the best talent either.

If we got Smillie & Tauru and grabbed LDU as a free agent, then we've done very well also.

The more we discuss it, it seems a genuine possibility we miss out on the rolled in gold top mids, If no one grabs a tall ahead of us. Which would seem an enormous missed opportunity, in a rare year people within the top 6 might be open to a slide.

Call it reckless but I genuinely think we should be doing all we can to trade up to 2. While there’s every chance our best offer wouldn’t get it done, it’d be offering 7, F1 + 31 (or future 2nd) for pick 2.

I hope SOS and crew have some decent mail on what other sides are doing in the top 6.
The play for pick 2 may happen but perhaps not until draft night

Let’s be honest, Josh Battle was drafted at pick 39 way back in 2016 and spudded it up as a forward for years. He was turned into a defender as desperation two years ago, to get pick 8 in a super draft is incredible.

We need to find the next Dustin Martin, Sam Walsh or Patty Cripps, not the next Josh Battle.
If Richmond take FOS at #1, we should go hard for #2 to get Lalor

Henry is being groomed into that role too

+ Wilson, Garcia potentially
I can definitely see Wilson grow into a bona fide midfielder. His athletic profile is very similar to a young Dangerfield... but with a bigger tank. A few times late in the season he burst from a midfield stoppage & no one could go near him.

Whoever compared him to Max Holmes was bang on the money. Hopefully a very similar trajectory for ahead for Darcy.

I'm 100% sold on a Smilie or Langford & Reid or Lindsay combo at 7 & 8.

Gives us the brute insider and the high IQ distributor that will compliment the guys we already have beautifully.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back