2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

We can't 'officially' match. He's an unrestricted free agent.

At best we put in our best offer... if that's not good enough then that's Battle's call, not ours.

Don't get sucked into the usual 'we're selling him off for picks' rubbish.

If the numbers are accurate, St K have made an offer of $4.8 million over 6 years... surely that is overs for a quality 3rd tall defender (one of the more easily replaced roles TBH.)
He’s an intercept defender which are some of the best paid. We will end up paying capital away to replace him with a worse player.

He’s an intercept defender which are some of the best paid. We will end up paying capital away to replace him with a worse player.
Seeing as you can apparently foresee the future Nostradamus, mind giving us this Saturdays Tatts numbers please?

Top 10 highest paid players 2024 (https://www.sportsbet.com.au/huddle/afl/news/highest-paid-players)

1Ben McKayEssendon$1.5M
2Dustin MartinRichmond$1.35M
3Nat FyfeFremantle$1.15M
4Jeremy McGovernWest Coast$1.1M
5Tim KellyWest Coast$1.1M
6Marcus BontempelliWestern Bulldogs$1.1M
7Clayton OliverMelbourne$1.05M
8Christian PetraccaMelbourne$1.05M
9Jeremy CameronGeelong$1.05M
10Tom LynchRichmond$1.025M

There's one true intercept marker in the top 10 (and only 3 in the top 20) plus a spud that Essendope overpaid by about $700k.

We'll have to replace Steele pretty soon so it's fortunate we might have an early pick or two to do so.

Because Mac Andrew comes out of contract next years and will get offers of a million plus.
You're just guessing, without sounding rude you have no idea about any teams salary cap just like the rest of us

I said Butts and another crows defender and I didn’t know who were being looked at.

Starting to think it might be Keane.
I think Keane will end up back at Collingwood but he's a classic example of the sort of player that could replace Battle without costing the earth and without destroying our defensive structures.

Internally I think Caminiti could do the job but I'd prefer him to stay forward.

Last edited:
He signed his last contract when Ratts was still messing around with him on a wing.

Short memories how Battle was thought of by many on this forum back then.

Wasn’t deserved of a bigger deal then and probably wanted to hold off for a pay day now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you can revise that deal at any point. could have locked him in last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like this kid he moves and presents like a true CHF and believe he has a big future. Would be nice to get him with our 2nd round pick.

Yeah he's a real old school tall forward. I rate him.

Or maybe they’re sticking to their list management strategy by not throwing stupid money at him after offering what seems to be a very good deal.

Hawks are paying more as is to be expected from a club attempting to lure a free agent. We should not be trying to outbid them.

Last edited:
Seems like Battle leaving is a foregone conclusion. My question is who takes his spot next year? Ari seems too raw for that responsibility and may never end up being great defensively. Do we turn Caminiti into a defender and bring Keeler or Heath in as the third forward/second ruck? Do they play Sharman in defence again? They don't delay Haynes from GWS' retirement for another season do they?

Seems like Cooper's forward craft is too valuable and he lacks the strength to hold down a permanent spot in defence. While Hammer and Dougal have size, that would make for two clumsy mofos giving away free kicks and shanking kicks in D50.
If Ari is too raw then I don’t see how Keeler or Heath are options. Neither of those two have been close to debuts.

Reckon Ari will be ripe for the spot with hopefully a full 2nd pre season.

We had him doing extra running at Sandy last pre season to remove the dough, which he responded to beautifully. Reckon he‘ll level up again and have a great year once he builds some strength and muscle tone.

Webster’s role becomes really crucial to help Ari defensively next season.

Shoenmaker Howard Wilkie
NAS Sinclair Webster
Stocker (Int)

If Ari is too raw then I don’t see how Keeler or Heath are options. Neither of those two have been close to debuts.
Young players are too raw until suddenly they're not.

Opportunity is what they need. I recall plenty of talk about how Nas wouldn't be ready for 3-4 seasons to make any impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back