2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ed Phillips ?
Was he as good as DMac, prior to the latter’s surprising little sparkle at the end? Didn’t watch much then, but I didnt think Ed excited the fans much.
Frawley was a romantic choice I guess…and a bust.

Ed was another we culled just as he started coming good.

Ed Phillips ?
Was he as good as DMac, prior to the latter’s surprising little sparkle at the end? Didn’t watch much then, but I didnt think Ed excited the fans much.
Frawley was a romantic choice I guess…and a bust.

Ed was nothing great, but he was a good depth mid. One game he came on as sub and kicked a few goals, so he wasn't a waste of space. I'd have rated him similar to Byrnes. We pissed him off, to bring in a waste of space.

Ed was nothing great, but he was a good depth mid. One game he came on as sub and kicked a few goals, so he wasn't a waste of space. I'd have rated him similar to Byrnes. We pissed him off, to bring in a waste of space.
Well that’s interesting.
Phillips only played 15-20 odd senior games and Ronnie Byrnes has played 59. And they both average(d) 16 disposals.

Adrian Cole gets a mention here by Twomey's next best 10.

Adrian Cole

Tall defender
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
195cm
5/1/06

Cole is a lockdown key defender who was able to shut out key opponents through Vic Metro's title run. Often tall defenders as draftees have attacking mindsets, but Cole's strengths lie in his ability to put forwards to sleep with his tight-checking and one-on-one work. Cole is a member of St Kilda's Next Generation Academy.

Metro MVP Murphy Reid played mostly on ball in his three other Champs games, but showed his versatility in this performance playing predominantly wing and half forward. He was still one of Metro's most productive players, using his poise and precision to cut through the WA defensive lines.

Totally incorrect.

His disposal the issue.

A walking turnover.

He covered the ground ok… & never had burst speed anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i disagree on that hence why GC were seen asking Luke questions around his running capability in the doco the AFL commissioned with amazon.

but lets park that and go with it was Luke's disposal that was the issue.

Luke Dunstan in his final season at the saints averaged 25 disposals. right now Hunter is averaging 17. But here's the kicker. Luke's disposal efficiency was 66%... hunters 55%.

their turn overs and clangers very similar at 4.2-3.9 and 5.4-4.6.

you have to remember luke was playing at the coal face. he was a pure inside mid who's job was to win clearance and distribute it. so if anything his disposal should be significantly poorer than Hunters, who is used in a sweeping role across half back with stints through the middle. many of hunters kicks are under no pressure.

so if luke was moved on because his disposal is supposedly so bad... "couldn't hit the side of a barn" a "walking turn over" then your description of hunter this season must be amazing.

i disagree on that hence why GC were seen asking Luke questions around his running capability in the doco the AFL commissioned with amazon.

Luke Dunstan in his final season at the saints averaged 25 disposals. right now Hunter is averaging 17. But here's the kicker. Luke's disposal efficiency was 66%... hunters 55%.

you have to remember luke was playing at the coal face. he was a pure inside mid who's job was to win clearance and distribute it. so if anything his disposal should be significantly poorer than Hunters, who is used in a sweeping role across half back with stints through the middle. many of hunters kicks are under no pressure.

so if luke was moved on because his disposal is supposedly so bad... "couldn't hit the side of a barn" a "walking turn over" then your description of hunter this season must be amazing.
I thought ratts ended his career a bit too early. He was worth hanging onto but ratts just hated him. Thought the same about Jack lonie, we should have kept him atleast for depth.

Maaaaaate cmon, surely you're taking the piss?

Are you seriously arguing that Dunstan's disposal wasn't the major thing holding him back??? GC asking him about his spread in a doco? We watched him butcher the ball live with our own eyes for nearly a decade!

It wasn't his kicking out of congestion that was the issue, it was when he had a simple kick (or handball) under little pressure that he routinely cooked.

I know I inflame you a bit so you usually are the first to disagree to anything I post but just so I'm clear...

You're going on record as stating Luke Dunstan was a better kick than Hunter Clark?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was more an outside wingman type than a true mid. Bringing in Hill was probably the end for him.

What have Dunstan & Lonie done since we let them go?

Lonie was getting talked up as a mid season draft potential a couple of years back. Sounds like he was playing Ammos and getting crazy stats.

I think Lones is at the Dogs VFL in a coaching role now and was doing carpentry for Stewie Loewe at one point. Dunstan might have worked with Stewie too I think. He was injury cover in a strong side until he did his knee.

I thought Dunstan played his only good season in his last year with us. That was handled really badly. He said that he'd rather give up footy than go back to St Kilda. That's not a slight misunderstanding.

Adrian Cole gets a mention here by Twomey's next best 10.

Adrian Cole

Tall defender
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
195cm
5/1/06

Cole is a lockdown key defender who was able to shut out key opponents through Vic Metro's title run. Often tall defenders as draftees have attacking mindsets, but Cole's strengths lie in his ability to put forwards to sleep with his tight-checking and one-on-one work. Cole is a member of St Kilda's Next Generation Academy.

Having watched him I don't think he'll be getting too clubs many chasing hard. He looked very much a player who would go outside the top 40 to me. Well worth taking but don't think he looked stand out at all.

I'd have prime Crouch pretty close to an A grader. He's not a superstar now, but he was incredibly reliable. If he had of gone to a Carlton, Essendon, Hawks, Pies, or Richmond, the media would've made a far bigger deal over what he brings to the table...and would probably have another AA under his belt.
We should use this as a recruiting gimmick.

Tired of the AFL spotlight? Come and join St Kilda and get your personalized cloak of invisibility.

Well that’s interesting.
Phillips only played 15-20 odd senior games and Ronnie Byrnes has played 59. And they both average(d) 16 disposals.

He was one of the developing players that was starting to show a bit just as we cut him. He was playing good footy in the VFL and deserved more chances. Brad Hill struggled playing wing under Ratts and Richo.

Matt Crouch was available two years ago. We must have been way ahead of myself because, we didn't bother. He'd easily have gotten a game in our weak mid-field.

I thought Dunstan played his only good season in his last year with us. That was handled really badly. He said that he'd rather give up footy than go back to St Kilda. That's not a slight misunderstanding.
He played 4 good games in a row, 2 of which were at the G in the wet.

Then he sooked when Ratts gave him a specific role & that was the end of the clanger king.

Maaaaaate cmon, surely you're taking the piss?

Are you seriously arguing that Dunstan's disposal wasn't the major thing holding him back??? GC asking him about his spread in a doco? We watched him butcher the ball live with our own eyes for nearly a decade!

It wasn't his kicking out of congestion that was the issue, it was when he had a simple kick (or handball) under little pressure that he routinely cooked.

I know I inflame you a bit so you usually are the first to disagree to anything I post but just so I'm clear...

You're going on record as stating Luke Dunstan was a better kick than Hunter Clark?

correct. dunstan's disposal wasn't the issue. he couldn't run and spread, which made him a liability in the midfield. there were no defensive efforts. couldn't zone or transition. once the ball got out, he found it hard to have an impact. which meant he couldn't accumulate and he couldn't contribute to scoring chains. around the contest he could impact it, but thats only one part of being a mid. the acquisition of crouch effectively cooked him. he was essentially a better version of cockie if you remember him.

if you look at the disposal of your inside mid grunts its not great. for example look at nat fyfes disposal. what he did
have was a good tank and overhead was great. offensively good.

right now hunter clarks disposal is worse than dunstan was, yes.

hunter clark at his best, his disposal is seriously better, but that's not happening right now and hasn't for a while. he's absolutely butchered it this season. but like dunstan his issue is he can't accumulate or have any meaningful impact as a midfielder because he has no tank nor burst.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back