2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly reckon our second round pick could end up as good as our first. You get to pick more of your preferred options with high picks but this is a deep and even draft. Players in the 20s could end up some of the real cream.

Dalrymple has picked up Dylan Stephens and Logan McDonald with his two recent high picks at Sydney. His best success is Chad Warner at 39. The really good recruiters are usually solid with their high picks but what separates them is that they get maximum value from the later picks. That's why I rate Toce so much. He managed to find really high upside players with later picks.

We shouldn’t forget that Dalrymple (Sydney) bid on Michito.

Yeah, for a club that seems to have luck punch in the balls and steal our wallet we've been extremely lucky with how the drafts have fallen in the last couple of years.

Garcia, Hastie, Keeler etc all look very likely too. McLennan, Hotton, Van Es types haven't set the world on fire yet but all would be unlucky not to stay on the list and have upside.

The only one I have questions about is Collard and not because he can't play. I think on talent he's got heaps of potential but go home factor and attitude might stop him reaching his peak with us.
Yeah the luck element is an interesting one, and often saved from ourselves as well.
The 2020 draft itself was a complete write off but the decisions taken that year still facilitated Snags, Coops and Moose, and though the 2022 draft is still TBD it was seen as an excellent haul at the time.
Even if Collard doesn't work out l think they did the right thing and took talant first, backing the club culture to keep him. Any other decision falls into loser mentality.

Last edited:
I honestly reckon our second round pick could end up as good as our first. You get to pick more of your preferred options with high picks but this is a deep and even draft. Players in the 20s could end up some of the real cream.

Dalrymple has picked up Dylan Stephens and Logan McDonald with his two recent high picks at Sydney. His best success is Chad Warner at 39. The really good recruiters are usually solid with their high picks but what separates them is that they get maximum value from the later picks. That's why I rate Toce so much. He managed to find really high upside players with later picks.
speaking of Sydney. at the doggies, Dalrymple nailed alot of picks from both early to rookie.

at Sydney his first round picks werent great, but how much input would Kinnear Beatson have had on early rounds? he strikes me as a bloke who likes to get what he wants.

just find it strange he would lose his first round touch by going elsewhere

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

speaking of Sydney. at the doggies, Dalrymple nailed alot of picks from both early to rookie.

at Sydney his first round picks werent great, but how much input would Kinnear Beatson have had on early rounds? he strikes me as a bloke who likes to get what he wants.

SOS strikes me the same way Beaston did you.

at Sydney his first round picks weren't great, but how much input would Kinnear Beatson have had on early rounds? he strikes me as a bloke who likes to get what he wants.

I'd suggest that Sheldrick would have played by now if he'd been one of ours.
Hell, Luke Parker couldn't crack a game for ages.
Sydney have a history of holding young players back, remember when Mitchell was unleashed?

Thats the thing every draft is different and this years group there will be kids taken in the 50's that might have been considered around 30 in past years. To make such broad statements is simply not accurate and misleading.

As an example the draft year Allison was taken in at #26 - 2020 was really shallow and washed out before he was taken. Some punters are suggesting next years draft will be similiar.
My point was more a case of you don’t go into a draft thinking.

I’m going to take this kid in a “live” draft at pick 43 and we are confident he will be there.

Once the second round is half way through everyone is reevaluating their talent boards and see what’s left and do they move up/down or out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we leap frog GC and Melbourne by years end. I'm going to be certifiably I know.
I mean what the hell’s wrong with them?
Haven’t they got pride or something to play for?? 😉

Elwood Peckett with 5 goals BoG yesterday.

Kicked 2.1 the week before. With 19 touches and 13 tackles.
Excuse the ignorance but is he eligible for this year’s draft and F/S?
Maybe we’ll have some luck for a change.

I watched the Dandenong vs Bushrangers game overnight, the game stats havent been posted yet. Peckett kicked 5 goals and played really well, you would think he is a certainty to get picked up now. Cooper Hynes BOG by a fair margin if he keeps playing like that he will be a bolter come draft night. Some of his skills and evasive work were sublime. Langford was a bit quiter but his intent in everything he does screams AFL football IMO.

I am still trying to work out why scouts/punters are rating the Whitlock twins so highly. Both remind me of watching Max Knobel run around they are all arms and legs. Jack was easily beaten by Riak Andrew in a number of one on one contests. For me I wouldn't be interested at looking at either prior to the top 40.

Joe Berry played through the midfield and didnt excel, he looks a lot better when left around goals.

I was impressed with a tall Murray defender Reuben Bourke 196cms. He didnt get a lot of it but what he does is at 110% and plays with a hard edge, doesnt take a backward step which I like to see. He hasnt been mentioned in any of the phantoms but is another smoky to be considered late.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back