2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

After the smashing, we really need our own clearance machines who can win the first ball and burst away, kick a goal or two each game .. Is this Lalor and Langford?

Also, more mids, mids and mids.. Brisbane has mids playing HF; Sydney bulldogs too. You can’t have too many mids.. I would draft/trade in 4-5 mids this off season if possible… Let Crouch, Ross go.

Last edited:
Participation in this board's attempt at a phantom draft has given me the impression that although the first two rounds are quite deep in quality, it quickly dries up after that.

Although admittedly my research starts and ends with footy media's take on the the top 30, hopefully our scouts are a bit more resourceful!

Some phantoms have guys like Lucca Grego going in the 60s and some that would usually be drafted not even on the list. The depth is quite incredible. Obviously once you get outside the 40s of any draft they get a bit more speculative but there is talent worth speculating on in this one.

After the smashing, we really need our own clearance machines who can win the first ball and burst away, kick a goal or two each game .. Is this Lalor and Langford?

Also, more mids, mids and mids.. Brisbane has mids playing HF; Sydney bulldogs too. You can’t have too many mids.. I would draft/trade in 4-5 mids this off season if possible… Let Crouch, Ross go.
Only thing wrong with this post is not enough mention of mids!

speaking of Sydney. at the doggies, Dalrymple nailed alot of picks from both early to rookie.

at Sydney his first round picks werent great, but how much input would Kinnear Beatson have had on early rounds? he strikes me as a bloke who likes to get what he wants.

just find it strange he would lose his first round touch by going elsewhere

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think like any job you can lose your touch with age. Especially if it's more of a talent than an analytic thing. Perhaps the new technology overrides his instinct.

I think like any job you can lose your touch with age. Especially if it's more of a talent than an analytic thing. Perhaps the new technology overrides his instinct.

All of that's a total guess.
Some old people function pretty well. Jeff Beck here had 20 years on Simon. Then again so does trump and he's a total snowflake.

Jeff could perhaps consider a more loose fitting top, far too much manboob for this time of the morning.

View attachment 2069297
Alas he won't be changing his costume anymore as he sadly passed away last year.

Perhaps you won't find his manboob so distracting here.

Some phantoms have guys like Lucca Grego going in the 60s and some that would usually be drafted not even on the list. The depth is quite incredible. Obviously once you get outside the 40s of any draft they get a bit more speculative but there is talent worth speculating on in this one.
Just like Garcia was worth speculating on with pick 50. From memory, he was a bit of a surprise at that pick, or at least a lot of BigFooty posters were not expecting him. Or maybe it was just me. Great pickup!

Always some hidden gems late in drafts, and even in drafts without strong depth. Obviously, it sounds like this draft bats very deep.

I hope the club uses all its picks available on the national draft. I don’t want to be trading second and third rounders, unless it’s a favorable deal or a must get player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like Garcia was worth speculating on with pick 50. From memory, he was a bit of a surprise at that pick, or at least a lot of BigFooty posters were not expecting him. Or maybe it was just me. Great pickup!

Always some hidden gems late in drafts, and even in drafts without strong depth. Obviously, it sounds like this draft bats very deep.

I hope the club uses all its picks available on the national draft. I don’t want to be trading second and third rounders, unless it’s a favorable deal or a must get player.

There seems to be heaps not getting put in phantoms this year that are getting Coates league team of the week honours. Sandy have a kid called Luke Kennedy that lots don't even have on a list. Stumpf a KPF, Oliver Warburton, Flynn Penry a ruck, Will Mithen a small forward option, even Cody Anderson who was talked about as a top 20 pick before the champs is missing from a lot of phantoms. This is a massive pool. Lots of good players won't get drafted.

There seems to be heaps not getting put in phantoms this year that are getting Coates league team of the week honours. Sandy have a kid called Luke Kennedy that lots don't even have on a list. Stumpf a KPF, Oliver Warburton, Flynn Penry a ruck, Will Mithen a small forward option, even Cody Anderson who was talked about as a top 20 pick before the champs is missing from a lot of phantoms. This is a massive pool. Lots of good players won't get drafted.

This is where we should be trying to recruit the leftovers to Sandy, with the Rookie pick the carrot on the stick.
Probably means its also a bad year to be giving the rookie pick to a Sandy spud while other clubs will be able to load up on rookies from draft leftovers. If they fail to go through with it their integrity will be shot.

Might fall a little later than your first round pick(s) but you never know.

----

Prolific output in this game from Moraes who managed to bag 5 goals along with his usual high possession count playing predominantly on ball with occasional stints forward. His forward craft has matured over the course of the season, he showed his capability as a lead/mark target and was especially dangerous at forward 50 stoppages getting on the move, collecting the ball off the tap and rapidly getting boot to ball to snap at goal. I'd still like to see him improve his consistency with his field kicking, but if he can continue to deliver like this he might find his draft stocks rising again after they slid a little in recent weeks.

I watched the Dandenong vs Bushrangers game overnight, the game stats havent been posted yet. Peckett kicked 5 goals and played really well, you would think he is a certainty to get picked up now. Cooper Hynes BOG by a fair margin if he keeps playing like that he will be a bolter come draft night. Some of his skills and evasive work were sublime. Langford was a bit quiter but his intent in everything he does screams AFL football IMO.

I am still trying to work out why scouts/punters are rating the Whitlock twins so highly. Both remind me of watching Max Knobel run around they are all arms and legs. Jack was easily beaten by Riak Andrew in a number of one on one contests. For me I wouldn't be interested at looking at either prior to the top 40.

Joe Berry played through the midfield and didnt excel, he looks a lot better when left around goals.

I was impressed with a tall Murray defender Reuben Bourke 196cms. He didnt get a lot of it but what he does is at 110% and plays with a hard edge, doesnt take a backward step which I like to see. He hasnt been mentioned in any of the phantoms but is another smoky to be considered late.
I really like Hynes. Think he could be a bit of an Aldi Dustin Martin, would be delighted to grab him with our 2RDP

We just need list spots to be available. I'm struggling to see who to get rid of, considering we need a min of 6 availabilities. Who would you cut?

FWIW, here are my suggestions;

Crouch (if rumours are true about his knee)
Ross
Hayes
Cordy
Membrey
Paton
Campbell?

I really think we need to give types like Allison, Van Es, and Hotton another year to see if they can become anything but I want kick and screaming if we decide to cut our losses with one to open up a spot for someone exceptional.

Gotta bring in Elwood-P and A-Cole too

We just need list spots to be available. I'm struggling to see who to get rid of, considering we need a min of 6 availabilities. Who would you cut?

Ross
Hayes
Cordy
Membrey
Paton
Campbell?

I really think we need to give types like Allison, Van Es, and Hotton another year to see if they can become anything but I want kick and screaming if we decide to cut our losses with one to open up a spot for someone exceptional.

Ross
Hayes
Cordy
Membrey
Paton
Campbell?

You didn't ask me but my thoughts on your list are:

+
Battle
Allison
Jones

-
Cordy (under contract, solid depth)

Allison doesn't deserve another year, only plays well against shocking defences. Hopefully can turn things for the rest of the Sandy season though

Battle needs to leave now. Dow at full fitness means Jones might be expendable (as seen against Brisbane where Jones had 18% cbas, he needs to either play mid or not play at all). I'd like to keep Jones, but I'd prefer to get another kid in

The move of Travaglia into the middle continues with reasonable success. His intense competitiveness leads to him applying significant defensive pressure around contests and stoppage, and his high work rate allows him to find plenty of the footy on the spread. He's not as clean with his hands and incisive with his movement as other top line mids in the pool at this stage though, which leads to most of his work at stoppage being scrappy.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back