2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. Been very impressive this quarter.

He for mine would have been the standout selection for pick one had he been healthy all season.

There aren’t many footballers who come back in half way through a season and hit the ground running, at any level.

I’m not going to use to word ‘generational’ but that 30 minutes of footy showed more to suggest to me that he’ll be elite than what I’ve seen from the other candidates

He for mine would have been the standout selection for pick one had he been healthy all season.

There aren’t many footballers who come back in half way through a season and hit the ground running, at any level.

I’m not going to use to word ‘generational’ but that 30 minutes of footy showed more to suggest to me that he’ll be elite than what I’ve seen from the other candidates
Can tell he lacks a gallop but he reminds me of will day a lot. He will end up the best imo

With the Talent League taking a break there are plenty of draft prospects making their VFL debuts this week giving us a chance to see how they step up to a higher level of competition. Playing off a half back flank, Travaglia looked comfortable and confident, displaying his usual intense competitive drive in contested situations as well as his run and carry to launch attacking moves.

With the Talent League taking a break there are plenty of draft prospects making their VFL debuts this week giving us a chance to see how they step up to a higher level of competition. Playing off a half back flank, Travaglia looked comfortable and confident, displaying his usual intense competitive drive in contested situations as well as his run and carry to launch attacking moves.

Little bit of Tom Stewart in his aggression, attack on the man and ball.

I’ve not seen heaps of him, admittedly I’ve really only looked at those around pick 5 he looks like a good prospect.

Interestingly I wasn’t overly impressed by Jagger today, I’d be happy with him at our first but he’s very much the accumulator mid and not a physically dynamic player. Although he’s done it at every level, I’d be surprised if he went pick 1.

I’ve not seen heaps of him, admittedly I’ve really only looked at those around pick 5 he looks like a good prospect.

Interestingly I wasn’t overly impressed by Jagger today, I’d be happy with him at our first but he’s very much the accumulator mid and not a physically dynamic player. Although he’s done it at every level, I’d be surprised if he went pick 1.
Small mids like Jagga just don’t go #1 unless they are clearly the best kid in the draft pool. I mentioned a month ago that it would be a reach in my opinion and I stand by it.

Marc Murphy
Tom Scully
Andrew McGrath 😂

The rest of the #1 picks are bigger More dynamic players.

Small mids like Jagga just don’t go #1 unless they are clearly the best kid in the draft pool. I mentioned a month ago that it would be a reach in my opinion and I stand by it.

Marc Murphy
Tom Scully
Andrew McGrath 😂

So who is clearly the best kid in the draft pool?
If there is no clear choice they skip the first pick?

So who is clearly the best kid in the draft pool?
If there is no clear choice they skip the first pick?
He means they take someone other than Smith. With North tanking, it’s going to be a stretch to take Trainor. Maybe Smilie? But if Smith or FOS are there then I imagine they will be both gone in the top 3.

I wish he would just tell us and finished.
This will he/won’t he nonsense is ridiculous.
I can’t believe he doesn’t know and surely the club is mature enough to deal with it for a couple more weeks if he says he’s going.
Personally, I’d be planning for a compo pick. If he was staying he would’ve said so by now - just my feeling.
I'm sure he knows. I don't think they are allowed to tell. Unlike rugby.

Marc Murphy
Tom Scully
Andrew McGrath 😂

It's not their size. It's the quality. Never seen anyone think that they'd bypass a player because of their size unless they are dwarves. He's 5'11" not 5'1". He's done enough to think that he will be a very safe bet. I'd gladly take him if I had pick 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He means they take someone other than Smith. With North tanking, it’s going to be a stretch to take Trainor. Maybe Smilie? But if Smith or FOS are there then I imagine they will be both gone in the top 3.

With such an even top 10 I think North could take Trainor without it being too controversial. They really don't need more midfield depth. Smilie might be an option because he's a more hybrid type and different to what they have already.

Will Levi Ashcroft be bid on at no.1? Can't see any reason why whoever gets the #1 pick wouldn't force Brisbane to use as much draft capital as possible.

Richmond (or North) absolutely should bid. Also if Brisbane end up premiers it'll further show what an absolute farce the F/S rules are at present. Shouldn't be getting a discount. Should be paying a premium. Seperate the ladder into bands so that those at the top pay a high premium on their Father-son/Academy/NGA, mid table as per price, cellar dwellers get a discount.

It's not their size. It's the quality. Never seen anyone think that they'd bypass a player because of their size unless they are dwarves. He's 5'11" not 5'1". He's done enough to think that he will be a very safe bet. I'd gladly take him if I had pick 1.
Clearly the point I made. Small players like Jagga need to be undoubtedly the best player in their draft class.

At this stage that is categorically not true about Jagga. He isn’t the best player in this class as there isn’t an undisputed #1.

This has nothing to do with a potential career he might have. This is about who goes 1 and I stick by the fact I don’t think it’s Jagga unless a club reaches.

Yesterday’s VFL game. He had double the touches of FOS and it was his impact in half those touches that outlined why he has been deemed the potential pick 1 going back to last year.

FoS will be the best kid in this draft. Just couldn't get on the park with 2 separate finger injuries.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was the Sandringham game a comparison of the different drafts this year/last year?
We all saw what Harley Reid was like fresh out of the box.
On the weekend we saw a kid that wasn't even on the radar last year ( Garcia ) just miles ahead of Smith and O'Sullivan.

Richmond (or North) absolutely should bid. Also if Brisbane end up premiers it'll further show what an absolute farce the F/S rules are at present. Shouldn't be getting a discount. Should be paying a premium. Seperate the ladder into bands so that those at the top pay a high premium on their Father-son/Academy/NGA, mid table as per price, cellar dwellers get a discount.
Overly complicated.

Clearly the point I made. Small players like Jagga need to be undoubtedly the best player in their draft class.

At this stage that is categorically not true about Jagga. He isn’t the best player in this class as there isn’t an undisputed #1.

This has nothing to do with a potential career he might have. This is about who goes 1 and I stick by the fact I don’t think it’s Jagga unless a club reaches.

Yesterday’s VFL game. He had double the touches of FOS and it was his impact in half those touches that outlined why he has been deemed the potential pick 1 going back to last year.

Agree but I would be rapt if Jagga came through to us, but the chances are very little. You simply cant teach a player to find the ball like he does, his lack of size will always create questions but plenty of other gifted smaller players have made things work in their favour. Jagga doesnt stand out like others because he is so fine but Im sure his opponents know he is there, when he is running away from them with the ball.

Brisbane have been kissed on the dick again getting another Ashcroft after his - 35 disposals, 1 goal , 5 tackles VFL game. Not only will they get Levi, they will get Sam Marshall as an NGA who himself is another midfield ball pig.

Although if we chose to take Peckett, Hofmann & Cole our own NGA will improve our list. Im surprised Sam Linder doesnt get more love, his games and stats pre-champs were excellent. He must be injured as he hasnt played for Sandringham since round 13. Hopefully he can come back and show something before draft time.

How would it be over complicated? At the moment every club gets a flat 20% discount for any father/son, northern academy or nga pick. It could be as simple as:

1 to 6: points +20%
7 to 12: points
13 to 18: points -20%
Having access to them is enough of an advantage.

Forget discounts and penalties based on ladder position etc. Teams have ups and downs. To me it would be silly that if the Saints had an F/S this year we'd get a discount, but last year we wouldn't have. Can win a flag one year, and miss the next. Can drop down for a year, pick up a gun, then be in contention again. Paying 20% more than a team who finished 13th when you finished 12th? Doesn't work for me at all.

Ladder position over 3 years is a good indicator of list quality. Keep it simple, and make sure clubs pay a fair price. And f*** the academy picks off altogether. This whole having dibs on a player because he's of this country's origin is BS. If clubs put in dev work on these players, give them financial compensation or some other kind of reward. Not the kid.

I don't mind F/S so long as it's as disruptive as possible. Academies on top of it make the whole thing a $h!tshow.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back