2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

God it pisses me off Essendon will get 2 first round picks. They did nothing to develop Kako. The afl are draft tampering by opening up academies, yet not adjusting the point requirements.

They'll **** them up anyway. Looks like Hobbs will leave too.

They've got a great system. Good coaching leads to quicker development.
We don't have to look far as an example of that. Sharman and Marshall have improved out of sight under Lyon. LDU under Clarko and look at S Mitchell's hawks, there a pretty young side, but a good example of when development and game plan perfectly align. Their certainly getting the best output from the team. It makes those late picks and trades look so much better.

They did draft well with all their picks too. We tended to blow first round picks, trade out second round picks and then draft anyone with any of the later picks we had.

Just about every other midfield in the AFL has the make up of someone drafted in or around the top 5. Most clubs have ATLEAST 1 player. Some examples.
Melbourne: trac, clarry
Dogs: bont (maccrae for years)
Blues:walsh
North: LDU (wardlaw etc)
Port: rozzee, jhf
Lions: mccluggage, rayner
Pies: de goey, naicos
Freo: A brayshaw
GWS: Tom Greene, Fin Callaghan, Josh Kelly, COGS
GC: Rowel, Anderson
ESS: parish.

Every single one of those players drafted in the top 5 of the draft. And every single one of them are a starting AFL midfielder and some of the best in the comp at that. Of course there is us. Apart from Max king we haven’t had a top 5 pick since when? I’m not saying it’s the only avenue and I know there’s plenty of examples of players outside that. It’s more you just have a lot bigger chance of drafting that player in that half of the draft pool. Rather then the 8-16 in which we have been the last however many.
Yep and take two! We need jets not multiple “goods”

The second of two strong mid season Talent League games from Harry that elevated his draft stock significantly. He started on fire in the first quarter, taking marks around the ground and hitting the scoreboard with a couple of early goals. In the second half he continued to present well and fly for his marks, but on a number of occasions couldn't quite hang on. He still finished with 4 goals in a what was overall a strong key forward display.

What’s your take on his body work, Noob

What’s your take on his body work, Noob
I think he's good at picking up where the kick is going to fall early, holding off his opponent and then lunging late to mark low to the ground. We see him do that every game. We've seen him be able to grapple in a 1v1 and then reach up to get hands on the footy, but he's not as good at holding onto those marking attempts through contact. It might just be a size and strength thing that he'll improve through gym work, but there are no guarantees.

Someone has to save us from getting all excited because we're getting Dean Kent, an exciting forward who may be able to run through the midfield.

I think he's good at picking up where the kick is going to fall early, holding off his opponent and then lunging late to mark low to the ground. We see him do that every game. We've seen him be able to grapple in a 1v1 and then reach up to get hands on the footy, but he's not as good at holding onto those marking attempts through contact. It might just be a size and strength thing that he'll improve through gym work, but there are no guarantees.

Looks like the type that will take 5 marks and have 10 disposals but kick 4 or 5 goals. He is incredibly efficient with shots on goal.

Why? He’s only that high on Cal’s board and that’s personal opinion and not a prediction from clubs.

Cal tends to talk to recruiters so I imagine that he’s got that from some clubs. It’s a really open top 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the club has 2 top 6 picks and can grab any of Langford, Draper, FOS, Lalor. Just do it. Potential A grade midfield set for 10years.
Getting greedy trying to extract more picks and dilute from the high end talent is playing with fire.

The feel I get is that the club are also wanting to get another early pick or are looking at splitting one of the early picks. I think there are a lot of moving wheels with trades and stating the obvious what we do at the draft will depend on what happens during the trade period. As an example lets say if we get Peatling and McRae/Parker in the door our early midfield needs might not be as great. Hence take a midfielder at top #5 pick and then perhaps Armstrong (key forward) and Xavier Lindsay (quick midfielder) in the top 20. A lot of the pundits have suggested that it is a high quality even draft which may suggest we rate a kid at the #15-20 range not that different to #5 or 6.

We cant say the club are sitting on their hands and not attempting to improve the list, they are trying everything within their power to get us to where we all want to be!

I might not have posted his videos on here before as I wasnt sure if the Saints were after another key forward? These are both really strong games by him, with the Champs game being where he really broke out:

All right place right time uncontested marks or free kicks. Dropped 100% of contested marks and was paid one off hands he shouldn’t have been. Pretty bad game tbh if that’s his breakout game

We could always use a star KPF but this guy not worth a top 10 pick to my eye.

If you decide that there is no chance of us drafting good players what's the point of any of it. Keeping our old recruiting and list management staff cost us years but since 2021 we have made 23 list changes and another 4 or 5 probably come of that list. We have had massive list change and a bulk of it was through the draft.

At some point you will get a boost from that youth. Steele had one very good year and has had a couple of injury years that have set him backwards. Adding a player like Parker and a few kids coming on changes everything.

Sydney went and picked up Taylor Adams then had Warner and Gulden step up to elite in the meantime. I have a lot more faith that we have genuine talented kids on the list now.

If a few come on and we get a good injury run there is no reason we can't make top 4 next year with improvement still in the list.
Never said that you can’t draft good players outside of the top 5. But just about every team in the afl has an elite midfielder drafted in the top 5. Sydney have mills and Heeney. It’s sort of delusional to think we’re going to get a significant improvement from our midfield without trading in and drafting elite mids. We just aren’t good enough through there yet and that’s why we need to keep building the absolute elite talent and that is usually in the top 5? If your not first you are last

Never said that you can’t draft good players outside of the top 5. But just about every team in the afl has an elite midfielder drafted in the top 5. Sydney have mills and Heeney. It’s sort of delusional to think we’re going to get a significant improvement from our midfield without trading in and drafting elite mids. We just aren’t good enough through there yet and that’s why we need to keep building the absolute elite talent and that is usually in the top 5? If your not first you are last

And again. That isn't the reason they are good sides.

No-one thinks that we don't need elite talent but the pick they were taken at is irrelevant. We had heaps of high picked players that were absolute spuds. If we'd kept Billings we wouldn't all of a sudden be a better side.

I'd say Essendon have 3 a grade to elite mids. Parish at 5, Merrett at 26 and Caldwell at 11. Merrett is the best of them.

Only if Josh was happy to sign on the bottom line.

Contracts usually need that to be legal.

correct but i doubt he's going to hawthorn last season nor had the interest hes had this year.

i think we've kept our options open and it's bitten us in the ass.

its shit list management.

correct but i doubt he's going to hawthorn last season nor had the interest hes had this year.

i think we've kept our options open and it's bitten us in the ass.

its shit list management.
Yeah no player ever decides to hold off on signing a contract when they've got a potential career best pay day pending...

And again. That isn't the reason they are good sides.

No-one thinks that we don't need elite talent but the pick they were taken at is irrelevant. We had heaps of high picked players that were absolute spuds. If we'd kept Billings we wouldn't all of a sudden be a better side.

I'd say Essendon have 3 a grade to elite mids. Parish at 5, Merrett at 26 and Caldwell at 11. Merrett is the best of them.
I’ll give you Merret. Parish certainty ain’t elite, maybe an elite accumulator. And I think calling Caldwell elite is a huge reach. He’s a solid citizen but I can’t see any club trading a 1st round pick to acquire him

They'll **** them up anyway. Looks like Hobbs will leave too.
giphy.gif

I’ll give you Merret. Parish certainty ain’t elite, maybe an elite accumulator. And I think calling Caldwell elite is a huge reach. He’s a solid citizen but I can’t see any club trading a 1st round pick to acquire him
Durham is better than those 2.

Merrett and Durham

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back