2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

St.Kilda CEO.

Not me but from somebody else.

'Was at an event today where st Kilda ceo took some questions, and here's a few takeaways.
Money wise, we made as much money from gate receipts for Maddy's match, as we did for the rest of our home fixtures combined.
We should go hard at the draft for 4-5 years to build a premiership list and we're about 3 years into it. Looking to be top 4 list in 2026/27 (he kept saying 2016, 2017).
The previous management was a bit premature in going for free agents.
BIG THING
Josh battle pushing to the end of the year means you've gotta worry about it. "We've crunched some numbers" regarding FA compensation and it "is not looking as healthy as it might have done" based on salary cap projections.
So based on that, I think he's saying it's looking like battle compo won't be a pick right after our first, like we first thought.'

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
A few holes in that story too.

• Maddy's Match?

We didn't have an official home game for Maddy this season (v Tiges @ Gather Round & a Tiges home game last week). Biggest gate receipts would have been the home game at the G v Pies by a long long way.

• Previous management went for FA's?
Brad Crouch & ???

Looks to me like some BS that an oppo supporter would come up with to stir some shite & it's been passed around as fact.

Not trusting anything, just posting what has been reported.
I hope nobody thinks I am happy if it is true.
I am hoping like hell it isn't.

I saw the same post from the uncensored Facebook group which I'm assuming you're referring to?

Cal and most other journos has been saying for months now that this will be close to band 1 compo. I'm still holding out hope that we resign him tbh

• Maddy's Match?

We didn't have an official home game for Maddy this season (v Tiges @ Gather Round & a Tiges home game last week). Biggest gate receipts would have been the home game at the G v Pies by a long long way.

Brad Crouch & ???

Looks to me like some BS that an oppo supporter would come up with to stir some shite & it's been passed around as fact.
He meant spuds match. The guy is a Saints supporter. Said it was a corporate breakfast where he was the keynote speaker.
I don't know the band compo. May be band 1 or after round 1
He was saying he thought it might be after the Hawthorn pick, don't know how that works.

I saw the same post from the uncensored Facebook group which I'm assuming you're referring to?

Cal and most other journos has been saying for months now that this will be close to band 1 compo. I'm still holding out hope that we resign him tbh
Yeah that's the one. The guy doesn't come across as a troll.
What did you think?

No, next year we could still finish way down the ladder with mass list changes. You usually get a better front end and less depth in drafts than this one. I’d stick to the picks that we have.

We won’t finish bottom 5 next year, 1 year more development a healthy Max King and a game plan coming together. Id be happy not having a first next year if it means we have 5,6 and 7 this year thats fast tracking our rebuild. We could finish as high as 6th next year

The Reid discussion is exactly why we need to get ahead of GCS in the draft. At picks 7 & 8 genuine midfield prospects become more speculative.

It was mentioned today that the club are trying to get a 3rd first round pick, where that comes from remains a mystery.
I had a dream last night that Richmond beat GC by 101. If anyone thinks it sad that I dream about footy then GAGF 😄. I honestly think 7 and 8 will happen now. Clark and Coffield all over again. Just outside the jets. Same late season rush (by Hawthorn and its pick that time).

• Maddy's Match?

Brad Crouch & ???

Seems very plausible that a club CEO would speak to a stack of strangers and tell them club secrets. What has gotten into you?

We won’t finish bottom 5 next year, 1 year more development a healthy Max King and a game plan coming together. Id be happy not having a first next year if it means we have 5,6 and 7 this year thats fast tracking our rebuild. We could finish as high as 6th next year
Throw in Patton and Membrey. 😄

Would love to use the F1. We need to utilise draft picks now as much as Richmond.

He meant spuds match. The guy is a Saints supporter. Said it was a corporate breakfast where he was the keynote speaker.
I don't know the band compo. May be band 1 or after round 1
He was saying he thought it might be after the Hawthorn pick, don't know how that works.

Sounds like he (whoever he is) doesn't know how the compo picks work.
It's either directly after your first round pick or beginning of second round isn't it?
Never heard of it being after the pick of the team who actually gets the FA.

Anyhow, hopefully we're panicking for nothing, but it's not like we have Laura Kane pushing a case for us, is it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting but sounds a lot like fence sitting to me.

Publicly they’re not going to say hey we’ve crunched numbers and Josh leaving nets us Band 1 so happy days.

CEOs are politicians, they understand every word they say.

I’d be very surprised if it’s not band one, and if it’s not then the reality is there was more than just cash on the table that motivated Josh to leave, in which case we’ve done what we can to convince him to stay.

Yes, I think you’re correct.

Most of the AFL media are reporting that is band one compensation. Cal Twomey was particularly strong on it.

The CEO in question is certainly downplaying the likelihood of compensation being band 1. Fair enough too. Nothing is a fait accompli until it’s confirmed.

Maybe Hawthorn have reduced their offer to Battle. Maybe recruiting Barrass has changed their thinking about Battle. But I doubt it. Battle costs Hawthorn no draft capital.

Keen as to see Draper bursting out of the centre next year against us while we’ve got Hunter in a wheelchair trailing in his dust because we won a few games in the backend of a dead season but it’s all good we drafted travaglia off half back to rebound it! Brad crouch on one leg will take us to a flag same old sainters

ffs we've been infiltrated by a facebook rumour and we haven't even started silly season. i'm off to buy some coke, it's more substance than i'll find in here.
Wasn't a rumour, specifically stated it was the Saints CEO at a business breakfast.

Just reporting what was posted. Believe it or don't, it's up to you.
Personally hope it is dead wrong, but who would be surprised?

Sounds like he (whoever he is) doesn't know how the compo picks work.
It's either directly after your first round pick or beginning of second round isn't it?
Never heard of it being after the pick of the team who actually gets the FA.

Anyhow, hopefully we're panicking for nothing, but it's not like we have Laura Kane pushing a case for us, is it?

Band 1 is a compensation pick immediately after the club’s linked 1st RDP (it would currently be pick 7).

Band 2 is an end of first round pick (it would be currently pick 19).

Band 3 is a compensation pick immediately after the club’s linked 2nd RDP (it would currently be pick 25).

The issue is whether Battle is band 1 or band 2.

If Battle goes which it's looking almost certain to be the case it's going to be a nervous wait for the compo regardless. You would hope that we're offering well over what we believe to be band 1 compo.

If Battle goes which it's looking almost certain to be the case it's going to be a nervous wait for the compo regardless. You would hope that we're offering well over what we believe to be band 1 compo.

The issue is what Hawthorn are offering.

Is it possible their offer is less than band 1? Surely as a club we have done our due diligence and we know.

But at the end of the day this is still Battle’s decision.

The issue is what Hawthorn are offering.

Is it possible their offer is less than band 1? Surely as a club we have done our due diligence and we know.

But at the end of the day this is still Battle’s decision.
Exactly, Hes Unrestricted...theres nothing we can do about it

Exactly, Hes Unrestricted...theres nothing we can do about it
Yes there is, offer him much more. The only saving grace if Battle leaving was band1.
I don't want him to leave but could live with band1.
Band2 would be a disaster if we squabbled over an extra 50k a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back