2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems everyone is split on here .... pros & cons all over the place with no clear agreements

So anyway ... if Battle goes and we get the 2 Top 10 draft picks and use them on mids (whoever they may be) ... do we ..... then use the Adelaide 2nd rounder on someone like Dodson (a ruck)??

Ruck is certainly a position that needs attention

Seems everyone is split on here .... pros & cons all over the place with no clear agreements

So anyway ... if Battle goes and we get the 2 Top 10 draft picks and use them on mids (whoever they may be) ... do we ..... then use the Adelaide 2nd rounder on someone like Dodson (a ruck)??

Ruck is certainly a position that needs attention
he won't last...need a pick ~20 imo

I just finished watching the Eastern vs Northern game where Smillie was BOG. He looked a lot better in that game than he has for sometime and was doing everything from rucking, to full forward to midfield. He seemed to have some zip and energy back and looked
more like he did earlier in the year. Took some strong marks and got some run and gun in his game which was promising. I have been waiting to see the spark for sometime, I wonder if he has been playing through injury.

I heard that Byrnes is a big fan of him.

Its been a theme that the kids playing VFL come back to the Talent League chock full of confidence and turn in a ripper performance, and Harvey Langford was no different. He was relentless and beastlike around the stoppages, damaging with the footy outside of the contest, strong overhead and slotted four goals to round things off and help his team get the win.

Its been a theme that the kids playing VFL come back to the Talent League chock full of confidence and turn in a ripper performance, and Harvey Langford was no different. He was relentless and beastlike around the stoppages, damaging with the footy outside of the contest, strong overhead and slotted four goals to round things off and help his team get the win.

Star

Such a big step up. My nephew is an absolute star for Yarraville, but when he plays for Williamstown, wouldn't say he struggles, but certainly isn't in the votes.

Edit: Didn't realise Langford was so big. 190cm a very nice size and moves very well. I must get over this Bont/Cripps fixation, but just can't get over it

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Adelaide will be very interesting this draft. They want Lukosius but don’t have a 2nd rounder.

They might have to split their pick 4 which could open up potential for Draper to slide?

I'd be happy to do 7/8 and 25(?) for 4. Give them their natural second rounder back.

Might be in the minority here but i'd also be happy to do 7 and 8 to North for 2 and 22 if we get the extra pick for Battle and they're looking more at your Armstrong, Trainor types. Guarantee ourselves one of Jagga, Draper or FOS, and then pick a couple of the more speculative types in the early second round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a big step up. My nephew is an absolute star for Yarraville, but when he plays for Williamstown, wouldn't say he struggles, but certainly isn't in the votes.

Edit: Didn't realise Langford was so big. 190cm a very nice size and moves very well. I must get over this Bont/Cripps fixation, but just can't get over it

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Real Finn Callahgan and Pou Combo. I think he is stronger then he seems. A bit of the Hunter's ability to break through tackles.

His kicking does look a bit awkward though

He looks every bit a top 3 pick in the Coates league. In the vfl he looked slow and lumbering. The evaluation of this draft is going to be fascinating and where the good recruiters really earn their wage.

He looks every bit a top 3 pick in the Coates league. In the vfl he looked slow and lumbering. The evaluation of this draft is going to be fascinating and where the good recruiters really earn their wage.
For sure. I have him at pick 10 myself... think he slides a little on athleticism concerns but not too far given his other attributes.

Everyone will be waiting to see his combine results.

For sure. I have him at pick 10 myself... think he slides a little on athleticism concerns but not too far given his other attributes.

Everyone will be waiting to see his combine results.

How do you evaluate this?
I always come back to the Coffield example. Tested as lightning quick, played slow and lacking power and agility on field.
Langford apparently tested poorly yet looks powerful beast at this level.

Who is your top 10 out of interest?

How do you evaluate this?
I always come back to the Coffield example. Tested as lightning quick, played slow and lacking power and agility on field.
Langford apparently tested poorly yet looks powerful beast at this level.

Who is your top 10 out of interest?
For myself, and I think others based on convo's I've had... is he going to be quick/agile enough to play midfield at AFL level? Because if he's not, then his upside is much more limited. He's probably going to have to be a winger or medium forward.

I hear what you're saying about looking like a powerful beast, but there have been many times (especially early in the season) when he would too often be caught flat footed and reactive at stoppage and unable to create separation for a quality disposal and his disposals would often be scrappy and under pressure. He's gotten better as the season's progressed. He gets on the move early before the ruck tap, and is using his body/strength more to push off his opponent. Whether those sort of "craft" improvements are enough at AFL level to overcome a lack of pace? I don't know. I still think recruiters will want to see better 20m sprint and agility test numbers at the combine.

Rough top 10:

Tier 1 (happy with any of these going pick 1)
Draper
Jagga
FOS
Levi

Tier 1.5 (not much of a gap here at all to tier 1)
Lalor - this kid is a bees dick away from legit pick 1 contender
Smillie
Lombard

Tier 2
Trainor
Hotton
Lindsay
Reid
Langford

Next group, calling them Tier 3 is harsh though:
Kako
Berry
Travaglia
Shanahan
Allan

Those are the guys that I'm very confident will be excellent AFL players... there are still heaps of fantastic prospects after this mind you.

For myself, and I think others based on convo's I've had... is he going to be quick/agile enough to play midfield at AFL level? Because if he's not, then his upside is much more limited. He's probably going to have to be a winger or medium forward.

I hear what you're saying about looking like a powerful beast, but there have been many times (especially early in the season) when he would too often be caught flat footed and reactive at stoppage and unable to create separation for a quality disposal and his disposals would often be scrappy and under pressure. He's gotten better as the season's progressed. He gets on the move early before the ruck tap, and is using his body/strength more to push off his opponent. Whether those sort of "craft" improvements are enough at AFL level to overcome a lack of pace? I don't know. I still think recruiters will want to see better 20m sprint and agility test numbers at the combine.

Rough top 10:

Tier 1 (happy with any of these going pick 1)
Draper
Jagga
FOS
Levi

Tier 1.5 (not much of a gap here at all to tier 1)
Lalor - this kid is a bees dick away from legit pick 1 contender
Smillie
Lombard

Tier 2
Trainor
Hotton
Lindsay
Reid
Langford

Next group, calling them Tier 3 is harsh though:
Kako
Berry
Travaglia
Shanahan
Allan

Those are the guys that I'm very confident will be excellent AFL players... there are still heaps of fantastic prospects after this mind you.
Harvey’s running capacity has definitely improved and is a bit of a pig in mud at the contest. IMO hel still be a solid contested pig that will out muscle opponents at the stoppage as he gets stronger. His ceiling is how damaging he can be.

Exactly, though earlier the pick the more opportunity they have for both a **** up and a success. We are fortunate to have nailed Pou, NAS, and Wilson with picks between 10-20 in successive years.

I’m not sure if any other club has had a similar draft success as us in this period relative to the draft capital we have. Can even stretch further that as far as picks from outside the national draft like Marshall, Wilkie, Sinclair, Sharman etc.

Without some very shrewd drafting in recent years we would be beyond toast and even with it we are bottom 6 this year - BUT, the future is promising… hopefully

Also obvs Pou, Nas and Wilson could be spuds but atm, they’re on track as good as anyone their age
And one reason I’m most nervous about letting Toce go
I know I know he wanted the top job etc but surely we could’ve found a way to share/keep/creative title whatever
He’s not top man at Tigers now…
Him plus Dalrymple … I’d have felt bullet proof …

I'd be happy to do 7/8 and 25(?) for 4. Give them their natural second rounder back.

Might be in the minority here but i'd also be happy to do 7 and 8 to North for 2 and 22 if we get the extra pick for Battle and they're looking more at your Armstrong, Trainor types. Guarantee ourselves one of Jagga, Draper or FOS, and then pick a couple of the more speculative types in the early second round.

Can’t do it.

A club cannot trade-in a draft pick they have traded-out.

The AFL will block a trade that includes Adelaide getting back their linked second round pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back