2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

For myself, and I think others based on convo's I've had... is he going to be quick/agile enough to play midfield at AFL level? Because if he's not, then his upside is much more limited. He's probably going to have to be a winger or medium forward.

I hear what you're saying about looking like a powerful beast, but there have been many times (especially early in the season) when he would too often be caught flat footed and reactive at stoppage and unable to create separation for a quality disposal and his disposals would often be scrappy and under pressure. He's gotten better as the season's progressed. He gets on the move early before the ruck tap, and is using his body/strength more to push off his opponent. Whether those sort of "craft" improvements are enough at AFL level to overcome a lack of pace? I don't know. I still think recruiters will want to see better 20m sprint and agility test numbers at the combine.

Rough top 10:

Tier 1 (happy with any of these going pick 1)
Draper
Jagga
FOS
Levi

Tier 1.5 (not much of a gap here at all to tier 1)
Lalor - this kid is a bees dick away from legit pick 1 contender
Smillie
Lombard

Tier 2
Trainor
Hotton
Lindsay
Reid
Langford

Next group, calling them Tier 3 is harsh though:
Kako
Berry
Travaglia
Shanahan
Allan

Those are the guys that I'm very confident will be excellent AFL players... there are still heaps of fantastic prospects after this mind you.
Careful, putting Reid down so low might piss off some on here. And having a clear top 5 too...that's illegal!!!:rolleyes:

You’re raising legitimate points. I felt the same as you. We desperately need elite midfield talent and winning yesterday did push us back the draft order.

Sliding a few picks in the top 10 can be very significant. It depends on the draft and the needs of each club.

However I was at the game and I was swept up by the emotion of the finish. It was both exhilarating and magnificent.

It was fantastic to win in the manner we did because of the attitude of the majority Carlton crowd. They sooked and whined all day. Many of the comments around me reeked of self entitlement and how shit St Kilda is as a club. I was doing a slow burn during the game.

We got the run of the umpires in the first half but in the end they were getting everything. I think they received the last 10 free kicks.

I can see both sides of the argument. Wanting to win and build that feeling, but conversely wanting access to plum picks in the draft (which we haven’t had).

It’s actually okay to feel either way. Or both ways. Because we all love the club and want it to succeed.
This is a great post
This place kinda comes full circle in 24 hrs…bizarre

Different drafts mate it’s hard to compare. Different years, imagine we had 2 top 10s in 2018? Rozzee and max king. Supporters are upset because something we’ve lacked for the last decade is elite midfield talent. As good as Steele is he’s still limited compared to the very best. In this draft there is a clear top5 stacked with elite midfield talent. The two players we’ve tried to absolutely sell the house for this year LDU pick 4 and Mccluggage pick3 that’s where you find them. In a nothing but dissapointing year for the club it’s reasonable for supporters to be upset at the fact we went from probably having the choice on our player we wanted to getting the scraps. Our last few drafts have been good yes but none of them will fix our long term issue by being elite midfielders and until then we just won’t compete with the very best. IMO players we sell the house for just won’t come to us compared to other clubs so I see it as we are going to have to draft them. I’m aware we can find the Chad warners at pick 39 but I’d rather not be throwing darts like we have for the last 10 years at kids like bytel who’s our midfield saviour who never end up coming on.
Wow where were you Sunday night !!! The patients had taken over the asylum…finally sense!

Real Finn Callahgan and Pou Combo. I think he is stronger then he seems. A bit of the Hunter's ability to break through tackles.

His kicking does look a bit awkward though
Not exactly break the lines mid that from congestion I think we need as a point of difference
Draper the only one I’ve seen with that but he’ll be gone

For myself, and I think others based on convo's I've had... is he going to be quick/agile enough to play midfield at AFL level? Because if he's not, then his upside is much more limited. He's probably going to have to be a winger or medium forward.

I hear what you're saying about looking like a powerful beast, but there have been many times (especially early in the season) when he would too often be caught flat footed and reactive at stoppage and unable to create separation for a quality disposal and his disposals would often be scrappy and under pressure. He's gotten better as the season's progressed. He gets on the move early before the ruck tap, and is using his body/strength more to push off his opponent. Whether those sort of "craft" improvements are enough at AFL level to overcome a lack of pace? I don't know. I still think recruiters will want to see better 20m sprint and agility test numbers at the combine.

Rough top 10:

Draper
Jagga
FOS
Levi

Smillie
Lombard

Tier 2
Trainor
Hotton
Lindsay
Reid
Langford

Kako
Berry
Travaglia
Shanahan
Allan

Those are the guys that I'm very confident will be excellent AFL players... there are still heaps of fantastic prospects after this mind you.
Once again thanking you for your footage and great to see your ratings.

They look pretty spot on to me - in my mind Reid & Travaglia are up a tier but I wouldn't change anything else (have not seen much of Hotton/Lindsay/Tier 3 though).

Agree with what you're saying on Langford, can't quite see how his game will translate as a mid with the faster pace and bigger bodies. Compared to Smillie his footwork is fairly unimpressive and he relies on his strength to shrug his way through trouble. As a floor, the medium forward/winger scenario sounds about right to me - more of a Mason Wood type if anything. Feel like I've just paraphrased everything you said and added nothing to the discussion. Ah well. Just thought I'd get this comment in before his 3rd Brownlow.

This mock doesn’t even include Lalor in the top 10 - they must have forgot.

Langford has drawn comparison to Bont, who id imagine wasn’t considered fast in his draft class, I think if he’s available we must take him. I’d love Draper but he’ll be gone. Lalor, Langford and Dodson later on would be great.

Adelaide will be very interesting this draft. They want Lukosius but don’t have a 2nd rounder.

They might have to split their pick 4 which could open up potential for Draper to slide?
Lukosius is a very good player and I would think worth a high draft pick, even pick 4.

Lukosius is a very good player and I would think worth a high draft pick, even pick 4.
Lukosius is not worth 4 in any way shape or form. Only way Ade do it is pick swap downgrade.

Also GCS don't want picks this year they have plenty, so ADE ffrdp for Lukosius and GCS pick 20.

GCS will want to draft Langford with the latest pick they can use pick 13 which gets it done.

So their pick 7 goes to Richmond for Rioli.

Is how I see it playing out

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lukosius is not worth 4 in any way shape or form. Only way Ade do it is pick swap downgrade.

Also GCS don't want picks this year they have plenty, so ADE ffrdp for Lukosius and GCS pick 20.

GCS will want to draft Langford with the latest pick they can use pick 13 which gets it done.

So their pick 7 goes to Richmond for Rioli.

Is how I see it playing out

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

You mean Lombard?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps always stick in my head. How do you identify whatever it is he “has”, and prioritise it over the seemingly nice looking players. Range was 20-40, picked at 13. Guess it comes down to interviews, who has the killer mindset?
View attachment 2094314View attachment 2094315View attachment 2094316

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s the bit that at the end of the day none of us draft watchers really have access too.

It’s where certain clubs identify ‘their’ niche, Sydney being the best example.
The Zach jones, Chad Warner, ultra competitor.
Adding to this with bidding now, you get an idea of which teams are looking at certain players. Ie for swans to big on Chito said a lot to me about him matching their ‘conpeteative profile’

Other things that get missed by draft watchers is discussions with coaches.

Ie which roles players are told to play. Perfect example is Naz.

I remember hearing call twomey interview Hamish Ogilvie about Naz prior to the draft.

A question about his ability to play sanfl seniors.

Although Naz only averaged maybe 16 touches. Ogilve speak about how the SANFL coaches were stoaked with his ability to hold the wing, play defensive etc etc. a lot more then just getting 25 plus.

Other factors such as belief and ‘confidence’

There’s the loud type - pou, Trac, Roo Goddard

The quiet type
- Walsh , Ablett, darcey Wilson Lenny.

Ultimately, the two minute interview on the AFL website isn’t going to show a lot.

What I find intriguing is the mindset shift from guys like
A+ Walsh , Sincs, Brayshaw to megastar

Bont Martin GAJ

2022 JVE 31
2021 Oscar Adams 51
2020 Tom Highmore 45
2017 Oscar Clavarino 35
2014 Hughbert Goddard 21

Yeah its pretty damning isnt it. JVE was an unlucky choice breaking his ankle and other complications. Goddard similiarly with his achillies injury. I believe the AFL asks too much of a lot of these young kids exposing them to the VFL/AFL level players in their early years of development.

I wonder if anyone has ever done a case study on the number of 18-20 yo AFL listed kids who have had their careers ruined because of a contact injury. Because their bodies are still growing/maturing a lot are just not ready to be exposed to what they currently are. It might be something that a smart lawyer might look at a class action on in the future?

The NRL run a under 21 competition under the club umbrellas, its something the AFL should seriously look at IMO.

He looks every bit a top 3 pick in the Coates league. In the vfl he looked slow and lumbering. The evaluation of this draft is going to be fascinating and where the good recruiters really earn their wage.
He looked a little awful in the first half. But gee he showed some tricks in the second half. Thought he was impressive after HT and I’ve not really jumped into him (yet).

Rough top 10:

Draper
Jagga
FOS
Levi

Smillie
Lombard

Tier 2
Trainor
Hotton
Lindsay
Reid
Langford

Kako
Berry
Travaglia
Shanahan
Allan

Any chance that Lalor slips to 7 (8 post Ashcroft)?

That is absolutely filthy and I’m going to be sick

Jay Lever, Pick 60 2011.
Jackson Fergason , Rookie 2010.
Will Johnson , 2009. Tom Simpkin some time around then.

I think Jason Blake , is our most recent successful tall defender ( 189cm drafted as a Utility ) from the draft , though you could argue the case for Joyce.

Last edited:
Jay Lever, Pick 60 2011.
Jackson Fergason , Rookie 2010.
Will Johnson , 2009. Tom Simpkin some time around then.

I think Jason Blake , is our most recent successful tall defender ( 189cm drafted as a Utility ) from the draft , though you could argue the case for Joyce.
Not really much point in drafting tall defenders is there?

AA squad:
Andrews pick 61
Ryan pick 66 (from VFL as a 20yo)
Collins pick 55 (from VFL as 21yo) & then delisted
Sicily pick 56 (from VFL)
McGovern rookie list
the only outlier: Weitering pick 1

If the talent is obvious (e.g. Gibcus, Naughton) I think you pick them but otherwise I'd just be scouring the state leagues for late developers rather than burning 2nd/3rd rounders on 18yos - the risk/reward just isn't there. Highmore was a miss but we more than made up for it with Wilkie.

Not really much point in drafting tall defenders is there?

AA squad:
Andrews pick 61
Ryan pick 66 (from VFL as a 20yo)
Collins pick 55 (from VFL as 21yo) & then delisted
Sicily pick 56 (from VFL)
McGovern rookie list
the only outlier: Weitering pick 1

If the talent is obvious (e.g. Gibcus, Naughton) I think you pick them but otherwise I'd just be scouring the state leagues for late developers rather than burning 2nd/3rd rounders on 18yos - the risk/reward just isn't there. Highmore was a miss but we more than made up for it with Wilkie.

How did Ethan Phillips go in his one game?

Gees this kid looks and moves well playing in the WAFL, he has a bit of Ken Hunter/Gavin Wanganeen about him.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back