2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s what I get when I watch him. He looks like a kid who is desperate to impress. He has real drive to be good. Smilie was the opposite in the champs. Seemed like a kid who thought he had nothing left to prove. I’ll take the player with the better drive over better talent when it’s a coin toss.

Ok no draft guru but have watched a few vids this kid has class written all over him
He is 1 touch (I get infuriated watching Jones bumble n stumble over the footy..) and hits targets
Not slow either - lots to like
Definitely has a touch of class about him, like Sinclair or Sidebottom.. prefer him than Travaglia who apart being fast and aggressive, don’t seem to have the skill set to become a gun mid..

Last edited:

Obviously a fair bit to play out first, but if we keep Battle could we split our pick for two late first rounders?

If a team (eg. Richmond) is desperate to grab a Trainor or Harry Armstrong we could nab two exciting prospects (eg. Travaglia, Hotton, Lindsay, Hynes) for the price of one in an even draft.

Reid has no point of difference? ... kid has sensational vision and deft skills .... and a turn of pace when required

We are crying out for a bit of class

Jesus this is the first bit of footage I’ve seen of this kid.

He looks the most like Daicos & Sheezel out of anyone in this draft. Looks like the perfect mid to compliment Pou & Garcia. His step, composure, and decision making is elite.

If this kid tests well, I could see him pushing ahead of a few in the top 7

He looks the most like Daicos & Sheezel out of anyone in this draft. Looks like the perfect mid to compliment Pou & Garcia. His step, composure, and decision making is elite.

Wowe!! Those clips at the end.
Did not waste one possession in the video.
Would be happy with him.
Ideally if we have 2 first round picks - him and a bigger midfielder.

I love the way he plays. Sets players up to be in better positions too. He puts the ball out in front of teammates instead of dumping on them.

I never understood why he gets so much negativity. Langford too. Reid is a guy who has a super attractive style.

I love the way he plays. Sets players up to be in better positions too. He puts the ball out in front of teammates instead of dumping on them.

I never understood why he gets so much negativity. Langford too. Reid is a guy who has a super attractive style.
I agree, have liked the look of him since the champs.
Would not be unhappy if he made his way to Linton St.

With 7 and possibly 8 we should get the chance if wanted.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok no draft guru but have watched a few vids this kid has class written all over him
He is 1 touch (I get infuriated watching Jones bumble n stumble over the footy..) and hits targets
Not slow either - lots to like
Clean hands on deck and to teammates is such an important trait. Just not sure whether or not he makes it as a genuine gun and I think I’d prefer to have a lash at either a beast or pace (preferably cover both at 7 and 8.

I sat there in that first half against WC and our kicking was diabolical, including Hill nearly missing his boot in open play, thinking we’d have a Richmond win and that would be it. Adelaide were on the rise. Dees and GC weren’t even a thought. Pick 4 and 5 and take two of FOS, Smith, Draper and Lalor.

Did anyone work out the sums on how much the point discrepancy was v Dees and GC?

That’s what I get when I watch him. He looks like a kid who is desperate to impress. He has real drive to be good. Smilie was the opposite in the champs. Seemed like a kid who thought he had nothing left to prove. I’ll take the player with the better drive over better talent when it’s a coin toss.
Smilie has all the talent in the world, but I’m leery of his work rate and kicking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he and Langford are the two most appealing prospects to me in terms of where we’re drafting and comparison to others.

Smilie has all the talent in the world, but I’m leery of his work rate and kicking.
I feel like when he gets a couple of AFL preseasons into that big body, he might be pretty epic.
And I think his kicking is fine and will get better with fitness, drilling, power and confidence.

Not 100% sure about it, but have that feeling.

Obviously a fair bit to play out first, but if we keep Battle could we split our pick for two late first rounders?

If a team (eg. Richmond) is desperate to grab a Trainor or Harry Armstrong we could nab two exciting prospects (eg. Travaglia, Hotton, Lindsay, Hynes) for the price of one in an even draft.
Yep, I’ve been saying this since we beat Carlton. We need to maximise return and get two for one because the gap between pick 8 and a teens pick is way smaller than it normally is

Hotton was once touted as a top 5 pick. Since we probably miss out on a top talent with battle compo, make up for it by taking a guy who would’ve been way higher if not for injury AND another first round talent - Hynes

Langford/Lalor + Hotton + Hynes vs Langford/Lalor + Trainor/Reid

Yep, I’ve been saying this since we beat Carlton. We need to maximise return and get two for one because the gap between pick 8 and a teens pick is way smaller than it normally is

Hotton was once touted as a top 5 pick. Since we probably miss out on a top talent with battle compo, make up for it by taking a guy who would’ve been way higher if not for injury AND another first round talent - Hynes

Prefer Langford/Lalor + Hotton + Hynes. Think Hotton would be a good pickup.

Prefer Langford/Lalor + Hotton + Hynes. Think Hotton would be a good pickup.
I agree If we end up getting and using the 2 selections, I hope it’s Langford and Lalor(assuming Draper is gone). I’d be looking at trading up to get Dodson too if it’s possible. He’s chosen footy over basketball now and he is the best ruck prospect in years IMO.

Yeah he and Langford are the two most appealing prospects to me in terms of where we’re drafting and comparison to others.
FWIW, I'll admit Reid is a good player. Let's just say he's not to my taste.
2 weeks ago l didn't care for Travaglia but slipping 2 spots has made me spend more time looking at the less obvious selections.

I'm gonna assume you guys listened to the interview with Dalrymple, in which he noted that drafting has switched to choosing players that fit the game style the coach wants to play and not so much the best talant (within reason of course)

Of the 5 kids drafted last year, 3 were specifically targeted. Wilson, Hastie and Hugo. As a type of player those guys are very similar to Travaglia, and very dissimilar to Reid. In fact if you didn't already know the difference between Hastie and Travaglia you'd be forgiven for thinking they were the same guy.
Reid probably goes to a club that has enough grunt players already.

After watching Cripps drag the scum back into the game on Sunday I'm back onboard the Smilie train. I reckon he'd compliment what we already have & give us an intimidating inside duo with Scud in a few seasons time.

It looks like he's rebounded from a disappointing champs in a positive way so far. How he can perform during the finals will obviously go a long way to decide whether is drifts to us or goes early doors.

From what I've seen his kicking is pretty solid, especially when kicking at goal... the mechanics of his kicking look smooth... like most kids its probably a mix of decision making and the talent of who he's kicking it to.

Would be pretty exciting to see what Smilie could develop into with Lenny & DC guiding him IMO.

Last edited:
I feel like when he gets a couple of AFL preseasons into that big body, he might be pretty epic.
And I think his kicking is fine and will get better with fitness, drilling, power and confidence.

Not 100% sure about it, but have that feeling.

He’s a potential pick one so you’d hope he has heaps of upside but when you’re getting a rare high pick you are trying to make sure most boxes are ticked. He gives me a bit of concern for the same reason as Barrels said.

It’s the most even spread of talent in years IMO. I reckon some clubs could jump earlier on a few that others rate outside the top 10 even. The standout ones have a few question marks and the safer bets seem to have potential lower ceilings.

The problem with that is that I reckon most clubs will be thinking the same thing. Why sell the farm to move into a slightly better position?

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back