2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Its all speculation mate, Im sure there will be midfield options available at our first picks. Perhaps not the ones you and other supporters want, but Im sure the club have it covered. Go and have a look at the key defender combinations from the past grand final winners. There wont be many top 10 key defenders (exception Darcy Moore), but plenty of midfielders taken in that range that played major roles in there wins.

We need A grade mids and nothing changes that and they are generally taken high in the drafts. We can find a Battle replacement much cheaper at a later point in the draft eg Mraz, OFarrell, Matt Whitlock, Barratt, Tuaru, Nicholls plus the club will back themselves to get Shoenmaker and Cole up to speed. There is less a chance of finding the quality midfielders we need later in the draft, plus the club might even split their compensation pick and if that happens Trainor wont be the first pick.

Im sure I have also read you quote "that you dont use top 10 picks on key defenders", I think sometimes your posting is that prolific you forget what you have quoted. But at least its entertaining...

I hate taking rucks and key defenders in the front end of drafts but Trainor isn’t a lumbering oaf back man. More like an attacking tall back. He’s getting big numbers and can go forward. I’m not saying we shouldn’t take them in the front end of the draft but you don’t reach for a mid if Trainor is the best talent.

We are putting together a very decent spread of mids now. Garcia and Phillipou look likely to make it and with a better injury run we have depth. I’d chase an older bridging player, draft one with one of our 2 firsts and maybe even two if good ones are there. Just disagree that we have to take mids mids and more mids. Take the best available talent.

What's written about Gross sounds really good, what's the downside that prevents him being further up the draft?

He looks really good but maybe a bit one dimensional

I’m just concerned that we will fall behind clubs like Richmond when we project our ‘premiership window’ will be open in 2027 if we don’t get that top 5 undeniable talent in.

This draft it looks like they will have 1, 6, 9, 10/12, 17, 20, 21, 22 and 29. Which is insane and they will likely look to trade up with North and into next year. They get the top players in the next two drafts and have the ‘big’ club aura to attract free agents to supplement when they all come of age.

Its great to pick the eyes out of the draft in Nas, Phillipou, Wilson etc. but on our trajectory we won’t finish bottom 5 again before 26/27 so how are we going to get that Bont/Trac/De Goey/LDU type otherwise (no LDU isn’t very likely to come to us)

We are in danger of remaining 6th to 10th unless we go bold.

Richmond are getting picks for cutting hard. Should spend a few years uncompetitive like WC. We will be competing with North and GC who are the biggest talent pools of kids right now.

There’s no way Jagga FOS Draper Smillie Lalor Langford are all gone before our pick. Almost certain one will slide
... weren't you just saying there will be no sliders? I'm pretty sure that's what you said

I mean I get it because you don't rate langford top 6, but to use the word "slide", you're opening yourself up to my gotcha reply ;)

A minor tragedy occurred in this game. Through one and a bit quarters of football we'd been treated to one of the best head to head battles of the year between Lindsay and Langford, directly matched up on each other in the middle and each at the absolute top of their game. Unfortunately we lost Xavier to a suspected PCL injury, cutting short the spectacle and probably cutting short his season given how few weeks we have remaining.

In his one quarter and 4 mins of play Lindsay racked up 11 disposals and 5 clearances showing just how hot a start he'd made.

geeee I like the look of him, very zippy, where do you think he'll go now he's done a PCL?

This draft is very good, do yourself a favour and have a listen to Derek Hine on the Future Stars podcast on SEN.

Everyone in this forum will feel very content after listening to him about this draft, Harry Armstrong coming with a bullet, rocketing into top 5 contention, we are in a great position!

Richmond are getting picks for cutting hard. Should spend a few years uncompetitive like WC. We will be competing with North and GC who are the biggest talent pools of kids right now.
I feel like Richmond will resemble the early days of GC and GWS. Lots of high picks but all too young to be competitive. It could be a much longer rebuild than they're hoping

I feel like Richmond will resemble the early days of GC and GWS. Lots of high picks but all too young to be competitive. It could be a much longer rebuild than they're hoping
Except they're a big VIC club and its easier to convince mature players to come to their club after they finish hitting the draft

Gold Coast haven't made any big signings recently from memory

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This draft is very good, do yourself a favour and have a listen to Derek Hine on the Future Stars podcast on SEN.

Everyone in this forum will feel very content after listening to him about this draft, Harry Armstrong coming with a bullet, rocketing into top 5 contention, we are in a great position!

Thanks I had a listen like others Hine speaks very highly of this years draft group. Believes its a great draft. Collingwood obviously need key tall forwards and Hine mentioned Jobe Shanahan was really impressed with him, he hinted Collingwood will attempt to get back into the top end of the draft to grab a tall forward.

When asked to name the possible No 1 pick he rattled off - Jagga Smith, Levi Ashcroft, Harry Armstrong & Harvey Langford.

Last edited:
I’m just concerned that we will fall behind clubs like Richmond when we project our ‘premiership window’ will be open in 2027 if we don’t get that top 5 undeniable talent in.

This draft it looks like they will have 1, 6, 9, 10/12, 17, 20, 21, 22 and 29. Which is insane and they will likely look to trade up with North and into next year. They get the top players in the next two drafts and have the ‘big’ club aura to attract free agents to supplement when they all come of age.

Its great to pick the eyes out of the draft in Nas, Phillipou, Wilson etc. but on our trajectory we won’t finish bottom 5 again before 26/27 so how are we going to get that Bont/Trac/De Goey/LDU type otherwise (no LDU isn’t very likely to come to us)

We are in danger of remaining 6th to 10th unless we go bold.
Yea except that Richmond is going to gut their only good players. Picks with out talent is not good. Eg north , Carlton , Deez etc etc.

A minor tragedy occurred in this game. Through one and a bit quarters of football we'd been treated to one of the best head to head battles of the year between Lindsay and Langford, directly matched up on each other in the middle and each at the absolute top of their game. Unfortunately we lost Xavier to a suspected PCL injury, cutting short the spectacle and probably cutting short his season given how few weeks we have remaining.

In his one quarter and 4 mins of play Lindsay racked up 11 disposals and 5 clearances showing just how hot a start he'd made.

Killed the champs. Is there a bit of Gulden there, Noob?

Just on his history, do you think? Imagine they don’t absolutely love what gets through to 7 and they split both 😅.
History and what he said when he arrived. He'll draft on needs more than best available. The players I listed possess desirable traits for the RTB game style - speed, endurance, ball use

We've done very well with players drafted from interstate. Pou and NMW have been pretty massive hits. Think we need to back ourselves in if the opportunity presents.
BTW, i'm not saying trade out of this draft entirely, certainly not. But if we have 2 1st rounders and somebody wants to overpay, i'm here for it.
I don’t mean Vics are weak so we’re stuffed, I mean the Vics being weak drags the whole draft pool quality down.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back