2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

youtube algorithm

he's a monster, flinging people aside with a swipe of his paw. He will be a clearance beast ala crips, possibly our clearance beast

Did seem to get a bit gassed by the end after bench pressing the lions for 3 quarters

with one or more of smillie, trainor, or langford sliding we're in a great spot

We’re in a great spot and should do well. I tuned into a game this year and watched this kid lighting it up even hit someone with a worm burner and I was 😳😍. Then he just drifted about and didn’t do much while jagga smith kept finding the ball. This is where the nuance comes in the stuff our recruiters are payed to know and we’re generally not privy to, workload, injury, Character, how coachable are they and so on.

We have lost Ross and Crouch and soon lose Steele and Jones. Three out of four are inside mids.
If you want to look 4 years down the track, our inside mids will be bare. We have this and next draft to replenish.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Garcia and Pou look inside and we will most likely get at least one in this draft. Windy comes on and then later picks, recruiting for FA etc and you have plenty of them at Sandy. Can only play 2 true inside only types. One and a couple of subs. Dow and Henry pushing up, even Nas could move on ball

We’re in a great spot and should do well. I tuned into a game this year and watched this kid lighting it up even hit someone with a worm burner and I was 😳😍. Then he just drifted about and didn’t do much while jagga smith kept finding the ball. This is where the nuance comes in the stuff our recruiters are payed to know and we’re generally not privy to, workload, injury, Character, how coachable are they and so on.
I think he just needs to work on his tank... move him in with wood for a few months should sort him out

I'm not as worried about the "character" flaws as I would have once been, mainly because I think the environment can really help to overcome those issues and from all accounts with wood, pou, windy, byrnes, Nas, etc it appears we're in a really good place. I think they will drive standards. Attitude is contagious, just look at melbourne. If players around you start slacking, getting on the piss, nose beers etc, it's easy to shift your mindset. But if everyone is locked in, it's sink or swim

im two minutes in, absolute monster, parts the seas with strength and hits a flat 50 meter kick lace out i50, surely he has the highest ceiling of them all

(apologies to to those that have already seen these)

edit: ok his disposal by foot is a bit sloppy this game but he's doing it on purpose so as to slide to the mighty saints

Thres absolutely no option except totally nail those two picks..and Im talking Bont/Petracca/Cripps/Neale level of nailing, not Clark/Coffield. Yes they were earlier pics but tha'ts the level of player we need to get. Actual elite not good or OK or "has the potential to be anything"

One more draft after this then Tassie, where we can kiss any high picks goodbye for 3 years

I just watched the last half of the Northern Knights vs Eastern Ranges game.

Dattoli looked real classy, moved well with excellent evasive skills. On a windy day his handballing to set up his team mates running into space was elite.

I have tried to find positives in watching Smillie play, but the more I see the less I like. At this point he is an absolute NO for me.

Thomas SIMMS played about 50% in the ruck and is very capable as well as providing a strong marking target forward. He plays a bit like Darcy Cameron from the Pies, a good ruckman who is also just as capable around the ground and forward. If we could get him with our 3rd rounder he would be excellent.

Last edited:
Thres absolutely no option except totally nail those two picks..and Im talking Bont/Petracca/Cripps/Neale level of nailing, not Clark/Coffield. Yes they were earlier pics but tha'ts the level of player we need to get. Actual elite not good or OK or "has the potential to be anything"

One more draft after this then Tassie, where we can kiss any high picks goodbye for 3 years
Yeah, by all accounts next years draft pool isn’t great the there Tassie to deal with. Beating Carlton was fun but really would have been handy having 5 and 6 and nabbing a Smillie or Langford. Now we’re praying for sliders

just when i thought things couldnt get any worse i see richmond are likely to get end of first round compo for graham,the total spud is never on the park,if battle only gets us band 2 that will add even more insult to injury watching the termites get a pick for graham before us,i mean rioli baker bolton lynch i wouldnt mind,but graham=geez

Lucky we will get band 1 for Battle then.

If that is true about Graham then that is just nonsense.

But it is a 4 year deal. The mathematics of the compensation formula, and the fact that a desperate West Coast has to pay overs, makes it a possibility.

Smillie, hmmm

I know SFA about the draft but he seems a high risk high reward type. Wouldn’t be my first choice but if he’s around the mark and we have an extra pick then why not - could be a slider, or could go pick 1.

Out of the clips I’ve seen so far I have the least confidence in him not being a bust.

On the other hand, could be an X Factor star player for us. Between him and Owens we would have a couple of very powerful mid-forwards.

Think we need a foil to Phillipou (who’s tracking to be a Bont-esque type of midfielder), someone explosive. Lalor? I’d be happy with Langford and Reid too even though they seem to have less pace.

In fact honestly, just take best available, I’m just hoping, really hoping, that we get a strong core of very plausible young midfielders to join Pou & Garcia.

Windy/Wilson/Owens/Nas can all play different roles, and run through the middle, but I want a real core engine room going through there.

Going to such an interesting draft, even just to see where the club’s mindset is at
Smilie is a beast and if we land him we should be over the moon. The only knock on him is some lacklustre effort in the back half of the season but l believe he was also playing injured. It's a bit of clutchingat straws IMHO.
Who knows the real truth, but all that top group of about 7-8 players are very worthy.

It’s an interesting conversation as to what types we actually need. Akifu reckons we need more speed on the ball. Others an inside extractor bull. Others a class first receiver and some want Trainor. Someone needs to do spread sheet with types and how many we can play in one side ranked by quality and potential.

Part of drafting is planning for what the side looks like in 5 years, not right now as well.

We lack speed around the ball but have buckets of it when it is flicked out wide.

Hares like Sinclair, Henry, Hill, NWM etc.

Our trouble is actually getting our hands on the thing during clearance. That’s why the possibility of Smillie sliding to us is just incredible.

Hopefully our internal talent identification is better. Knowing who to pump five years into and who to cut is where clubs like Geelong and Collingwood excel.

If they feel confident that Garcia and Phillipou are going to play 100 plus games as a grade mids it really changes the draft plan. Windhager is still tracking very well too.

Steele, Clark, Dow and Jones could still play better more consistent footy with less injury and Henry can go on ball. We don’t need bulk mids we need injury luck and smart planning around structure. Then try to find an absolute elite on ball player.
We need 2-3 mids via trade or draft and 4 wouldn't hurt. I agree we did better running some numbers through our midfield, but while we aren't desperate in other positions and its a midfielders draft, we may as well make hay.

youtube algorithm

he's a monster, flinging people aside with a swipe of his paw. He will be a clearance beast ala crips, possibly our clearance beast

Did seem to get a bit gassed by the end after bench pressing the lions for 3 quarters

It’s hard to believe he could slide to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garcia and Pou look inside and we will most likely get at least one in this draft. Windy comes on and then later picks, recruiting for FA etc and you have plenty of them at Sandy. Can only play 2 true inside only types. One and a couple of subs. Dow and Henry pushing up, even Nas could move on ball

I think Garcia is both inside and outside.

His run and chase down of Holmes the other week showed that. He’s bloody quick.

Lucky we will get band 1 for Battle then.

If that is true about Graham then that is just nonsense.

But it is a 4 year deal. The mathematics of the compensation formula, and the fact that a desperate West Coast has to pay overs, makes it a possibility.
in the same thing i read they think they are getting 6 and 20 for rioli,surely not?2 for bolton is understandable,but not rioli

If Finn O’Sullivan is available at 2 then Id be open to swapping 7 + 8 for 2 and 22. Likewise I would also consider swapping 7 + 8 for 3 and 12 from West Coast.

If one were to slide I think it would be Langford. Especially after he tests. Cals been on record saying some clubs love him and some clubs view him as a dime a dozen midfielder. If the clubs infront of us don’t really rate him and he tests poorly I could see him out of all the above slide to us.
So all the clubs ahead of us don’t rate him, but we do?

Last edited:
It’s an interesting conversation as to what types we actually need. Akifu reckons we need more speed on the ball. Others an inside extractor bull. Others a class first receiver and some want Trainor. Someone needs to do spread sheet with types and how many we can play in one side ranked by quality and potential.

Part of drafting is planning for what the side looks like in 5 years, not right now as well.
We need a Crouch. We missed him a lot this year.
So I’m going with one of these.

in the same thing i read they think they are getting 6 and 20 for rioli,surely not?2 for bolton is understandable,but not rioli

Gold Coast are desperate. Rioli is contracted and they have made a commitment to him.

I think they will pay 6 and may swap pick 20 for a later pick. Effectively pick 6 and change.

If Finn O’Sullivan is available at 2 then Id be open to swapping 7 + 8 for 2 and 22. Likewise I would also consider swapping 7 + 8 for 3 and 12 from West Coast.

West Coast may not do that. But we might not do that either.

We may think we are better off with back-to-back picks. Especially if there is a big slider after pick 6.

the top end is very even, swapping 7 and 8 for 2 is not a good move imo

We will only get 1 of the top 6 at 7 and 8 and the one we get will most likely be Josh Smille, Id rather get FOS by overpaying slightly. If you think they are all even you are only listening to the ‘talk is’ and not seen them yourself. FOS when fit is clear number 1.

youtube algorithm

Is there an actual chance he could slide? Would be like Pou all over again.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back