2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly but FOS has been really inconsistent as bad as Lalor. Injury excuses only go so far, but we would be happy with any if the slid through.

I might have to find love for Smillie they way things are looking. šŸ˜‚
You keep going on about this and I canā€™t have been any clearer.

I donā€™t ā€œloveā€ Smillie.

But in a draft where there just isnā€™t a standout pick 1. Had his form been anywhere near consistent enough. You would be stupid to over look a 194cm power mid in the mould of Cripps at pick 1.

Now, his form hasnā€™t been anywhere near good enough. But the tools are there for any club to develop a superstar. Will probably take 4-5 years in the system under a really tight development program. But if a club does it well, they will be laughing for the next decade.

You keep going on about this and I canā€™t have been any clearer.

I donā€™t ā€œloveā€ Smillie.

But in a draft where there just isnā€™t a standout pick 1. Had his form been anywhere near consistent enough. You would be stupid to over look a 194cm power mid in the mould of Cripps at pick 1.

Now, his form hasnā€™t been anywhere near good enough. But the tools are there for any club to develop a superstar. Will probably take 4-5 years in the system under a really tight development program. But if a club does it well, they will be laughing for the next decade.
Settle petal I was joking and taking the p*ss out of myself.

My No1 issue is his disposal under pressure. All too often it's a dinky loopy little handball that gets you slaughtered in AFL. His kicking suffers similarly. So not suitable for grunt work and too slow for outside, not special overhead or at ground level. Where do you play him?
He's an Alpha Romeo.
Billings alert written all over him IMO

Everyone considers Hunter Clark a good kick, but we all know that Nas is on another level. Thats kind of the difference with Reid, good kick but not exceptional

Iā€™m starting to prepare myself for him arriving. I wonā€™t hate the club but Iā€™ll be slightly annoyed. Iā€™d be hoping he turns out to be a Lachie Neale - just purely a contested ball machine who doesnā€™t really do much else. Will rarely burst out of packs like Warner and Butters, and will rarely fend off opponents like Dusty, Trac, LDU, JDG, but can always be trusted to rack up 25+ touches, 10+ contested possessions, 7+ clearances
Yeah id love to draft a bloke who will win 2 x Brownlow, 4 x AAs and 5 x B&Fs.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Damien Barrett just said ā€œIt canā€™t be a top 10 pick for Josh Battle, Iā€™m sorryā€

These guys speak to player managers and have a good idea of what sort money was offered etc.

Prepare yourselves for the lube.
Saints are about to get f***ed
Damian Barrett knows squat!
Just hates the Saints. Never, ever had a positive word to say.

I wonder how many player managers would speak to him? Half the clubs have banned him.

Just like Ralph and Morris, none of these guys want an opposition team to get a good deal. Iā€™m quietly confident that our own Bassat will have had his fingerprints all over this.

I wonder how many player managers would speak to him? Half the clubs have banned him.

Just like Ralph and Morris, none of these guys want an opposition team to get a good deal. Iā€™m quietly confident that our own Bassat will have had his fingerprints all over this.

Barrett can't get it out of his head that the AFL don't sit down, and talk about how good the player is to determine compensation.
Its irrelevant. Zane Cordy as a free agent would attract Tier 1 if you paid him enough.

Im sure you would have an opinion you'd like to share, you have one on everything else!

You make these grandiose statements that you believe are fact and leave no room for anyone else to be objective.
Yeah yeah cause I was the one that said this right?

"Im confident he will become an elite midfielder at the next level and those doubters will be shown to be a questionable judge of talent when it happens."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Allan Davis was one of my favourite players when I was a kid, but he was certainly hot and cold! In 1971 he kicked ten goals at Moorabbin early in the year against the Pies. Later that year in the Preliminary final he kicked six against Richmond and was BOG. A week later against the Hawks in the Grand Final he hardly touched it and only kicked one goal. We lost by 7 points, but I reckon if Davis had been hot rather than cold that day we would have won our second flag!

Allan Jeans played Allan Davis (at Full Forward) on Kelvin Moore and left him there all day.

Moore was about 6 inches taller and killed Davis in the air. Moore was also pretty good at ground level.

If Davis had played further up the ground on a half forward flank then he might have been more involved. But Jeans had a problem.

Barry Lawrence would have been Mooreā€™s direct opponent. But Bob Murray busted his knee in the 1Q (in the same passage of play where Cowboy Neale flattened Peter Hudson).

Lawrence then needed to be moved into defence to play on Hudson (which he did magnificently). Murray had to leave the field after a short stint at FF playing on Moore.

It left our forward line without its structure with Lawrence covering the loss of Murray. Poor Allan Davis was thrown to the wolves to cover for Lawrence.

The passage of play where Hudson was KOā€™d cost St Kilda the 1971 Flag. Watch the replay. Itā€™s not often acknowledged by historians. We lost both our champion FB and our designated FF.

I would be very happy if we got Reid he has undeniable talent and definitley top5 pick worthy, but only if we pair him with a dynamic-type mid in the Petracca/HReid/LDU mould like FOS, Lalor, Hynes to compliment his style. We can't neglect the need for a dynamic mid forever.

Unless Melbourne or North take a taller player (such as Armstrong or Trainor) then weā€™ll end up with the seventh of the mids seen as the cream of this draft crop (not including the Ashcroft bid).

The question then becomes what do we do with our next pick? (which is the Battle compensation pick). Split it? (If there are takers). Reach for a dynamic-type mid? Or simply take the best available? (whoever it is).

Allan Jeans played Allan Davis (at Full Forward) on Kelvin Moore and left him there all day.

Moore was about 6 inches taller and killed Davis in the air. Moore was also pretty good at ground level.

If Davis had played further up the ground on a half forward flank then he might have been more involved. But Jeans had a problem.

Barry Lawrence would have been Mooreā€™s direct opponent. But Bob Murray busted his knee in the 1Q (in the same passage of play where Cowboy Neale flattened Peter Hudson).

Lawrence then needed to be moved into defence to play on Hudson (which he did magnificently). Murray had to leave the field after a short stint at FF playing on Moore.

It left our forward line without its structure with Lawrence covering the loss of Murray. Poor Allan Davis was thrown to the wolves to cover for Lawrence.

The passage of play where Hudson was KOā€™d cost St Kilda the 1971 Flag. Watch the replay. Itā€™s not often acknowledged by historians. We lost both our champion FB and our designated FF.
Sad eh..I was there with my dad

Certainly a bit of movement in the top 20 according to Twomey.

I know its only Cals favourites but the phantom is what scares the hell out of me. Draper will definitely not be available at our first pick but I'd be beside myself if he was.

The worry is that Trainer has slid so far, is that indicative of what's happening in clubland? Will the Dees or Roos take Armstrong?

The guys (in that top 30) taken from 9-20 could all end up the same in terms of quality.

Broken record time, but I'd be a whole lot more comfortable sitting pretty with 5/6 right about now.

Here's a quick little tune celebrating the real stars of September, Barrett and Morris.

View attachment Purple Licker.mp3

I know its only Cals favourites but the phantom is what scares the hell out of me. Draper will definitely not be available at our first pick but I'd be beside myself if he was.

The worry is that Trainer has slid so far, is that indicative of what's happening in clubland? Will the Dees or Roos take Armstrong?

The guys (in that top 30) taken from 9-20 could all end up the same in terms of quality.

Broken record time, but I'd be a whole lot more comfortable sitting pretty with 5/6 right about now.
I had the same reaction on all of that. Draper would be a perfect fit. Canā€™t see it happening - but who does get there instead? So long glorious pick 5.

I share some of the Reid concerns, but the real knockers should really read Twomeyā€™s view on his IQ because that doesnā€™t go away. And the fact that he may have clubs thinking heā€™s the best player in it.

Certainly a bit of movement in the top 20 according to Twomey.

It's very Vic centric there are a number of interstate kids not in the Melbourne media spotlight deserving of top 30 spots. I imagine the actual draft to be a bit more balanced. The huge bonus is there are a number of very good players not on that list, it would be great if we can some how get more picks in the 30-50 range. Now we can trade two years in advance, perhaps clubs like Richmond will be interested in trading out there later picks into later years.

Last edited:
It's very Vic centric there are a number of interstate kids not in the Melbourne media spotlight deserving of top 30 spots. I imagine the actual draft to be a bit more balanced. The huge bonus is there are a number of very good players not on that list, it would be great if we can some how get more picks in the 30-50 range. Now we can trade two years in advance, perhaps clubs like Richmond will be interested in trading out there later picks into later years.
I was just thinking about that and the names not on the list. I really hope we can keep that 3rd rounder. In particular, a great shot at a tall, but others as well. Some names off the top of my head:
Oā€™Farrell
Davis
Mraz
Nicholls
Gerryn
Sims
Ough
Barrat
Warburton
Herbett

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.