2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who knows. I still don't think this draft has an absolutely incredible front end. Nearly every player apart from probably Ashcroft has a few question marks. There are ones that you'd prefer but I don't feel like any are absolute certain stars. I like the idea of having multiple picks because I think players right through this draft could end up stars but they are going to be a bit harder to find than most years because it's so even that you are distracted by the volume.

I'm calling it as a repeat of 2017 with a huge run of talent between about pick 15 and 30. A few bad misses will go before then IMO.
Yes much prefer to use both 7 and 8 if we have them both rather than trade one out. You ar much more likely to get at least one pretty good mid put of it.
And we desperately need at least one young gun mid.

Contested competitive beast. 194 cm he’s one I’m least worried about translating at afl level. At minimum he will be a gun clearance player. Has the craft and the athleticism

I'm not convinced. His size advantage over kids half his size evaporates at the next level. To me the lack of competitiveness during the champs has really put a smell over him. He looked disinterested at times. I love Langford because he looks like he wants to impress at every opportunity. Same with Reid. Jagga too.

With a few names now dropping as 'hopes' for our 2nd rounder, would anyone be open to trading our Battle Compo for the Swans top 2 picks?

Right now it'd be 8 for 18+19... maybe we ask for a F3rd or something?

If we are worried about the injuries/quality of two players at 7/8 could we grab a Faull + Mid at the end of the first round and still be happy?
Swans picks would slide back 3 (Ashcroft, Kako, Lombard bids).

But yes, I think I'd still take it in live trading (if there wasn't 2 guns when it got to our first pick).

I'm huge on Ough and Hynes. And I'd ideally like a tall with our natural pick 24.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damien Barrett just said “It can’t be a top 10 pick for Josh Battle, I’m sorry”

These guys speak to player managers and have a good idea of what sort money was offered etc.

Prepare yourselves for the lube.
Saints are about to get f***ed
Damien Barrett said that?

I'm pretty confident it's pick 8 now.

I'm not convinced. His size advantage over kids half his size evaporates at the next level. To me the lack of competitiveness during the champs has really put a smell over him. He looked disinterested at times. I love Langford because he looks like he wants to impress at every opportunity. Same with Reid. Jagga too.
You "can" see it here.
Some of those kids he's fending off and tackling look like primary schoolers.

Swans picks would slide back 3 (Ashcroft, Kako, Lombard bids).

But yes, I think I'd still take it in live trading (if there wasn't 2 guns when it got to our first pick).

I'm huge on Ough and Hynes. And I'd ideally like a tall with our natural pick 24.
I would probably do that deal, a tad reluctantly as I reckon we could get better offers. If the Pies end up with 12 in the Noble trade I'd be looking at that plus their future first, which they won't need with McGuane coming through. Gives us some extra ammo at the trade table next year. Need to hope they rate the guy at 8 a lot higher than we do.

Will be interesting to see if we get Band 4 for Membrey (end of 2nd round), there'll be some good prospects still around at that pick - maybe Ough included? That would be a great result.

Listened to the Lalor interview again, I just like him more and more. Apart from the barracking for Collingwood bit.

The kid said he was playing elite cricket so never really did a preseason. So injury interrupted without much of a preseason and still impressed more than most.

If I could read between the lines, if Richmond have a second pick before ours then I reckon he'll be gone. Smiled and said he'd like a jumper presented by Dusty. Said he plays like De Goey or Dusty. Dusty will be a Suns player by then but I feel he is sensing some Tigers love.

Lalor I fear will be gone before us, but that explosiveness is what I desperately want for us. He's the game changer, we need a point of difference and to have a Dusty, De Goey, Reid, JHF type to carry us on their back is exactly him I feel.

I'd be OK with any of the other mids, or even Trainor if his concussions weren't a long term concern - but I'm back on the Lalor or bust train knowing FoS, Jagga and Draper will be gone.

Listened to the Lalor interview again, I just like him more and more. Apart from the barracking for Collingwood bit.

The kid said he was playing elite cricket so never really did a preseason. So injury interrupted without much of a preseason and still impressed more than most.

If I could read between the lines, if Richmond have a second pick before ours then I reckon he'll be gone. Smiled and said he'd like a jumper presented by Dusty. Said he plays like De Goey or Dusty. Dusty will be a Suns player by then but I feel he is sensing some Tigers love.

Lalor I fear will be gone before us, but that explosiveness is what I desperately want for us. He's the game changer, we need a point of difference and to have a Dusty, De Goey, Reid, JHF type to carry us on their back is exactly him I feel.

I'd be OK with any of the other mids, or even Trainor if his concussions weren't a long term concern - but I'm back on the Lalor or bust train knowing FoS, Jagga and Draper will be gone.
I get your thoughts re: never doing a pre-season, but on the flip side how's he going to cope with an AFL pre-eason?

On Smillie, Dylan Alexander made an exceptional video evaluating him as a player. The point that stood out to me was the ground balls argument - for a tall midfielder to make it at AFL level, they have to be able to win ground balls. It's what separates Bontempelli, Cripps, and Green from the likes of Nash and Setterfield. Apparently Smillie is 'elite' in this category in U18s

Alexander then goes on to directly compare Smillie to Tom Green and the similarities are very promising - including the fall in form for Champs

I get your thoughts re: never doing a pre-season, but on the flip side how's he going to cope with an AFL pre-eason?
But he can do this WITHOUT one, imagine with one. Sure, might struggle with the first one and he'd have to condition his body - especially after the hammy - but I'm excited about the scope for improvement rather than concerned over never had one.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back