2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Starting to feel like we will end up with 7. Reid and/or 8. Smilie.

1. J. Smith - Rich
2. H. Langford - Rich (Nth-P6+17)
3. S. Lalor - WC
4. S. Draper - Adel
5. F. O’Sullivan - Melb
6. H. Armstrong - Nth (Rich-P2), (GC-Rioli)
7. M. Reid - Stk
8. J. Smilie - Stk (B1-Battle)

• WC and Lalor is the best fit being a country lad and is probably that high or higher on most boards.
  • Adelaide left with little option but to take grumpy local lad. Would’ve loved to take Lalor.
  • I’m convinced Melbourne will go for the best available mid. They need some young quality in there. Already have two promising KPFs on the list.
  • Nth trade down and get their KPF and bank an extra pick in a great range for a KPD.
  • leaves stk with Reid at 7, Smilie at 8. Wouldn’t be upset but think it’s the least ideal scenario for us. Draper and Lalor seem the most suitable to me
Why would we draft that hack when anyone else at all is still available?

As long as Armstrong (I doubt Trainor will now), but as long as Armstrong is gone before us we should have two good options. The above scenario with FOS going at 5 hurts like hell though

Nth look very likely to take talls luckily for us and they will go Armstrong or Tauru now I think based on media spec. Trainor may slip all the way down to their would be P17.

Think it would be a coin flip for Melbourne between FOS/Reid in that scenario but think Melbourne are nervy about the game leaving them behind with speed and transition so rightly or wrongly will consider the stronger athletic profile of FOS preferable.

Reid looks very worthy of P7 and Smilie P8 so wouldn’t be all bad with those two.

Freo will want to shift a pick into next year for Warner and may be happy with our F1 for their P11. Reckon Travaglia, Lindsay, Hotton would all be great picks at 11 to pair with a Reid/Smilie combo.

We get B2 for Battle, we’re probably looking at a Hannerford, Hynes, maybe still Hotton instead of Smilie

Nth look very likely to take talls luckily for us and they will go Armstrong or Tauru now I think based on media spec. Trainor may slip all the way down to their would be P17.

Think it would be a coin flip for Melbourne between FOS/Reid in that scenario but think Melbourne are nervy about the game leaving them behind with speed and transition so rightly or wrongly will consider the stronger athletic profile of FOS preferable.

Reid looks very worthy of P7 and Smilie P8 so wouldn’t be all bad with those two.

Freo will want to shift a pick into next year for Warner and may be happy with our F1 for their P11. Reckon Travaglia, Lindsay, Hotton would all be great picks at 11 to pair with a Reid/Smilie combo.

We get B2 for Battle, we’re probably looking at a Hannerford, Hynes, maybe still Hotton instead of Smilie

Surprisingly, North don't have many tall mids - so the concern is that they may prefer one of Smillie or Langford, even Lalor as a point of difference to their midfield stocks.

I know us fans think North need key position talent but even in the mid season draft they went a mid over better key position options.

This draft has very good talls like the Whitlocks, Mraz, Sims etc - they all look like late first early second rounders. If I was selecting for North in this draft, I'd take the elite tall mid then a quality tall a bit later.

I thought Melbourne might be a chance, but they have taken a few talls early of late and probably want mid to replace Oliver and even an aging Viney type. They got the flag, now back to getting better picks than us - bloody frustrating.

I reckon we should try to get excited by someone like Lindsay to not be disappointed on draft night. With Trainor sliding we might not see one of the top mids get through to 8. Lindsay may still end up being a star, all is not completely lost.

1. J. Smith - Rich
3. S. Lalor - WC
4. S. Draper - Adel
5. F. O’Sullivan - Melb
7. M. Reid - Stk

• WC and Lalor is the best fit being a country lad and is probably that high or higher on most boards.
  • Adelaide left with little option but to take grumpy local lad. Would’ve loved to take Lalor.
  • I’m convinced Melbourne will go for the best available mid. They need some young quality in there. Already have two promising KPFs on the list.
  • Nth trade down and get their KPF and bank an extra pick in a great range for a KPD.
  • leaves stk with Reid at 7, Smilie at 8. Wouldn’t be upset but think it’s the least ideal scenario for us. Draper and Lalor seem the most suitable to me

There are so many variances its impossible to do a predicted draft at this stage. Prior to our pick/s Richmond, GCS, WCE all have wheels in motion. I think the only club we could be 90% sure on is Adelaide will take Draper if he gets through to their pick. If WCE dont use Pick #3 in their trading with Richmond then Draper could very well end up there. If North have eyes on a tall they may very well want to get a pick later in the draft, again depending on which clubs end up in front of them.

The only real certainty in this draft is that Levi Ashcroft is the best player in the draft and its a travesty that we wont be taken at pick #1.

Last edited:
Need to try to get another first round. Offer our future first to suns (12) and tigers (6 / 10 from freo) and see if they bite.
No reason to wait a yet to draft someone when the options are good now. Get the xtra development into them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% would be my move as well. Next year go stupidly hard for LDU, De Koning or Brayshaw with an offer they cannot refuse.

Pies did it this year in a way, by getting Perryman, it offsets not having a first rounder.

I'd make it known that 8 and F1 is up for sale in any number of ways. Pick 7 as well as long as it's to get a better pick.

I hope we are being super aggressive with our picks, especially the future F1

Don't know anything about this years kids but if there is a standout couldn't we pair up our 2 first round picks and get pick 2 or 3.
Or are they pretty well even.

It's something that I'm sure we are looking at. There isn't actually a standout, but that could work in our favour.

There could be someone, for example Lalor or FOS, who we could actually rate as a clear number 1. If we think that way, another club could look at the top 8 and think we can't split them - or for a WA club they may think that Bo Allen is their clear choice.

Best case scenario as per above strategy would be a club like West Coast wanting Allen at 8 and being happy to trade 3 & 13 (from Hawthorn for Barrass) for 8 & our F1.

That's fanciful, and exactly what I'd love to do. End of the day, pick one can come from any number of about 6 or 7 players this year. Pick 8, if we get it, falls just outside of that but usually there are bolters so you just never know who will fall there this year.

1. J. Smith - Rich
3. S. Lalor - WC
4. S. Draper - Adel
5. F. O’Sullivan - Melb
7. M. Reid - Stk

If Lalor is gone and FOS is still on the board, I would be happy for the club to trade up (if Melbourne or Adelaide are interested) We need a dynamic mid, the only other available would be Hynes and I prefer Lalor and FOS over Hynes.

It's something that I'm sure we are looking at. There isn't actually a standout, but that could work in our favour.

There could be someone, for example Lalor or FOS, who we could actually rate as a clear number 1. If we think that way, another club could look at the top 8 and think we can't split them - or for a WA club they may think that Bo Allen is their clear choice.

Best case scenario as per above strategy would be a club like West Coast wanting Allen at 8 and being happy to trade 3 & 13 (from Hawthorn for Barrass) for 8 & our F1.

That's fanciful, and exactly what I'd love to do. End of the day, pick one can come from any number of about 6 or 7 players this year. Pick 8, if we get it, falls just outside of that but usually there are bolters so you just never know who will fall there this year.
I don’t think any of the rebuilders will want to push out of this draft, which is supposedly deeper than usual.

I think we have a better chance getting involved in helping facilitate trades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think any of the rebuilders will want to push out of this draft, which is supposedly deeper than usual.

I think we have a better chance getting involved in helping facilitate trades.
Very true, despite the evenness the likelihood would be IF a club traded down, they'd want to probably give a poorer second pick, ie 2 & 22 for 7 & 8 (which I wouldn't be remotely interested in).

I'm struggling to see how we could help facilitate a trade using our 7 or 8, what would be an example?

Imagine this scenario:

Band 2 for Battle
FOS slides to Melbourne when we could've had that pick if not for one goal
Hynes is off the board for our band 2 pick

Would it even be worth supporting this cursed club anymore?
I think my depressed state of mind has already been entertaining that thought process for a month.

Imagine this scenario:

Band 2 for Battle
FOS slides to Melbourne when we could've had that pick if not for one goal
Hynes is off the board for our band 2 pick

Would it even be worth supporting this cursed club anymore?

I imagined this in 2021 when it looked like we were taking Nas and I was not delighted. Was desperately hoping Ward would slide. Last year I'd never heard of Garcia. The only one that I can claim is that I hated, hated, hated Tsatas in his draft class.
Point being, **** knows who's going to be good/bad. I like FOS but he might have peaked in his under 17 year Hugh Goddard style. We might take another one with our pick 24 that no one has ever heard of that goes on to become our best player. It's a lottery that's only worth getting upset over after the fact :)

Surprisingly, North don't have many tall mids - so the concern is that they may prefer one of Smillie or Langford, even Lalor as a point of difference to their midfield stocks.

I know us fans think North need key position talent but even in the mid season draft they went a mid over better key position options.

This draft has very good talls like the Whitlocks, Mraz, Sims etc - they all look like late first early second rounders. If I was selecting for North in this draft, I'd take the elite tall mid then a quality tall a bit later.

I thought Melbourne might be a chance, but they have taken a few talls early of late and probably want mid to replace Oliver and even an aging Viney type. They got the flag, now back to getting better picks than us - bloody frustrating.

I reckon we should try to get excited by someone like Lindsay to not be disappointed on draft night. With Trainor sliding we might not see one of the top mids get through to 8. Lindsay may still end up being a star, all is not completely lost.
Agree. I can even see us picking a Travaglia over one of the others that slide through. It’s that type of draft though where most of the top group have an issue or two and very possible - even more so than other years - that the best don’t follow the pick order in any way.

I’m now feeling less fazed by us being at the tail end.

Very true, despite the evenness the likelihood would be IF a club traded down, they'd want to probably give a poorer second pick, ie 2 & 22 for 7 & 8 (which I wouldn't be remotely interested in).

I'm struggling to see how we could help facilitate a trade using our 7 or 8, what would be an example?
Probably more likely getting involved in a bickering unresolved trade. They use our F1 as a balance, someone is happy with that (eg Richmond given they will have 27 1st rounders this year) and we’re able to pick up another pick this year.

Say, Rioli or a Houston trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back