2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

The more I think about it, Lalor likely to go earlier than our first pick, brings Travaglia into play. He could play straight away & fulfil a need in a back flank or pocket. Then hopefully does become a mid. down the track.
Then we swap 8 & 24 for two in-betweeners & choose the class of Hotton & Lindsay.
If we could offload a future 2nd for Harrison Oliver, would be good.
Seems at the minute, a mystery how we are going to replace key-position depth.
Cole & Soldo could be two & maybe we need to keep Hayes.
Good to see again, that we now had a crack at Leek Aleer, who denied us this year, but comes out of contract next year.

The more I think about it, Lalor likely to go earlier than our first pick, brings Travaglia into play. He could play straight away & fulfil a need in a back flank or pocket. Then hopefully does become a mid. down the track.
Then we swap 8 & 24 for two in-betweeners & choose the class of Hotton & Lindsay.
Good to see again, that we now had a crack at Leek Aleer, who denied us this year, but comes out of contract next year.

How many small/medium defensive players do we want on our list? We already have Sinclair, NAS, Webster, Stocker, Hastie, Schoenmaker, McLennan, OConnell and have Hoffman coming in and possibly is where Peckett will play initially. Now you want to add Travaglia in the hope he will become a midfielder, plus Oliver when we already have possibly 10 of those positional players on our list.

Although splitting pick #8 IF we get it might be a worth while exercise. Given the eveness of the drafts top 25 I doubt a club would want to off load two later first round picks for 8, although we might be able to get a toe in all the trading that will eventuate.

Last edited:

The difference between the top 5 prospects and the next tier is marginal.
Give me pick 7&8 over a top 3 pick and a latter pick every day and twice on Sunday.
I’m only giving up one of 7 & 8 if we’re splitting it for two picks in the teens.
Couldn’t disagree with this anymore, Smith and O’Sullivan are a class above the rest of the midfielders in this draft

It would be great if Sandringham recruited player/s worthy of a list spot. As it stands to take one of their donkeys this year would be a wasted list position, that some other decent kid with a future might take.
Isn't that the point of the guarantee? To encourage better players to come to Sandy for the opportunity.
It's probably a medium term strategy.

When other clubs start doing it it'll be a great idea.

And most likely next year will do the same unless we can really improve and give him hope that we are going the right direction

In no particular order, I’d be stoked to get any of the following, I’ve excluded Ashcroft for obvious reasons:
Draper
Smith
Langford
Armstrong
Travaglia
Lalor
O’Sullivan
Hotton
Trainor(concussion is a concern)
Smillie

I’m not big on Reid.
Interesting list, it's always interesting looking at drafting, especially for list needs.

I remember being desperate for a mid like Hobbs when we got Nas, so disappointed when we went with a flanker. Now look at the egg on everyones face, despite this, perhaps I'm still making the same mistake not wanting Travaglia.

Much would be dependent on getting pick 8, but I'd be a little shocked if we didn't get a mid if we only had one first.

I think personally it's hard to argue your top 10. I'd have Lindsay and Reid in there before Hotton though. I think Reid is made for modern footy and also our game plan with his footy smarts and handballing.

Either way, who knows what clubland thinks or even what picks we'll have to use.

Interesting list, it's always interesting looking at drafting, especially for list needs.

I remember being desperate for a mid like Hobbs when we got Nas, so disappointed when we went with a flanker. Now look at the egg on everyones face, despite this, perhaps I'm still making the same mistake not wanting Travaglia.

Much would be dependent on getting pick 8, but I'd be a little shocked if we didn't get a mid if we only had one first.

I think personally it's hard to argue your top 10. I'd have Lindsay and Reid in there before Hotton though. I think Reid is made for modern footy and also our game plan with his footy smarts and handballing.

Either way, who knows what clubland thinks or even what picks we'll have to use.
Reid is too much like Hunter Clark to me, I don’t like players of his type.

Reid is too much like Hunter Clark to me, I don’t like players of his type.
Agreed, I was saying this the other week and it seemed a polarising take.

Whilst I do like Hunter Clark, there are so many of his types you can have on a list.

That being said, perhaps looks are deceiving with Reid, who knows.

One thing is almost certain, if we have picked 7+8 its going to be hard not to get excited about who we take no matter who it is.

Dalrymple previewing the 2019 draft is amusing to watch in hindsight. A lot of parallels to how this draft is being viewed (lacking in top end talent, but with a lot of depth in terms of midfielders).

Yet for the perceived lack of top end talent it produced Rowell, Anderson, Jackson, Young, Serong, Green, Flanders, Pickett, Day, SDK in the top 20 alone.

Don't really know what my point is here but all the notions of drafts being strong / weak or comparable one year to the next can get flipped on their head pretty quickly once the proof starts emerging from the pudding.

Very effectively made my point for me.

Perceptions are nearly always wrong but hindsight analysis reveals an obvious trend.. the higher the better if you want the kind of player we want.

Before just moving on up and grabbing our guy, you’d sooner draft 5 flankers who might become the player we’re after?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many small/medium defensive players do we want on our list? We already have Sinclair, NAS, Webster, Stocker, Hastie, Schoenmaker, McLennan, OConnell and have Hoffman coming in and possibly is where Peckett will play initially. Now you want to add Travaglia in the hope he will become a midfielder, plus Oliver when we already have possibly 10 of those positional players on our list.

Although splitting pick #8 IF we get it might be a worth while exercise. Given the eveness of the drafts top 25 I doubt a club would want to off load two later first round picks for 8, although we might be able to get a toe in all the trading that will eventuate.
If the club (or us fans through hypotheticals) are inclined to trade down, then I suspect it will be on the night and for someone with a first that’s perhaps only 1-3 picks away and we grab a 2R or higher depending on the desperation / how far the slide. Moving up for a tall is possible or someone that the oppo club has fallen in love with.

After watching the GF, I thought we should go after a strong middle-size half forward who can take a contested mark. It was noticeable how strong some of the middle-size Lions were in one-on-one contests. Our crumbers are not really strong marks for their size and probably we need to improve that area.

After watching the GF, I thought we should go after a strong middle-size half forward who can take a contested mark. It was noticeable how strong some of the middle-size Lions were in one-on-one contests. Our crumbers are not really strong marks for their size and probably we need to improve that area.
Mitchito. Think he should look to Rayner as the ideal prototype.

Although splitting pick #8 IF we get it might be a worth while exercise. Given the eveness of the drafts top 25 I doubt a club would want to off load two later first round picks for 8, although we might be able 8 &24to get a toe in all the trading that will eventuate.
8 & 24 yes

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back