3 fos
4 Langford
5 draper
6 Lalor
7 smilie
8 us Reid
9 us other - travaglia/lindsay/Armstrong

We get 1 but hard to say who
so IF we get the illusive band 1, two top of the top group is still just out of reach. Unless someone else takes Armstrong in the top 7. That's annoying. We are really relying on other dominoes to fall.

I feel like our drafting has change in recent years for the better. We are more inclined to draft players at least one elite attribute. In the past we had a tendency to take good all round prospects that lack an elite trait.

I think the bigger mids and fwd/mid position is well stocked and hope we avoid Langford and Smillie. Lalor would be perfect but unlikely. In our range the likes of Travaglia, Draper, Tuaru and Lindsay all appeal and offer some elite traits. As much as I would love two mids (if the afl am does the right thing of coarse) it looks like most, if not all, of the top end ones will be gone.

Armstrong is another in our range that we might have to consider.

so IF we get the illusive band 1, two top of the top group is still just out of reach. Unless someone else takes Armstrong in the top 7. That's annoying. We are really relying on other dominoes to fall.
Pretty much and we don't get a pick of the mid. I'm not a huge fan of Reid, but if he's the only one there we take him.

Higgin's goal probably wasn't worth it but what can you do. Who knows what will happen with trading. Melbourne could finally take a tall. Richmond could have 6 and might want a tall themselves or rate travaglia highly and know we'll take him otherwise. It's hard to say but hopefully two get through.

I feel like our drafting has change in recent years for the better. We are more inclined to draft players at least one elite attribute. In the past we had a tendency to take good all round prospects that lack an elite trait.

I think the bigger mids and fwd/mid position is well stocked and hope we avoid Langford and Smillie. Lalor would be perfect but unlikely. In our range the likes of Travaglia, Draper, Tuaru and Lindsay all appeal and offer some elite traits. As much as I would love two mids (if the afl am does the right thing of coarse) it looks like most, if not all, of the top end ones will be gone.

I really hope a club above us takes Langford. I like him as a player so if he falls to our pick I'd take him but I feel like he's gonna flop so easily so I don't want us to have the option of taking him

I wouldn't avoid Smillie, his profile is so similar to Tom Green's which is a good sign. Travaglia is next up for me out of the tier 2s - I think competitiveness is one of the most important factors for a half back to move into the midfield and Travaglia has it. I'm very confident he'll at least be a solid AFL player - Will Day, Sinclair, Young, Laird, Ed Richards all quite similar with that attribute

1Ascroft
2Smith
3 fos
4 Langford
5 draper
6 Lalor
7 smilie
8 us Reid
9 us other - travaglia/lindsay/Armstrong

We get 1 but hard to say who
Say we get dreaded Band 2, I wonder if the strategy could be to use pick 19 and package to enhance our top pick. If we’re really set on one (e.g. Lalor).

Or given the depth we grab two mids and hope one can turn into a star?

Not going to lie, this has been my fear since the ball was in Jack Higgins' hands (and my head was in mine).

I guess thats assuming random phantom drafters are 100% spot on based on what recruiters are thinking.

I remember last year Leake was going top 10, Windsor could've been taken where Wilson went, etc etc - this year is potentially the year where there are VERY VERY different thoughts among recruiters, let alone random amateur phantom drafters.

Someone like Travaglia might go top 3, a club not obsessed with the CTL might think Bo Allan is the best player in this draft. Who knows this year, I could almost guarantee there would be surprises based on what us casual observers believe at this stage.

Not going to lie, this has been my fear since the ball was in Jack Higgins' hands (and my head was in mine).

I guess thats assuming random phantom drafters are 100% spot on based on what recruiters are thinking.

I remember last year Leake was going top 10, Windsor could've been taken where Wilson went, etc etc - this year is potentially the year where there are VERY VERY different thoughts among recruiters, let alone random amateur phantom drafters.

Someone like Travaglia might go top 3, a club not obsessed with the CTL might think Bo Allan is the best player in this draft. Who knows this year, I could almost guarantee there would be surprises based on what us casual observers believe at this stage.
Which is why I'm not too worried. I think we can be pretty confident that we'll get two of FOS, Jagga, Draper, Smillie, Langford, Lalor (Draper and Smillie would be elite) . Otherwise, split pick 8

I'm trying to manifest this scenario:

1. Jagga (RICH)
2. Langford (RICH) (pick 6&10 (via Rioli & Bolton) for pick 2)
3. Draper (WCE)
4. Lalor (ADEL)
5. Reid (Melb)
6. Armstrong (Norf)
7. FOS (STK)!!!!!!!!
8. SMILLIE (STK)

Can someone do a worst case phantom draft? like all mids taken before our picks kind of thing?

Worst case: (apart from B2)

1. J. Smith - Rich
2. S. Lalor - North
3. F. O’Sullivan - WC
4. S. Draper - Adel
5. M. Reid - Melb
6. H. Langford - Rich (Rioli)
7. J. Smilie - Stk
8. Armstrong - Stk?? (B1 Battle)

That’s if North and all others hold their pick and wants best available, which I feel is unlikely.

At any rate, Smilie is the one that tips out in all worst case scenarios.

Most likely I think;

1. J. Smith - Rich
2. H. Langford - Rich (Nth-Swap)
3. S. Lalor - WC
4. S. Draper - Adel
5. F. O’Sullivan - Melb
6. H. Armstrong - Nth (Rich-Swap) (GC-Rioli)
7. M. Reid - Stk
8. J. Smilie - Stk (B1-Battle)

What could be..

1. J. Smith - Rich
2. S. Lalor - Stk (Nth-Swap)
3. F. O’Sullivan - WC
4. S. Draper - Adel
5. M. Reid - Melb
6. H. Langford - Rich
7. H. Armstrong - North
8. J. Smilie/A. Tauru - North (B1-Battle - North)

We should also move our F1 for freos pick given they are right in the hunt for Warner.

We’d have 2 Lalor 11 Lindsay/Travaglia (Freo) 22 (North) Hynes/Hanneford 24 (Stk) any one of the talls left

I read somewhere that Toce is keen on Langford but if the Tigers get Pick 6 from GC I dont think they will need to go Pick 2 to get Langford ... reckon he will be available at that spot

We know Tigers, West Coast & Adelaide will probably go mid .... Jagga / Draper / Lalor / FOS

But what are North & Dees looking at?

North doesn't necessarily need mids and both seemingly need talls

Re: Travaglia ... I just dont see it ... he is not a mid .... and we need mids

I read somewhere that Toce is keen on Langford but if the Tigers get Pick 6 from GC I dont think they will need to go Pick 2 to get Langford ... reckon he will be available at that spot

We know Tigers, West Coast & Adelaide will probably go mid .... Jagga / Draper / Lalor / FOS

But what are North & Dees looking at?

North doesn't necessarily need mids and both seemingly need talls

Re: Travaglia ... I just dont see it ... he is not a mid .... and we need mids
if they wanted the tigers could literally get 1,2,3 so many options with their draft hand. Gotta say it would be exactly what we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the club (or us fans through hypotheticals) are inclined to trade down, then I suspect it will be on the night and for someone with a first that’s perhaps only 1-3 picks away and we grab a 2R or higher depending on the desperation / how far the slide. Moving up for a tall is possible or someone that the oppo club has fallen in love with.
Hopefully this.

We're an inpatient bunch as fans, but i certainly hope we're letting clubs know our picks can slide for the right price on draft night and not making any moves until then.

After watching the GF, I thought we should go after a strong middle-size half forward who can take a contested mark. It was noticeable how strong some of the middle-size Lions were in one-on-one contests. Our crumbers are not really strong marks for their size and probably we need to improve that area.
I have faith Mitch will be that player, already a strong lump of a lad. Pou when he rests forward could provide that too.

I personally like the look of Travaglia. Watching his footage I can see why he is being compared to Will Day. Looks a complete player.

Yeah, his Metro v Country game looked really good. It won me over.

I've conceded that we won't get Lalor. I'm just praying that one of FOS/Draper somehow slides down if Langford and Armstrong get taken higher up but I think the most likely scenario is Smillie + Langford if we get band 1 which isn't a bad result

Lots of doubts over Smillie but his form line and stats are almost identical to Tom Green in his draft year so if Smillie can get to that level then its a success. Langford's doubts are athleticism but we'll see after the combine over the next few days just how poor it really is. Hope he can develop into a slower but more contested Max Holmes
I'm warming to Smillie. The last player we drafted with a little figjam has turned out alright. Ideally would prefer Draper or Lalor to slide, but Smillie is a quality 3rd preference.

I wouldn't be upset if we reached for Lindsay with our next pick.

Couldn’t disagree with this anymore, Smith and O’Sullivan are a class above the rest of the midfielders in this draft

Neither are absolute perfect candidates though. FOS was injured this year but when he did play he was quite disappointing. You are picking on his junior body of work. Jagga is a favourite but there is still question marks over his impact and size. He should be an excellent player but he could be another Butters or could be more of a low hurt factor small mid who has to play rebound back or high HF.

We have changed staff unfortunately.

I'm warming to Smillie. The last player we drafted with a little figjam has turned out alright. Ideally would prefer Draper or Lalor to slide, but Smillie is a quality 3rd preference.

I wouldn't be upset if we reached for Lindsay with our next pick.
He has arguably the most upside in this draft. He has been dominant in most games he’s played especially early in the year before the illness. He is a beast.

I wouldn't mind grabbing Gross with our second rounder. Take Travaglia and Lindsay types in the first round if true mids are gone.

He has arguably the most upside in this draft. He has been dominant in most games he’s played especially early in the year before the illness. He is a beast.

To me him and Lalor have the most boom bust factor. They are either absolute bulls or absolute flops. Either could be the best of the draft but just as likely delisted after 4 years. Smillie's champs matches were abysmal. He looked disinterested at times.

To me him and Lalor have the most boom bust factor. They are either absolute bulls or absolute flops. Either could be the best of the draft but just as likely delisted after 4 years. Smillie's champs matches were abysmal. He looked disinterested at times.
Abysmal isn’t the word. He just wasn’t as prolific. Averaged 20 across the champs and still showed his elite traits and that was clearance work. If he wasn’t talked about as a potential number 1 people would be losing there minds on him and his upside if you look at purely what he’s done this year. And also what he can be in 5 years time. I don’t see bust at all with him purely because how good he is below his knees and his clearance work. Insanely powerful and has performed in the Australian games against senior opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back