2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't quite inserstand the split pick 8 school of thinking. Genuine question.

Why wouldn't we just take 7 & 8.
If it's star power that we are lacking, don't we have the best opportunity to take the best player at 8, rather than splitting that pick?

Unless it really is absolutely even from pick 8-20, it just sounds like we're doing our usual ploy of outsmarting ourselves.

Previous pick splits have not worked for us.

If it's star power that we are lacking, don't we have the best opportunity to take the best player at 8, rather than splitting that pick?

Unless it really is absolutely even from pick 8-20, it just sounds like we're doing our usual ploy of outsmarting ourselves.

Yeah, not keen

Coffield was pick 8 so nothing is guaranteed with an early pick.

I like the idea of holding both picks and see what offers come late on draft night for potential split picks. Also, if a club on draft night like North or Melb reach unexpectedly for a tall, would open up potential midfield options. Worst thing would be for the Saints to try for a short term fix ie. Houston

Lindsay is a likely top 5 based not only on outplaying most those ranked above him in the championships but because he is the best U18 kick, isn't slow and has only his PCL as a negative. Ignore the fact that in the plethora of almost identical lists he comes in close to or beyond our 2 slots, he's v unlikely to get to us unless we trade up.

Haven't seen many saying he'll go ahead of us to be honest. I think if anything he's probably expected to go between 10 and 15 from everything I've seen so far. He's a very good player but probably doesn't have as much X factor as some others in the front end. I think he's a pretty safe bet though.

I think the question mark is? That the main mids will possibly be gone by pick 7. So, depending on want we want. Three players in round 1 is better than two, maybe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excited Arrested Development GIF

Jagga Smith’s stats really do standout. Massive clearance and contested numbers.

Gee Hotton could be alright as a moderate injury risk.

Hotton's brother being injury prone hasn't helped me feel confident about him.

It’s genius but it’s definitely draft tampering. The saints were blocked in 2 deals of this nature. 1 with Gresham and Shiel. The other when we got crouch and were looking to include Webster and Dunstan in a deal to the crows for virtually nothing to secure band 1.
However the AFL let Brisbane and Essendon get away with blatant draft tampering with the Daniher deal so anything is possible.

Getting pick 8 has really opened our options.

7 & 8 sits bang in the middle of the action. We could trade down with WC to 3 to get a Jagga and 14 for a Lindsay for example: or

wait for live trading and see what falls out of the tree; or

just use 7 & 8.

We hold the whip hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back