2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I like that.

But will the AFL allow us to trade-out both a F1 and F2 in 2025?
Well hypothetically speaking. We would need to apply for dispensation to do so. But….

We would be taking 3 first rounders in 24’
We took 2 first rounders in 23’
We took 1 first rounder in 22’

That’s 6 first round picks in 3 years.

✅ ✅ you would assume at headquarters

They took 2 mids last year.

Windsor and Tholstrup.

Petracca and Oliver will be there next year.

Look at their list. It’s very hard to see them go past Armstrong.

He would represent a huge need and wouldn’t be a reach
We're going after mids with pick 5.

Our forwards stocks are JVR, Turner, Petty and Jefferson who's kicked nearly 60 goals at VFL level over the past two years. He'll play senior footy next year. This is on top of hopefully adding Wade Derksen over this off season.

Fair to say we'll pick off whoever is left from Draper, Lalor, FOS, Langford and Jagga.

Our forwards stocks are JVR, Turner, Petty and Jefferson who's kicked nearly 60 goals at VFL level over the past two years. He'll play senior footy next year. This is on top of hopefully adding Wade Derksen over this off season.

Fair to say we'll pick off whoever is left from Draper, Lalor, FOS, Langford and Jagga.
You very well might.

But based on the last week, Derksen who the Giants have said isn’t going anywhere?

Petty & Turner both look meh.

JVR holds down one forward spot.

And after 3 years in the system Jefferson has played a grand total of 0 games at AFL level.

Even North have better Key forward stocks 😂

Top 5 in 20m

Gabriel Stumpf 2.815
Leo Lombard 2.851
Rhys Unwin 2.914
Jasper Alger 2.931
Malakai Champion 2.938

Top 5 Worst
Noah Mraz 3.258
Alex Dodson 3.248
Logan Smith 3.247
Harvey Langford 3.240
Eoin McEvoy 3.240

State combine

Top 5
Lennox Hofmann 2.861
Blake Leidler 2.887
Jayden Nguyen 2.887
Oliver Hannaford 2.954
Mitch Kirkwood-Scott 2.969

Top 5 Worst
Jordan Doherty 3.287
Oliver Dean 3.277
Luke Quaynor 3.267
Charlie Orchard 3.213
Nathaniel Sulzberger 3.212

Which, if correct, leaves North to draft a tall with their pick (Tauru or Armstrong).

Leaves Saints with Smilie and Reid as the remaining players of the fancied mids.

Process of elimination.

I wonder if we would draft both with 7 & 8, or select one of them and a player like Travaglia?

Trading-in Essendon’s pick 9 would be handy.

Top 5 in 20m

Gabriel Stumpf 2.815
Leo Lombard 2.851
Rhys Unwin 2.914
Jasper Alger 2.931
Malakai Champion 2.938

Top 5 Worst
Noah Mraz 3.258
Alex Dodson 3.248
Logan Smith 3.247
Harvey Langford 3.240
Eoin McEvoy 3.240

State combine

Top 5
Lennox Hofmann 2.861
Blake Leidler 2.887
Jayden Nguyen 2.887
Oliver Hannaford 2.954

Top 5 Worst
Jordan Doherty 3.287
Oliver Dean 3.277
Luke Quaynor 3.267
Charlie Orchard 3.213
One particular person on this thread was arguing with me about Langford and Sulzberger being slow

Hard to argue now…

Also great to see Hofmann so high up. Enhanced his credentials as a Webster replacement

You very well might.

But based on the last week, Derksen who the Giants have said isn’t going anywhere?

Petty & Turner both look meh.

JVR holds down one forward spot.

And after 3 years in the system Jefferson has played a grand total of 0 games at AFL level.

Even North have better Key forward stocks 😂
Turner has the potential to be a good solid forward. Kicked 4 against Sam Collins in the second last game of the year.

Personally I just think the whole talk of needing a big key forward to win you games of footy is overrated. Collingwood won a grand final with Billy Frampton and Brody Mihocek as their main key forwards who did bugger all on the day.

The small to medium forwards is the flavour of the month.

Brisbane showed this year in the grand final having quality such as Kai Lohman, Raynor, Cameron and Ah Chee in the way they were able to score big.

Collingwood the previous year with Bobby Hill.

It's not our lack of key forwards the issues with Melbourne, it's the outdated game plan and boring ball movement is why we struggle to kick a big score.

The sooner Goodwin gets the sack the better.

Turner has the potential to be a good solid forward. Kicked 4 against Sam Collins in the second last game of the year.

Personally I just think the whole talk of needing a big key forward to win you games of footy is overrated. Collingwood won a grand final with Billy Frampton and Brody Mihocek as their main key forwards who did bugger all on the day.

The small to medium forwards is the flavour of the month.

Brisbane showed this year in the grand final having quality such as Kai Lohman, Raynor, Cameron and Ah Chee in the way they were able to score big.

Collingwood the previous year with Bobby Hill.

It's not our lack of key forwards the issues with Melbourne, it's the outdated game plan and boring ball movement is why we struggle to kick a big score.

The sooner Goodwin gets the sack the better.
I agree.

But people focus on key forwards on grandfinal day.

I’d argue their biggest impact are the other finals where the games are more suited to the bigger forwards.

Either way your list has need. But it can’t be overstated you lack an elite key forward and your hoping Petty shows some form that resembles 23 an unproven not yet debuted Jefferson and Turner because he had a good game against Collins.

I reckon he will very much be in your thoughts at pick 5

Top 5 in 20m

Gabriel Stumpf 2.815
Leo Lombard 2.851
Rhys Unwin 2.914
Jasper Alger 2.931
Malakai Champion 2.938

Top 5 Worst
Noah Mraz 3.258
Alex Dodson 3.248
Logan Smith 3.247
Harvey Langford 3.240
Eoin McEvoy 3.240

State combine

Top 5
Lennox Hofmann 2.861
Blake Leidler 2.887
Jayden Nguyen 2.887
Oliver Hannaford 2.954

Top 5 Worst
Jordan Doherty 3.287
Oliver Dean 3.277
Luke Quaynor 3.267
Charlie Orchard 3.213
Hoffman quick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 5 in 20m

Gabriel Stumpf 2.815
Leo Lombard 2.851
Rhys Unwin 2.914
Jasper Alger 2.931
Malakai Champion 2.938

Top 5 Worst
Noah Mraz 3.258
Alex Dodson 3.248
Logan Smith 3.247
Harvey Langford 3.240
Eoin McEvoy 3.240

State combine

Top 5
Lennox Hofmann 2.861
Blake Leidler 2.887
Jayden Nguyen 2.887
Oliver Hannaford 2.954

Top 5 Worst
Jordan Doherty 3.287
Oliver Dean 3.277
Luke Quaynor 3.267
Charlie Orchard 3.213
Hoffman second over all in the country. That’s pretty good

Top 5 in 20m

Gabriel Stumpf 2.815
Leo Lombard 2.851
Rhys Unwin 2.914
Jasper Alger 2.931
Malakai Champion 2.938

Top 5 Worst
Noah Mraz 3.258
Alex Dodson 3.248
Logan Smith 3.247
Harvey Langford 3.240
Eoin McEvoy 3.240

State combine

Top 5
Lennox Hofmann 2.861
Blake Leidler 2.887
Jayden Nguyen 2.887
Oliver Hannaford 2.954

Top 5 Worst
Jordan Doherty 3.287
Oliver Dean 3.277
Luke Quaynor 3.267
Charlie Orchard 3.213
Wow Langford second last behind the ruckman, I mean on the face of it that's not good however, it shows there is a lot of room for improvement with a solid strength and conditioning program. (having said that its 0.30 slower than the best so not super alarming) Despite a slower sprint he still dominates the midfield.

Good to see Hofman has some pace as well.

Top 5 in 20m

Gabriel Stumpf 2.815
Leo Lombard 2.851
Rhys Unwin 2.914
Jasper Alger 2.931
Malakai Champion 2.938

Top 5 Worst
Noah Mraz 3.258
Alex Dodson 3.248
Logan Smith 3.247
Harvey Langford 3.240
Eoin McEvoy 3.240

State combine

Top 5
Lennox Hofmann 2.861
Blake Leidler 2.887
Jayden Nguyen 2.887
Oliver Hannaford 2.954

Top 5 Worst
Jordan Doherty 3.287
Oliver Dean 3.277
Luke Quaynor 3.267
Charlie Orchard 3.213
I dont want to put too much stock on one test but that almost rules Langford out for us. We want speed and run which he seemingly doesnt have.

Because worries that Kako will be bid on before their pick 9. Both Melbourne and St Kilda floated as potential bidders before that point

So might as well trade into next year when they can actually use the pick rather than having it absorbed by a bid
I think they will look to trade up rather than out. Dees making noises about bidding on him is not accidental even though it would be a massive reach. Imagine they are proposing something like 5 + 48 + 53 for 9 + Ess F1. Ess get 5 + Kako instead of F1 + Kako. Dees slide back a few spots (maybe looking a player we're not into anyway) and get the Bombers' F1 in return, which could be a very tasty pick.

I dont want to put too much stock on one test but that almost rules Langford out for us. We want speed and run which he seemingly doesnt have.
Surely we aren't ruling a player out based on 0.425 of a second. If he anticipates the play, reads the ball and his opponent better it's not an issue. Plus in an AFL program he can work on his explosiveness. If he is in top 5 calculations with a slower time it probably says his strengths outweigh the negatives.

I think they will look to trade up rather than out. Dees making noises about bidding on him is not accidental even though it would be a massive reach. Imagine they are proposing something like 5 + 48 + 53 for 9 + Ess F1. Ess get 5 + Kako instead of F1 + Kako. Dees slide back a few spots (maybe looking a player we're not into anyway) and get the Bombers' F1 in return, which could be a very tasty pick.
That is probably the worst outcome for us. Any scenario where Essendon trade up (without us) means likely another mid gone before our two picks.

Disagree. The lack of leg speed is made up for by his ability to know when and when not to use his legs and run with the ball

Bontempelli is slow af but he also knows when and when not to run so you often see him take a few bounces and launch from 55m on the run coming out of a stoppage

I do think he’s not high on our preference list, but definitely silly to rule him out - we’ve known all year that he’s a slow sprinter so this hardly changes anything

He’s still among the top 6 mids in terms of suitability to us imo

Surely we aren't ruling a player out based on 0.425 of a second. If he anticipates the play, reads the ball and his opponent better it's not an issue. Plus in an AFL program he can work on his explosiveness. If he is in top 5 calculations with a slower time it probably says his strengths outweigh the negatives.
Simon Dalrymple did an interview earlier this year stating clubs now draft for specific traits that clubs want rather than perceived 'best avaliable talent'.

We've been vocal about wanting elite runners and speed so a player who lacks in that department is less likely to be high on our draft list.

Disagree. The lack of leg speed is made up for by his ability to know when and when not to use his legs and run with the ball

Bontempelli is slow af but he also knows when and when not to run so you often see him take a few bounces and launch from 55m on the run coming out of a stoppage

I do think he’s not high on our preference list, but definitely silly to rule him out - we’ve known all year that he’s a slow sprinter so this hardly changes anything

He’s still among the top 6 mids in terms of suitability to us imo
I'm sure he's a good player but given how even the top part of this draft is, a mid without speed is likely to not be our preferred choice.

I'm sure he's a good player but given how even the top part of this draft is, a mid without speed is likely to not be our preferred choice.
Travaglia is the only genuinely fast & explosive player who’d be available after Langford, and I think the general consensus would be Langford > Travaglia

So hopefully we can do a Leake/Wilson to slide back a spot or two and take Travaglia while also gaining an extra second rounder

Melbourne may not want to do that. There will probably be a player at 5 that they want and they won’t want to forgo the opportunity of drafting that player by trading-down.

The same with all the other clubs before us in the draft.

North might bite, but Richmond will have multiple early picks this year that will trump Essendon’s future first.

Bombers may not have a choice other than to deal with us.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back