2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

People still writing Hoffman over Hofmann despite the correct spelling being right there is mind-blowing

Reminds me of filipoh and sh03nm4k3r
People still writing Hoffman over Hofmann despite the correct spelling being right there is mind-blowing

Reminds me of filipoh and sh03nm4k3r
Houghman

I don't like the thought of taking a winger in the top 10. Wingers are role players and can be found late in drafts or on the scrap heap - Wood pick 41/DFA, Hill pick 33. None of the league's best wingers were early picks; Gulden p32, Daicos p57, D'Ambrosio mid-season pick. Unless we see Lindsay as an inside mid going forward, Id pass

Plus, we have Byrnes and Wilson who look like long-term wingers. Liam O'Connell potentially as a Wood replacement. Curtis Taylor under consideration. Plenty of options

Would MUCH prefer Travaglia
The only time he played on a wing was the 4 x championship games, otherwise he spent his entire career playing as a mid.

Last edited:
Top 5 in 20m

Gabriel Stumpf 2.815
Leo Lombard 2.851
Rhys Unwin 2.914
Jasper Alger 2.931
Malakai Champion 2.938

Top 5 Worst
Noah Mraz 3.258
Alex Dodson 3.248
Logan Smith 3.247
Harvey Langford 3.240
Eoin McEvoy 3.240

State combine

Top 5
Lennox Hofmann 2.861
Blake Leidler 2.887
Jayden Nguyen 2.887
Oliver Hannaford 2.954
Mitch Kirkwood-Scott 2.969

Top 5 Worst
Jordan Doherty 3.287
Oliver Dean 3.277
Luke Quaynor 3.267
Charlie Orchard 3.213
Nathaniel Sulzberger 3.212
Wow!!!! Langford, but then Hofffffman. No idea he had that speed.

I think they will look to trade up rather than out. Dees making noises about bidding on him is not accidental even though it would be a massive reach. Imagine they are proposing something like 5 + 48 + 53 for 9 + Ess F1. Ess get 5 + Kako instead of F1 + Kako. Dees slide back a few spots (maybe looking a player we're not into anyway) and get the Bombers' F1 in return, which could be a very tasty pick.
Kako looks a beauty. Very lucky given they’ve hit the sweet spot of the rules - post the top 20 and before the points changes come in. They have another good small forward NGA next year too.

Those up and back smalls with wayyy too much arrogance are so valuable nowadays. The team that has him will love him. Everyone else will think he’s a total fl*g.

Less a need than mids or even a tall back, but you could do worse. Gee I hope Collard can do that for us.

So he's grown 2cm since the start of the year. Now the same height as Battle

Very similar player, much higher upside imo

Wouldn't be mad at all if we essentially trade out Battle for Tauru

Out of all the teams with top 10 picks I suspect North and us would mostly be into this guy. Either North trade down with us or we take him ourselves. It’s a win either way.

F2 for a F3 + Soldo
On trade that pick for Macrae?

So F2 gets both Soldo & Macrae?

Call me selfish, but we need to keep an F2 for flexibility.

We're going after mids with pick 5.

Our forwards stocks are JVR, Turner, Petty and Jefferson who's kicked nearly 60 goals at VFL level over the past two years. He'll play senior footy next year. This is on top of hopefully adding Wade Derksen over this off season.

Fair to say we'll pick off whoever is left from Draper, Lalor, FOS, Langford and Jagga.

Bloody Melbourne, had one real chance, took it. Now back to being a basket case taking the players we want with early draft picks.

Would we trade 7 and 8 for 2 and 25?
This is something GWS have historically done and in the process acquired Kelly, Ash, Cadman and Callaghan.

We could then bundle 25 and 27 (1459 points) for GC’s pick 13 (1212 points).

Ends up being picks 7, 8 and 27 for 2 and 13.

Use 43 and a future 3rd for Soldo and Macrae.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would we trade 7 and 8 for 2 and 25?
This is something GWS have historically done and in the process acquired Kelly, Ash, Cadman and Callaghan.

We could then bundle 25 and 27 (1459 points) for GC’s pick 13 (1212 points).

Ends up being picks 7, 8 and 27 for 2 and 13.

Use 43 and a future 3rd for Soldo and Macrae.
No. We want 4 picks inside 40

Travaglia fast??

Travaglia 3.186
Line-breaker and takes metres with his legs in-game. I wouldn't trust that number, the measuring is prone to uncertainties. I think the 20m sprint numbers should be used more to confirm perspectives rather than to contradict them if that makes sense but idk, I'm just skeptical bc of uncertainties. Maybe its correct and I'm delusional

Watch the below highlights and you'll see what I mean

Line-breaker and takes metres with his legs in-game. I wouldn't trust that number, the measuring is prone to uncertainties. I think the 20m sprint numbers should be used more to confirm perspectives rather than to contradict them if that makes sense but idk, I'm just skeptical bc of uncertainties. Maybe its correct and I'm delusional

This kid really does not excite me at all. Granted I’ve only watched footage and what I’ve seen is that he is a very good tackler and competes well but is an average kick and ok Footy IQ. I don’t see the appeal

I like him. His stats read like he could transition to the midfield but he looks like a natural behind the ball type. The big question amongst recruiters will be can he transition to the midfield or are we content to select a very good half backman. I’m favouring getting a more natural midfielder.

This kid really does not excite me at all. Granted I’ve only watched footage and what I’ve seen is that he is a very good tackler and competes well but is an average kick and ok Footy IQ. I don’t see the appeal
It's how his attributes could transfer into the midfield that excites people and I'd imagine recruiters

Compare him to Will Day

Day started at half back. Good player, competitive, solid kick but not outstanding. Intercepted well and strong in the air. Travaglia literally a copy of this

Imo one of the most important traits for playing midfield is competitiveness, and you said it yourself that he "competes well". If he can be aggressive, win contested ball, then burst out of the front of a stoppage, his average kick is almost automatically neutralised because he'll be free of pressure and will have time to assess his options and execute the skill

Compare that to someone like Lindsay. Don't get me wrong, also a fantastic prospect and wouldn't be mad if we took him, but at 183cm without outstanding breakaway speed, he'll probably be restricted to being a pure clearance/contest player in the mould of Windy (with better skills). But, if you look at his stats in the Champs, his contested/uncontested possession ratio is 23/45 which isn't ideal for an 'inside mid'/wing so what exactly will help him stand out in the midfield at AFL level? I have worries he ends up as a Dylan Stephens-type winger (32/64 split) - both 183cm

He is an intecepting half back .... and from those highlights there were a lot of longbombs down the line .... he shouldnt be picked in the Top 10 ..... and that 50 in the end 🫣 ... cost them the game

It's how his attributes could transfer into the midfield that excites people and I'd imagine recruiters

Compare him to Will Day

Day started at half back. Good player, competitive, solid kick but not outstanding. Intercepted well and strong in the air. Travaglia literally a copy of this

Imo one of the most important traits for playing midfield is competitiveness, and you said it yourself that he "competes well". If he can be aggressive, win contested ball, then burst out of the front of a stoppage, his average kick is almost automatically neutralised because he'll be free of pressure and will have time to assess his options and execute the skill

Compare that to someone like Lindsay. Don't get me wrong, also a fantastic prospect and wouldn't be mad if we took him, but at 183cm without outstanding breakaway speed, he'll probably be restricted to being a pure clearance/contest player in the mould of Windy (with better skills). But, if you look at his stats in the Champs, his contested/uncontested possession ratio is 23/45 which isn't ideal for an 'inside mid'/wing so what exactly will help him stand out in the midfield at AFL level? I have worries he ends up as a Dylan Stephens-type winger (32/64 split) - both 183cm
Lindsay will be a better player than Travaglia

Better skilled ..... faster ..... plays midfield

Stephens is purely outside .... Lindsay won the Morrish medal playing as a mid for Gippsland and has a contested game ..... then was BOG in the Vic Metro v Country match

Lindsay will be a better player than Travaglia

Better skilled ..... faster ..... plays midfield

Stephens is purely outside .... Lindsay won the Morrish medal playing as a mid for Gippsland and has a contested game ..... then was BOG in the Vic Metro v Country match
Read this and tell me Stephens was purely outside...

Literally almost the exact same situation

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back