2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's how his attributes could transfer into the midfield that excites people and I'd imagine recruiters

Compare him to Will Day

Day started at half back. Good player, competitive, solid kick but not outstanding. Intercepted well and strong in the air. Travaglia literally a copy of this

Imo one of the most important traits for playing midfield is competitiveness, and you said it yourself that he "competes well". If he can be aggressive, win contested ball, then burst out of the front of a stoppage, his average kick is almost automatically neutralised because he'll be free of pressure and will have time to assess his options and execute the skill

Compare that to someone like Lindsay. Don't get me wrong, also a fantastic prospect and wouldn't be mad if we took him, but at 183cm without outstanding breakaway speed, he'll probably be restricted to being a pure clearance/contest player in the mould of Windy (with better skills). But, if you look at his stats in the Champs, his contested/uncontested possession ratio is 23/45 which isn't ideal for an 'inside mid'/wing so what exactly will help him stand out in the midfield at AFL level? I have worries he ends up as a Dylan Stephens-type winger (32/64 split) - both 183cm
I see the main attributes in a midfielder differently( actually as an AFL footballer in general).

3 key attributes are contested, kicking and decision making. If you’re not elite 2 of those 3 attributes you won’t make it

Reading that Stephens profile it clearly says he is outside and needed to improve his inside contested work .... also hasn't helped that is probably still 69kg 🤣

Think you will find Lindsay's contested work is a step above Stephen's at the same age
I literally gave you stats to highlight their contested/uncontested possession splits are almost identical but nah ignore them i guess

I literally gave you stats to highlight their contested/uncontested possession splits are almost identical but nah ignore them i guess
Also Lindsay didnt exactly play as a full time mid during the Championship games .... though he did moreso playing for Gippsland winning the Morrish Medal

That said he still racked up 30 in the Championship game

Last edited:
I guess we will agree to disagree ;)

But seriously no more half backs that .... might?? .... transition to midfield
From what I can tell, Travaglia did play most of the season in the NAB league as a midfielder with a contested/uncontested ratio of close to 1:1.

Did play at half back in the championships though.

True he did ...similar stats to Lindsay as well across the same amount of games except the kicking to handball ratio were very different .... more kicks to Lindsay whereas Travglia was more handball happy

Morrish Medal voting had Lindsay 21 and Travgalia at 13 .... so Lindsay more impact? or was it just because Gippsland won more games than Bendigo hence more vote polling?

True he did ...similar stats to Lindsay as well across the same amount of games except the kicking to handball ratio were very different .... more kicks to Lindsay whereas Travglia was more handball happy

Morrish Medal voting had Lindsay 21 and Travgalia at 13 .... so Lindsay more impact? or was it just because Gippsland won more games than Bendigo hence more vote polling?
I can't figure why Lindsay isn't higher up the order. All l can think of is theres no single outstanding attribute that people can latch on to, but l think that's more to do with him being a very rounded package. Unless magically Draper and Smillie are both there, l won't be happy if we pass on him.

I can't figure why Lindsay isn't higher up the order. All l can think of is theres no single outstanding attribute that people can latch on to, but l think that's more to do with him being a very rounded package. Unless magically Draper and Smillie are both there, l won't be happy if we pass on him.
I’ve not watched heaps of footage, so take with salt and I know bugger all about anything football, but what I saw he fumbled so many ground balls.
Has anyone else noticed this from Lindsay? Am I off the mark?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve not watched heaps of footage, so take with salt and I know bugger all about anything football, but what I saw he fumbled so many ground balls.
Has anyone else noticed this from Lindsay? Am I off the mark?
Haven't noticed that at all, but it's common for kids and generally goes away with strenght and maturity. I specifically watch for execution under pressure as it's the best indicator of psychology and is why l'm so negative in Reid. Lindsay is almost metronomic in that regard (IMO), has great acceleration, agility, awareness, vision and outstanding kicking. He's a pro, but lacks size and X factor.
Physically he's fast twitch muscled which is the other thing l look for, and also the other reason l don't like Reid.
That means he'll get faster as he bulks up. You've only got to look at Hunter to see what happens when you gain bulk with slow twitch muscling.
Anyway, Lindsey just ticks all the boxes for me. I'm not speculating on who's the potential hidden superstar and l reckon thats just 100% luck anyway. Billings - Bont, Caldwell - Butters, etc.

A bit of discussion on the draft trade and FA board North are looking to trade down from 2 for our top 10 picks. I realise it’s not a popular view on here but I’d 100% consider this as long as we get their second rounder too. Similar points and gives us one of the absolute elite in the draft. It appears there is a divide between the top 3-4 and the next rung.

A bit of discussion on the draft trade and FA board North are looking to trade down from 2 for our top 10 picks. I realise it’s not a popular view on here but I’d 100% consider this as long as we get their second rounder too. Similar points and gives us one of the absolute elite in the draft. It appears there is a divide between the top 3-4 and the next rung.
I tend to agree. But I don't think we will be from Tony74 and Stav word seems like we will hold 7 & 8 and look to (if we can) add Pick 9 from Essendon.

We are probably looking at

7 - Smillie or Langford
8 - Reid or Lindsay
9(if we get it) - Travaglia/Tauru/Trainor

My picks would be

7 - Josh Smillie
8 - Murphy Reid
9 - Luke Trainor

I know we have been burnt before by Paddy Mccartin but I'm ready to get hurt again haha. The kid has serious serious talent and at Pick 9 I think he doesn't drift further than that. Plenty of players have a concussion or two and it doesn't haunt them for the rest of their careers.

the only player I could see us trading up for is Sam Lalor. He has all the attributes of being a superstar. Otherwise it doesn’t make sense when we will get one of the top midfielders at 7 and if a tall goes before us wel get definitely 2 in the top bracket. Watch for Lindsay being a Smokey with one of our picks.

I think the issue is that we could all debate over who we would trade up for and someone will get through. I’d potentially move up to ,say, 5 but otherwise it just consumes too much capital in the most even top 10 I can recall.

Alix Tauru ... blonde bomber .... got a a bit of Roo about him dare I say it .... and is a fantastic one grab mark

Can play forward and back.... I wouldn't say no

His strengths almost exactly match Ross Lyon's game intercepting game plan. Graceful, powerful hands. I wouldn't mind watching him for 10 years if he plays like that.

the only player I could see us trading up for is Sam Lalor. He has all the attributes of being a superstar. Otherwise it doesn’t make sense when we will get one of the top midfielders at 7 and if a tall goes before us wel get definitely 2 in the top bracket. Watch for Lindsay being a Smokey with one of our picks.
Lindsay does look very neat. What’s his inside game like? Might be the only thing holding him back from becoming a top midfielder.

Lindsay does look very neat. What’s his inside game like? Might be the only thing holding him back from becoming a top midfielder.
Once he bulks up he will be fine. Tackles hard attacks the footy hard and has good speed around the contest with hands and feet. Has had huge games with clearance numbers in his year for gippy playing centre square mid

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back