2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

the doc's said paddy was right to go and he wasn't anymore susceptible, which any idiot could see was total BS, he'd get a love tap and be out for 3 weeks.. hard to trust docs after that debacle
If we'd done that we'd have been absolutely raked over the coals. The fact that Sydney were allowed to have him on their list at all was ridiculous.

Know alot of fans want mids in this draft, but with Hayes & Membrey likely? to leave, do we need more forward depth now.
Or do Caminiti & Keeler suffice, alongside King & Sharman.
For down back, our interest in Laverde & Tomlinson seems to have ebated, so do we need to draft a kid.
Armstrong & Tauru tested well at the combine & are seen as possible top ten's.
Would picking them at 7 & 8, be such a bad thing, best available & all.
You forgot to mention our saviour Zaine Cordy

Don't tease me.

Melbourne could definitely go for Armstrong if it's a pure need pick - depends on what the Dees want to do. Top 5 is usually a best available pick rather than a list needs pick, so it would be a big call to pick Armstrong at 5.

Also if they're in the mix for Pick 11 from Freo it seems more likely they'll go for a mid at 5 and Armstrong at 11
Seems Dees are in a mess and seems their mid stocks want out.
With talk Oliver going this year or Petracca next year.

Dees will draft a mid.

Just on Smillie ... I posted a month or so back that a person I know who has close links with the Coates League told me that he has a bit of a FIGJAM rep and there were a few ?? around his work rate.

He is a bit of a classic man child in that his bigger body has meant he could easily impose himself on some of these smaller kids at a Coates League level but then he struggled to do the same against more quality line ups in the Champs ... all of a sudden there were a lot more others that were just prepared to work harder for longer at that higher level of football .... or maybe he was .. under weather?

As we know the mental side of the game is paramount for any kid to make it in the big league .... you might be better skilled and bigger bodied but if you aren't prepared to work hard enough for long enough or just don't have the mental fortitude to fight on and keep up then .... you are going to get left behind pretty quickly

I don't know Smillie and I haven't seen enough of him live but there seems to be some ??s around his mental attitude ..... is he a classic case of a big fish in a small pond at youth levels?

Because he is about get thrown into a lot larger pond with a lot larger fish ...and if you don't have the hunger, the attitude and the ability to really really crack in .... you are gunna get devoured

Is it true that RTB interviewed him personally?

Very interesting if so .... maybe he DE-FIGJAMMED him :oops:

If we need fatten our draft hand to
1. Pick up Hoffman, Peckett, Cole
2. Sweeten the deal with ESS #9

Couldn’t we trade F2 to either GWS or GC as they have a loaded draft haul and both need points for next year to pick up their academy kids.

Just on Smillie ... I posted a month or so back that a person I know who has close links with the Coates League told me that he has a bit of a FIGJAM rep and there were a few ?? around his work rate.

He is a bit of a classic man child in that his bigger body has meant he could easily impose himself on some of these smaller kids at a Coates League level but then he struggled to do the same against more quality line ups in the Champs ... all of a sudden there were a lot more others that were just prepared to work harder for longer at that higher level of football .... or maybe he was .. under weather?

As we know the mental side of the game is paramount for any kid to make it in the big league .... you might be better skilled and bigger bodied but if you aren't prepared to work hard enough for long enough or just don't have the mental fortitude to fight on and keep up then .... you are going to get left behind pretty quickly

I don't know Smillie and I haven't seen enough of him live but there seems to be some ??s around his mental attitude ..... is he a classic case of a big fish in a small pond at youth levels?

Because he is about get thrown into a lot larger pond with a lot larger fish ...and if you don't have the hunger, the attitude and the ability to really really crack in .... you are gunna get devoured

Is it true that RTB interviewed him personally?

Very interesting if so .... maybe he DE-FIGJAMMED him :oops:
There was mention on Smille on just this in an article after the nationals.
He couldn’t use his size like he normally can and went missing in the games. As you’re saying his mental side of the game might still need to be developed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rumours from the weekend are that North absolutely love Tauru.

I reckon they trade down to 6.

1. Fos Richmond
2. Lalor Richmond
3. Jagga Eagles
4. Draper crows
5. Langford/Armstrong Dees
6. Tauru North
7. Smillie Saints.
I can see Tigers going for FOS, but reckon they'll take Jagga over Lalor, and I can see Eagles taking Lalor, if they don't and the Dees are still at pick 5, they'll pick Lalor over a tall, they can't afford to rely on Oliver or Petracca going forward.

Think you might be on the money otherwise.

There was mention on Smille on just this in an article after the nationals.
He couldn’t use his size like he normally can and went missing in the games. As you’re saying his mental side of the game might still need to be developed.
Just trying to reason why he struggled in the Championships .... doesn't look like he plays with crazy manic energy and bounce from stoppage to stoppage ..... its like once the pressure and speed of the game ramps and becomes super competitive (like you probably get in the Champ games compared to Coates League or AFL games compared to VFL) then he struggles.

There is no rest in todays football ... mids always have to be on the move ... lots of repeat sprints .... lots of stoppage to stoppage to stoppage .... you just can't switch off mentally and rely on your body size and skills

Is it harder to develop physical skills or mental skills?

Clubs, particularly Saint Kilda, will be spooked by Trainor’s concussion, he could experience Arie levels of sliding 😖
Arie's a moron, heard info recently I wont mention, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it purely from off field stuff, also he's slow and doesn't defend. Sorry to put a dampener on the arie train but im tempering expectations. I guess both their issues are above their shoulders

I can see Tigers going for FOS, but reckon they'll take Jagga over Lalor, and I can see Eagles taking Lalor, if they don't and the Dees are still at pick 5, they'll pick Lalor over a tall, they can't afford to rely on Oliver or Petracca going forward.

Think you might be on the money otherwise.
I think I am leaning towards Stav's thinking

FOS is the best player (injuries didn't see him at his best this year) but he ticks all boxes

If Tigers get 2 as well I reckon they go a bigger body ... Lalor gives off Dusty vibes who is fresh in the mind of Richmond ... POD to FOS .... also Langford could be considered and word is they like him ... I think they would go Laor but if they don't get pick 2 and stay with pick 6 then Langford comes into play at that pick

West Coast at pick 3 ... its Jagga here for me ....... apparently good friends with Harley Reid and he is a POD to him ... they would compliment each other nicely ... Lalor is probably too much like Harley so they may want a different type

Draper goes to Adelaide though WC might consider him

North look locked into Tauru by all accounts so the idea of dropping back for pick 6 and another decent pick for pick 2 makes sense ... unless of course Melbourne grab Tauru at 5 ... so a little risk there

Melbourne .... who the fk knows .... probably mid but could be tall ... hopefully tall which leaves us whatever mids are left

Langford / Smillie / Reid / Lindsay / Travaglia and whoever else

I doubt FOS / Lalor / Jagga / Draper fall to us

Arie's a moron, heard info recently I wont mention, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it purely from off field stuff, also he's slow and doesn't defend. Sorry to put a dampener on the arie train but im tempering expectations. I guess both their issues are above their shoulders
Some kids just can't be saved from themselves

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back