4-blues: Sid Draper
5-crows: fin O'Sullivan
6-Dees: Harvey Langford
7-tigers: Jagga smith
8-suns: Leo Lombard
9-dons: Isaac Kako
10-saints: Josh smillie
11-saints: taj hotton

Roos are mugs if they take Tauru at 3 instead of trading down with Dees, us or Tigers. They must know that no one else in the top 10 is going to pick a key possie player.

I think we can lock in one of: Jagga Langford or Smillie.

Then we either slide 8 back if there aren’t 2 sliders.

Or we take best of: Armstrong Reid Travaglia Lindsay

Out of that group.

It’s Reid or Travaglia for me.

Reid probably offers something we don’t have.

That high half forward Mid who can connect with abit of creativity. Like a Robbie Gray

So if
1-tigers: Sam lalor
2-lions: Levi Ashcroft
3-Roos: Jagga smith
4-blues: fin O'Sullivan
5-crows: Sid Draper
7-tigers: josh Smillie
10-saints:
11-saints:

Who do we take?

Out of that group.

That high half forward Mid who can connect with abit of creativity. Like a Robbie Gray

Welcome back buddy! Sad to not have you around for the deadline drama.

Was just thinking the sane thing about the slider at 7.

Excluding bids for LA and LL, and assuming the Roos swap with Tigers (most likely trade partner imo) the top 6 picks may be:

Tigers FOS
Tigers Langford / Smith
Carlton Lalor
Adelaide Draper
Melbourne Langford / Smilie
North Tauru

We just take whoever is left out of Smilie, Langford or Smith. Any of those will make us happy I reckon, and any of the others could slide too. It's a great spot to be in really.

Pick 8 is an interesting one. It'll depend on who we pick at 7 obviously. Reid is a bold choice, what do you think about the opinion other posters have shared about Reid and Smilie or Langford being too one paced? Would Lindsay be a reach at 8? If we split 8 what are the chances we could get Hynes and Lindsay? They'd be my preferences for the Best of the Rest of the midfielders.

Will we pick someone ready for round 1 if we pick Smilie at 7? Who fits that description?

I don't think we split the picks as we don't have that many spots, I could see us trying to turn 7 into a top 4 pick with our f1, especially if Richmond get North's pick 2

Last edited:
So if
1-tigers: Sam lalor
2-lions: Levi Ashcroft
3-Roos: Jagga smith
4-blues: fin O'Sullivan
5-crows: Sid Draper
7-tigers: josh Smillie
10-saints:
11-saints:

Who do we take?
Tauru and then try to slide back for Hannaford and Hynes. If we can’t travaglia or Lindsay.

Welcome back buddy! Sad to not have you around for the deadline drama.

Was just thinking the sane thing about the slider at 7.

Excluding bids for LA and LL, and assuming the Roos swap with Tigers (most likely trade partner imo) the top 6 picks may be:

Tigers FOS
Tigers Langford / Smith
Carlton Lalor
Adelaide Draper
Melbourne Langford / Smilie
North Tauru

We just take whoever is left out of Smilie, Langford or Smith. Any of those will make us happy I reckon, and any of the others could slide too. It's a great spot to be in really.

Pick 8 is an interesting one. It'll depend on who we pick at 7 obviously. Reid is a bold choice, what do you think about the opinion other posters have shared about Reid and Smilie or Langford being too one paced? Would Lindsay be a reach at 8? If we split 8 what are the chances we could get Hynes and Lindsay? They'd be my preferences for the Best of the Rest of the midfielders.

Will we pick someone ready for round 1 if we pick Smilie at 7? Who fits that description?

I don't think we split the picks as we don't have that many spots, I could see us trying to turn 7 into a top 4 pick with our f1, especially if Richmond get North's pick 2
To be honest.

Bar Draper none of those top 7 look like they have gears they can go between when it comes to “pace”.

I’ll even argue outside of Draper. None of those mids are the type to CONSISTENTLY EXIT front of stoppage.

FOS will go one because he will get 20 touches and hurt you with 17.

Jagga just doesn’t hurt for the amount of disposals he gets. His first instinct is to go back or sideways. He is however the best in class ball pig with a massive engine that will let him play 85% on ball.

Langford is slow and lacks athleticism. But is a tall mid who can accumulate as good as anyone. Shown he can play inside outside and go forward and kick goals.

Smillie is your ultimate boom or bust prospect. Phenomenal numbers (like the rest) 195 cm. Kicks goals. But is there a mentality issue? Is the size a benefit at the current level or has he not yet learned how to use it?

And then Reid.

The reason he could go top 5 or top 15 is because he doesn’t have the athletic traits. But shit happens when he is around the ball. He kicks goals. Goal assists. Big midfield numbers.

Edited to add. I FORGOT LALOR.

He can exit stoppage. But like gringo. I’m not sure he is a pure mid or a mid first.

Out of that group.

I think this is where I have landed also. Any issues for you in taking both Langford and Smillie if they slide?

I think this is where I have landed also. Any issues for you in taking both Langford and Smillie if they slide?
No.

I don’t worry to much about similar styles at 7 or 8.

Take Best available. Develop. It will work out.

Remember Steele isn’t getting younger. If in the event both landed with us. That’s your inside midfield set up with FORWARD 50 Threat for 10-15 years.

I’m not his biggest fan. But I’ve grown an appreciation of him. Look at what I’m seeing

• look at where his bulk possessions are. In between arcs and through the centre
  • cleanliness of hands + he times his release of a handball so that it closes his space but releases a team mate.
  • He tries to go forward first. But keeps the ball in motion every time. He doesn’t take the rhythm or speed out of the game.
  • look at the speed of thought or ability to create scoring opportunities in contested situations.
  • Not a bull or a speed player. Yet adequate in contest. Hit up option throughout transition - back of square exiting D50, midfield transition and forward of centre.
  • hasn’t moved past a contest or waited for a soft touch. Happy to win clearance.

Last edited:
I’m not his biggest fan. But I’ve grown an appreciation of him. Look at what I’m seeing

• look at where his bulk possessions are. In between arcs and through the centre
  • cleanliness of hands + he times his release of a handball so that it closes his space but releases a team mate.
  • He tries to go forward first. But keeps the ball in motion every time. He doesn’t take the rhythm or speed out of the game.
  • look at the speed of thought or ability to create scoring opportunities in contested situations.
  • Not a bull or a speed player. Yet adequate in contest. Hit up option throughout transition - back of square exiting D50, midfield transition and forward of centre.
  • hasn’t moved past a contest or waited for a soft touch. Happy to win clearance.

No one can watch that and not think he won’t be a star

Got a bit of nicky dal about him

Welcome to the dark side brother.
I absolutely love how he plays footy and reckon he could come in and impact straight away on our side

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eyes in the back of his head, doesn't go to ground, makes the right decision every time, late release of handball is a pretty great skill to have. Zero issue with taking him, especially if we can trade down from 8 to 15/16 and he is still available.

Welcome to the dark side brother.
I absolutely love how he plays footy and reckon he could come in and impact straight away on our side

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Eyes in the back of his head, doesn't go to ground, makes the right decision every time, late release of handball is a pretty great skill to have. Zero issue with taking him, especially if we can trade down from 8 to 15/16 and he is still available.
I don’t know if he will be there at those picks.

All I’m saying is I wouldn’t be upset at 8 if his name was called out.

However post trade period. I’d wait until draft night and if the draft pans out how we believe it will on this board. I’m trading 8+32 maybe a F2 on draft night for 15+16+ 21.

I think we will sort our 2 list deficiencies out.

15 - ?
16 - Trainor
21 - Dodson

However post trade period. I’d wait until draft night and if the draft pans out how we believe it will on this board. I’m trading 8+32 maybe a F2 on draft night for 15+16+ 21.

15 - ?
16 - Trainor
21 - Dodson
Oh I like this... surely it's too big of a price to pay for GWS. If I get time, I'm going to look over their list spaces and draft picks and see if they can trade up.

15 - ?
16 - Trainor
21 - Dodson
Love that. This would be the Dream scenario for me. Jagga, 15,16, 21

Draft wish list, find the picks and create list positions Sainters.

2 x Balanced Midfielders
1 x Intercepting Key Defender
1 x Small Forward
1 x Mobile Ruckman/Tall Forward

Strong Possibilities:

Smillie, Allan, Reid, Hotton, Lindsay (any of the top mids as a slider will be our first pick Smillie most likely)
Trainor, Barratt, Nicholls, Mraz, OFarrell
Berry, Hannaford, Moraes, Alger, Unwin
Dodson, Simms, Gerryn, Whitlock twins

As possible additions any of Armstrong, Shanahan, Tauru, Hynes, Travaglia, Dattoli, Faull, Urquhart would be great! I know I'm dreaming...

A perfect result would be Cole, Hofmann & Peckett all get through as rookies.
A few corrections:

Moraes is a winger
Unwin is a mid
Nicholls is a key forward, not an intercept defender

Sims*
Gerreyn*
Barrat*

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back