2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Not sure I would be too happy if FOS / Lalor / Jagga / Draper / Smillie / Langford all go before our pick 7

Pick 1 Richmond - FOS / Lalor / Jagga
Pick 2 North/Richmond - FOS / Lalor / Jagga
Pick 3 Carlton - FOS / Lalor / Jagga / Draper
Pick 4 Adelaide - FOS / Lalor / Jagga / Draper
Pick 5 Melbourne - Smillie or Langford
Pick 6 - North/Richmond - Smillie or Langford

Leaves us with a possible combo of Reid / Lindsay / Travaglia / a KPP ..... and no bigger bodied pure mid available unless we reach for a Hynes / Ough / Gross / Allen

Every chance the teams before us just choose mids .... and leave the KPPs for later

If that happens then we split 8. Unless we love someone outside of that top 7 group.

Tauru would be there. Travaglia would be there. Armstrong would be there.

Live offers will come for pick 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think my preference of the "top group" of mids goes something like this:

1-O'Sullivan
2-Lalor
3-Langford
4-Draper
5-smith
6-smillie
7-Reid

Imo the top 5 are very even, I don't think I want Reid, would prefer hotton or Lindsay. I also think Langford is a fair better prospect then smillie.

I still think North could really benefit from picking a big bodied midfielder like Josh Smillie, so I’m anticipating he will be gone by the time we are on the clock.

My October Top 10 prediction

1. FOS - Tigers
2. Ashcroft - Lions - North bid
3. Jagga - Tigers pick swap
4. Lalor - Blues
5. Draper - Crows
6. Langford - Demons
7. Smillie - North
8. Lindsay - Saints
9. Kako - Dons - Saints bid
10. Reid - Saints

We'll be getting at least one mid, but there's a world in which we use the other on a Tauru if he's deemed best available. Still have to take the best available player.

The one I'm watching with interest is Lindsay. Wonder if some clubs see him in the top bracket of mids?
Tauru would be a great get. Looks like Roo, marks overhead like Roo, athletic and mobile for his size like Roo, but unfortunately Norf are keen on him and need some taller types, which would be just like the roos to pinch him.

Last edited:
Think my preference of the "top group" of mids goes something like this:

1-O'Sullivan
2-Lalor
3-Langford
4-Draper
5-smith
6-smillie
7-Reid

Imo the top 5 are very even, I don't think I want Reid, would prefer hotton or Lindsay. I also think Langford is a fair better prospect then smillie.
That looks spot on, unfortunately. I was hoping one of your top 6 would slide to us. Party pooper!

I still think North could really benefit from picking a big bodied midfielder like Josh Smillie, so I’m anticipating he will be gone by the time we are on the clock.

My October Top 10 prediction

1. FOS - Tigers
2. Ashcroft - Lions - North bid
3. Jagga - Tigers pick swap
4. Lalor - Blues
5. Draper - Crows
6. Langford - Demons
7. Smillie - North
8. Lindsay - Saints
9. Kako - Dons - Saints bid
10. Reid - Saints
If only Missy had not got that final goal against the Blues life would be so much easier.

Tauru would be a great get. Looks like Roo, marks overhead like Roo, athletic and mobile for his size like Roo, but unfortunately Norf are keen on him and need some taller types, which would be just like the roos to pinch him.

What does North do if they don’t do a pick swap?

Do they reach for Tauru at pick 2? Or pick a big bodied mid?

If Tigers don’t do a pick swap with North for pick 2 then we might be able to have a crack at it. Assuming we want to. And if we do, could we protect pick 7 as part of any deal?

North won’t have many feasible options to trade-down other than with Tigers and Saints.

It will be a fascinating watch.

So if
1-tigers: Sam lalor
2-lions: Levi Ashcroft
3-Roos: Jagga smith
4-blues: fin O'Sullivan
5-crows: Sid Draper
6-Dees: Harvey Langford
7-tigers: josh Smillie
8-suns: Leo Lombard
9-dons: Isaac Kako
10-saints:
11-saints:

Who do we take?
It's likely Harry Armstrong or Alix Tauru will be in the mix before our picks, but in the unlikely event we are met with this we would look at what offers are available to slide, then if no trades tempts us we may take the next best mids in Taj Hotton and Murphy Reid or look at Bo Allan or even Xavier Lindsay. With any luck we shouldn't find ourselves in such a plight.

What does North do if they don’t do a pick swap?

Do they reach for Tauru at pick 2? Or pick a big bodied mid?

If Tigers don’t do a pick swap with North for pick 2 then we might be able to have a crack at it. Assuming we want to. And if we do, could we protect pick 7 as part of any deal?

North won’t have many feasible options to trade-down other than with Tigers and Saints.

It will be a fascinating watch.

Exactly. Richmond may or may not fancy a pick swap. It doesn't change anything in terms of our selections, they'll still have 2 picks before us, no more, no less.

I'd be ready surprised if any of the Roos, Blues, Crows or Demons trade out of the top 6 - why would you?

If the Roos don't manage to convince the Tigers to swap places, they will have to ask us. Dees could swap 5 and 9 for 2 but are unlikely to be so generous do will have to get another lower pick by trading with someone for a future pick. Swapping with the Crows makes no sense as it is still a reach for Tauru at 4 and zadekaide would need to find another pick first too. Swapping 2 for Carlton's 3 is pointless.

We don't have the picks either though.

If the Crows Dees or ourselves can swap a future first for a late first rounder this year them North will jump on that.

Of course they could pick just a mid at 2, but would you with their list?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back