2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:

If we take Smillie at 7 and Langford is available at 8, surely we do something like 8+32 for Richmond's 10/11 + 2x20s pick/F2? Then take Travaglia/Lindsay at pick 11 while Richmond can take Langford

Might be able to get even more if they are desperate

Tigers would be desperate for Langford. They might do that.

Not sure I’d do it though. Take the two beast in the midfield. Quality always wins out. It’s why we hold our picks until the day of the draft.

Pick 32 might get us a really good running player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many scenarios that could play out.

Could see Richmond getting #2 and taking two of Smith/Draper/FOS

Blues or Tigers could take Draper and give the Crows something to think about at 4. Do they look to trade back and pick up someone like Trav later on?

How far to North drop if they are locked in on Tauru? Could the Dees snipe him at #5?

How many teams could look to move back up or in? Sydney, Richmond and GWS all with multiple picks. Essendon have supposedly let teams know they are keen to get back in, once the Kako bid is confirmed.

Trying to predict who we land at 7+8 (assuming we keep both) is nigh on impossible so, right now, I'll say we get Smillie & Langford after the Tiges, North and Adelaide do some pick swapping to land who they like.

1 - RICH - Smith
2 - RICH - Draper
3 - CARL - FOS
4 - NM - Tauru
5 - Melb - Lalor
6 - Adel - Travaglia
7 - STK - Smillie
8 - STK - Langford
Daniel Curtin has such a similar profile to Travaglia, I just don't think they need another one. The consensus view is Adelaide are looking for mids, and I can't see Draper getting passed their pick. I wouldn't be surprised if Carlton have manouevered to get to 3 so they can take Draper before Adelaide.

This excerpt from the Herald Sun.

ADELAIDE

Current Draft Picks: 4, 64

The Crows want to bolster their midfield and this is a good draft to do that.

Adelaide’s midfield was labelled “pedestrian” at times this year, but there is a player in the frame for pick four who could change that.

South Australian Sid Draper has been strongly linked to the Crows and is a player who has drawn comparisons to Chris Judd and Zak Butters with his speed and power coming out of stoppage.

Will Sid Draper become a Crow? Picture: Sarah Reed/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Will Sid Draper become a Crow?

He captained his state at the under-18 national championships mid-year and spent the second half of the season playing senior football with South Adelaide in the SANFL.

Alternatively, the Crows could secure a Victorian onballer, with the likes of Jagga Smith, Harvey Langford, Josh Smillie and Murphy Reid also in the mix to be top-five picks.

Langford (191cm) and Smillie (195cm) are both bigger-bodied options, while Smith and Reid are clean ball-winners with good footy IQ.

Adelaide also has access to a father-son in 191cm marking forward Tyler Welsh, the son of Scott.

The club is yet to commit to Welsh, who shapes as a potential late selection.

The trouble North has is that they only have picks 2 & 62. Nothing else.

Trading back from pick 2 means they have no draft currency to provide a pick back unless they use a future first. This limits their bargaining power.

Tigers won’t offer them 6 & 10 for 2. Maybe 6 & 18 at best. But maybe not. Throw a blanket over the first 6 picks. Pros and cons with all of them.

GWS has picks 15 & 16, but that is unlikely to cut it as a serious option for pick 2. Maybe they would consider 15 & 16 & 21. But maybe not.

That leaves the Saints. It may be that pick 8 & F1, or 8 & 32 & F2, is the best offer North will get for pick 2. And that’s is assuming we want to do that. Leaving us with picks 2 & 7 & later picks.

North desperately needs tall players. Desperately. They erred by not trading in an extra early pick during the recent trade period. They should have been prepared to use a player as collateral to get that pick. Giving something to get something back.

Now they are stuck. Reaching for a tall at pick 2. Drafting best available and missing out altogether. Or trading-down with limited bargaining power.

I would suggest the latter is probably their best option.

Trading pick 25 for Caleb Daniels had to be one of the dumber trades you’ll see. How was he worth more than McCrae?

Sure age, but he’s a pretty limited player. Geary gave him an absolute bath in that final. Perhaps the one piece of coaching brilliance Ratten displayed

Tigers would be desperate for Langford. They might do that.

Not sure I’d do it though. Take the two beast in the midfield. Quality always wins out. It’s why we hold our picks until the day of the draft.

Pick 32 might get us a really good running player.

Excuse the post but from a Tiges point of view we wouldn’t be desperate for Langford. Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, McAuliffe & Ross are the bigger bodies in our midfield.

Would think we’d be targeting players with speed from the stoppage. Think our preference would be.
1. Lalor
2. FOS
3. Draper
4. Smith
5. Smillie
6. Langford

I'm 100% sold on a Smilie or Langford & Reid or Lindsay combo at 7 & 8.

Gives us the brute insider and the high IQ distributor that will compliment the guys we already have beautifully.
Yeah that sort of combo is exactly what we need and whilst there are several other tempting options around that mark l think it would just be irresponsible to flirt with fate given our situation.
Obviously I'm not in favour of Reid in general, but l genuinely think the Langford/Reid combo is gonna be unpalatable due to lack of pace.
Smilie/Reid - is doable but again pace issues.
Smilie/Lindsay - covers all bases IMO
Reid/Lindsay - perhaps, but it becomes quite tempting to trade down.
Any af the above with Travaglia also worth consideration but probably similar thoughts on trading down.

Very different players.

Same with Henry and Reid, very different players. As Saint Mike said, he's footy IQ is off the charts and it's something we need more of

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Your namesake was my favourite player in his draft year and l still have a lot of fondness for him. But l just don't want another one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse the post but from a Tiges point of view we wouldn’t be desperate for Langford. Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, McAuliffe & Ross are the bigger bodies in our midfield.

Would think we’d be targeting players with speed from the stoppage. Think our preference would be.
1. Lalor
2. FOS
3. Draper
4. Smith
5. Smillie
6. Langford

Hopper & Prestia can’t stay on the park. Soft tissues like a 50 year old park cricketer.

Ross is not much more than a GOP at best.

McAuliffe a kid

So that leaves Taranto to do a lot of heavy lifting.

Having said that, I certainly do hope that you look elsewhere & leave the big inside mids to us.

1. Lalor
2. FOS
3. Draper
4. Smith
5. Smillie
6. Langford

Apparently Richmond have interviewed Langford many times and from all reports they love his character.

I have no idea who Richmond will prioritise but the reality is Langford could be the last of the big 7 on the board when we get to our second pick, and if he isn’t then Melbourne is next in line.

Presumably if Richmond have picks 1 & 2 they won’t have drafted that big bodied mid that is there. Hopper is injury prone and is not durable, he only played 12 games this year, has only played 35 in three years, and is 28 next year. You can’t rely on him always being there.

Prestia is near the end (32) and is injured regularly. Toranto is okay. McAuliffe has only played 9 games and Ross is 26 and has only played 70 games in 7 years (including only 7 this year).

I would argue Richmond lack quality, reliable and durable big bodied mids. It’s looks to be an area of need to me and I watched them several times this year because my daughter is a Tiger. Quantity doesn’t equate to quality.

But you know your list better than I do. I’d be surprised if Langford is there at pick 8 the Tigers don’t throw the kitchen sink at trying to land him.

. O’Sullivan - Rich
. Lalor - Rich
. Draper - Carlton
. Langford - Adel
[emoji6]. Reid - Melb
[emoji6]. Tauru - North
[emoji[emoji6]]. Smith - Stk
[emoji[emoji6]]. Smilie - Stk
[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]. Armstrong - Melb
[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]. Travaglia - North

The above would have to be our most realistic best possible result without moving up to .

Not sure why Adelaide and Melbourne would prefer Langford and Reid over Smith but it’s possible.

Smith + Smilie would be perfect for us combined with keeping all our futures and ,[emoji[emoji6]].

Reid is nothing like Hunter Clark.

Absolutely lazy link from this board.

He has 1000% more attacking nous
Can't remember Hunter Clark getting 30 and kicking 2/3 goals in CTL (NAB league back then) or even in the Champs.

One was a flanker with scope to play mid and was tipped to go 8-15 on a very shallow draft.

The other is a Mid who goes forward and impacts the scoreboard while being a top 5 prospect in one of the deepest drafts on recent memory.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Imagine if the Crows go with Langford, which is not impossible.

Both Draper and Smilie could be there for us.

Just reading that has me feeling all giddy. Don't do that to me my body only has so much copium that I can deal with.

Last edited:
. O’Sullivan - Rich
. Lalor - Rich
. Draper - Carlton
. Langford - Adel
[emoji6]. Reid - Melb
[emoji6]. Tauru - North
[emoji[emoji6]]. Smith - Stk
[emoji[emoji6]]. Smilie - Stk
[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]. Armstrong - Melb
[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]. Travaglia - North

The above would have to be our most realistic best possible result without moving up to .

Not sure why Adelaide and Melbourne would prefer Langford and Reid over Smith but it’s possible.

Smith + Smilie would be perfect for us combined with keeping all our futures and ,[emoji[emoji6]].
If we got Smilie and Smith I'd be over the moon, just don't see it happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back