2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Port just delisted a bunch of young talls. I know nothing about them, so do we have any SANFL watchers who could shed some light?

McCallum, Scully, Marshall.

All three seem to have huge upside.

I think you've made the connection before but there's a bit of Side bottom about Reid. Just looking at his stats, Side bottom kicked 25 goals in his first season, assuming that was off half forward. Would see a similar role for Reid.

Smillie would probably start out as a half forward too but perhaps more a bigger Owens type?
Smillie was also AA at u16s level as a HBF so there's always that option.

Sidebottom is a great comparison for Reid.

Langford could almost be a Wood type player earlier in his career. Great contested marking, good skills. Not overly quick but a good endurance runner. Obviously want all 3 to transition to the Midfield eventually.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The 3 highest rated prospects likely at our picks at this stage

• Smillie
  • Langford
  • Reid

Have all shown that they can play forward. They will all get that opportunity for the next few years.

What’s probably important is that it’s unlikely P7 or P8 will get as many games in year 1 as Pou and Wilson. Our development is further along and our list is much stronger.

So getting traditional Mids isn’t going to be an issue as they will be able to develop
This is why if these 3 or 2 out of the 3 are available, we keep picks 7 and 8 and take 2 midfielders and not split picks.

If we want another pick in this years first round - trade a future one.

Smillie was also AA at u16s level as a HBF so there's always that option.

Sidebottom is a great comparison for Reid.

Langford could almost be a Wood type player earlier in his career. Great contested marking, good skills. Not overly quick but a good endurance runner. Obviously want all 3 to transition to the Midfield eventually.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Smillie’s name has been around for a long while like some of the other top 5 candidates. What I’m wondering is what was it that he was doing so well at HBF? Did he intercept as well or more just ‘typical’ HB type ability? Any idea back then?

Been thinking a lot about this. Pou ran a quick 20m at the combine, but many complained this year about how he was slow. Pou showed in the latter part of the year that if he was hitting the contest at the right time he was dynamic. At the beginning of the year he looked slow and flat footed.

So I am of the belief that footy nous around the contest is so much more important than a few hundredths of a second in a controlled setting.

Good observation.

Players look quick when they have their timing right.

Pou is not a speedster but there is no issue with his pace at all, simply early in the year he was flat footed and reactive.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port just delisted a bunch of young talls. I know nothing about them, so do we have any SANFL watchers who could shed some light?

McCallum, Scully, Marshall.

All three seem to have huge upside.
North Delisted Bigoa

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back