2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
I would burn our Future 1st and/or 2nd if it meant we got Jagga Smith & Josh Smillie. If Draper is taken before Adelaide and Jagga is still on the board I’d consider trading 8 up to get Jagga. Don’t care if it’s an overpay.

Phillipou, Jagga, Smillie, Windhager, Wilson our midfield for the next decade. We might never lose a centre bounce clearance again.

If north don't trade 2 they probably take best available yeah? Can't see them reaching for Tauru at 2 if they can trade back and get him.

If they go a mid could we try and trade 8 and a f2 to richmond? Try to get 6 to at least get one of the top 6 mids and Reid?

Richmond wouldn’t accept that, they like Reid
Richmond also have no interest in shifting pick 6 unless it goes up to pick 2.

Going off other boards, North fans think that it will be 2 for 6+10, Tigs fans want 2 for 6+18. I lean slightly more towards 6+18 being fairer but also in Richmond's favour, although it's such a win-win trade for both clubs that I don't see a massive need for Richmond to overpay with 6+11.

Assuming North will finish 15th or thereabouts and Richmond are clearly finishing dead last, maybe 2 for 6+11 and a steak knives swap of F2 or F3 picks gets it done?

If north don't trade 2 they probably take best available yeah? Can't see them reaching for Tauru at 2 if they can trade back and get him.

If they go a mid could we try and trade 8 and a f2 to richmond? Try to get 6 to at least get one of the top 6 mids and Reid?

There is a lot to play out and its all conjecture at this time, which is a bit of fun to pass the time.

I think North would be best placed to trade down the order for pick #6 to take (Tauru or Armstrong) and something else, but Rawlings like a lot of list managers is a different cat. Having said that they might be attracted by the idea of grabbing a taller mid in the Smillie/Langford mould, whom may be both available at #2 or #6.

If Richmond keep #6, I think they definitely grab Armstrong. He is the best key forward in the draft and they wont be wanting the Saints and Melbourne to be having a bite before their next pick. If like predicted they trade up and hold picks #1 & #2, I think they take O'Sullivan and Smith and look at a key forward/defender at #10 & #11 - Armstrong, Shanahan, Tauru,Trainor. Berry/Hotton could even be a chance there given they have lost Bolton.

Its going to make for two very interesting draft nights thats for sure.

Last edited:

Going off other boards, North fans think that it will be 2 for 6+10, Tigs fans want 2 for 6+18. I lean slightly more towards 6+18 being fairer but also in Richmond's favour, although it's such a win-win trade for both clubs that I don't see a massive need for Richmond to overpay with 6+11.

Assuming North will finish 15th or thereabouts and Richmond are clearly finishing dead last, maybe 2 for 6+11 and a steak knives swap of F2 or F3 picks gets it done?

Yeah and I really hope you guys don’t pay 7&8 for pick 2 either. Can’t let them win it over either club..
6&18 is completely fair for both clubs

Richmond wouldn’t accept that, they like Reid

Haven’t shown interest in Reid
Langford
Smilie
Jagga
Lalor
FOS

Are all targets I’ve been told by

The problem for North is that pick 6 is still in the thick of the action when it comes to the top mids.

Richmond might be happy with getting whoever is there at 6.

GWS took Cadman at 1, he was probably 3 or 4 in reality. 2 vs 6 this draft is probably not that big of a drop. If I was Richmond, I'd offer 6 & 18 but nothing more, take it or leave it.

If North and Richmond do that swap, we should be all over North to give them our F2 to swap our P7 for their P6, depending on who's still on the board.

If North and Richmond do that swap, we should be all over North to give them our F2 to swap our P7 for their P6, depending on who's still on the board.
That's actually one of the worst pick swaps I've seen suggested on this thread (and there have been many)

Why would we do that? We have no reason to burn our F2 to shift up one pick when we are selecting two completely different types of players

Really seems like there isn’t much between the top 8 mid prospects.

Happy to take the leftovers, wether that is one or two of Reid, Smille, Langford etc.

If only one falls to us I’d be looking at Travaglia as our 2nd pick he looks like a game changer even if it’s off halfback not midfield.

Really seems like there isn’t much between the top 8 mid prospects.

Happy to take the leftovers, wether that is one or two of Reid, Smille, Langford etc.

If only one falls to us I’d be looking at Travaglia as our 2nd pick he looks like a game changer even if it’s off halfback not midfield.
Yeah probably worst case scenario is Reid/Tauru or Reid/Travaglia. Both seem like good outcomes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If North gets pick 6 will it prompt Melbourne to reach for a tall before North's pick?

Again it depends on what position they prioritise and who they rate higher tall forward or a midfielder. Melbourne might be happy to grab a mid at #5 and a tall forward at #9. There are so many variables with clubs needs and the evenness of the draft anything is possible.

Drafting quality mids should be our mantra but if Dalrymple rates Armstrong or Tauru above others at our picks I wouldnt be unhappy to take them. Yes we have Caminiti but I also believe Caminiti would become an excellent at CHB if needed.

Last edited:
If North gets pick 6 will it prompt Melbourne to reach for a tall before North's pick?
Nup - I think this chat that Melbourne has to take a key forward at 5 is a bit of a stretch and is pretty misguided. To take a KPF at 5 would not only be a massive reach based on best available, but it would basically be a confirmation they're giving up on Jefferson. They've otherwise got JVR and Turner developing, even Petty/McDonald/Fullarton can play forward, etc.

In any case, North are supposedly after Tauru/KPD not a KPF so I don't think it affects what Melbourne will do at 5. More likely Melbourne take a mid like Langford or Reid to complement their current midfield structure, and then go with someone like Armstrong/Shanahan at 9, maybe even a distributor like Travaglia/Lindsay - they were interested in Houston after all, so they might want to target this area.

I may sound like a broken record but I really don't understand how Ough isn't in many phantom drafts, like, at all.

Most phantoms are done to 30 or 40 and I'm rarely seeing Ough.

He is far from the finished product, but I think most casual observers are missing the signs of a great player.

For someone of his height, he is a step ahead of the game in close. Lots of quick and smart handballs in close. The kid is courageous, ie running back with the flight or into contests. His marking seems a cut above. He moves very well at stoppages. He has a neat kick, not super elite, but no worse than other highly rated guys. He's young, late late birthday meaning nearly a year younger than Jagga. He seems to step up when requited in big moments.

I think he will be the steal of the draft, if he is somehow available at our 2nd or 3rd pick I'd be ecstatic.

I may sound like a broken record but I really don't understand how Ough isn't in many phantom drafts, like, at all.

Most phantoms are done to 30 or 40 and I'm rarely seeing Ough.

He is far from the finished product, but I think most casual observers are missing the signs of a great player.

For someone of his height, he is a step ahead of the game in close. Lots of quick and smart handballs in close. The kid is courageous, ie running back with the flight or into contests. His marking seems a cut above. He moves very well at stoppages. He has a neat kick, not super elite, but no worse than other highly rated guys. He's young, late late birthday meaning nearly a year younger than Jagga. He seems to step up when requited in big moments.

I think he will be the steal of the draft, if he is somehow available at our 2nd or 3rd pick I'd be ecstatic.

I could name another 15-20 kids who are in the same boat, in other draft years they would be top 20 chances. Its just more evidence of how deep and talented this draft is and we are going to get 6 or 7 quality kids from it. Love it...

Again it depends on what position they prioritise and who they rate higher tall forward or a midfielder. Melbourne might be happy to grab a mid at #5 and a tall forward at #9. There are so many variables with clubs needs and the evenness of the draft anything is possible.

Drafting quality mids should be our mantra but if Dalrymple rates Armstrong or Tauru above others at our picks I wouldnt be unhappy to take them. Yes we have Caminiti but I also believe Caminiti would become an excellent at CHB if needed.
If Melbourne go midfielder first and Tauru is gone.... Then I'd be interested (depending on who was left at 8) in trading 8 to Richmond for 10 & 18 just to piss Melbourne off if they were confident of getting Armstrong.

Let Richmond draft Armstrong, Melbourne would probably then go Shanahan - leaving us with the same smaller options at 10 and pick 18 for the slider.

Yeah probably worst case scenario is Reid/Tauru or Reid/Travaglia. Both seem like good outcomes.
Reid seems to be the one that a lot of people have at the back of the pack but RMC has him at #2 ?!?
Can’t complain if he’s the one that falls to us.
Smilie the one I worry about being a bust.

Tauru sounds like a good replacement for battle but also sounds like north will take him early.

Re: Tigers / North pick swap of 2 & 6 ....it depends who is more desperate..... Tigers to move up or North move down?

And I would say it is the Tigers and if so .... what Tigers fans think is fair doesnt matter ..... North should be demanding 6 & 11 at minimum

Re: Tigers / North pick swap of 2 & 6 ....it depends who is more desperate..... Tigers to move up or North move down?

And I would say it is the Tigers and if so .... what Tigers fans think is fair doesnt matter ..... North should be demanding 6 & 11 at minimum
Nah imo Norf are 100% more desperate given they need a tall. If they don't find a buyer then they have to reach massively so it'd be a waste of a pick 2

Richmond are ok with either scenario because its Lalor/FOS vs Langford/Smillie + Armstrong/Travaglia etc - both options equally good

I would think north are more desperate as they simply don’t need mids and want Tauru.
Why reach at 2 when u can get him at 6 and then also get another pick for free

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back