2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Those rounds were a hard watch...the second season in a row where we've had a significant slump.
Personally I think our delivery forward still needs work. We're great at moving the ball until we get to the the half forward line... but goes a bit pear shaped unless we keep momentum, and the mids keep running it in towards goal. When we go to try and hit up longer leads, our kicks are just too easy to pick off.
I think we looked good those last few rounds due to short kicks to short leads within the 50...and the mids running it into goal when they had opportunity.
We won't be able to get away with that all of the time though, which is why the ability to hit up longer leads is important.
Also helps when our forwards move towards the carrier mind you.
All in all though, having skilled players is just good practice in general.
I don't know who those guys are in the draft at our picks, I rely on you guys for that info, but for every two pro's...there seems a con 🤷🏼‍♂️
RTB's mantra is Safe to fail and Excellence in learning. Transferred to reality it encourages players to take risks and push their envelope so long as they learn and develop from it. When you're not going well or against good oppo it can materialise into a lot of errors, but that's just navigating growth. Something Richo never understood. You can look at Mr Bonner as an example of someone who failed the learning component and was promptly dismissed.
That bad period demonstrated the squad have learnt to slug it out when things aren't going well and when they acclimatised to the slug fest the offensive side was able to come out of it's shell after the bye. We'll see if it carries over into next season but being hard to beat is RTBs hallmark so we can expect it will. The hope is that period established the foundations but it was just a bit late to make finals. As supporters we live week to week, but the club are operating a multi year plan so it can only be judged in that context. I think they're going pretty well to be honest. Enough so that they saw fit to lose the layer of insulation provided by Seb, Timmy, TC, etc and expose the kids. I'm expecting another development year but also finals if injuries allow. Time will tell.

I’ll have a crack:

1. Richmond - Lalor
2. Richmond - O’Sullivan
3. Carlton - Smith
4. Adelaide - Draper
5. Melbourne - Langford
6. North - Tauru
7. St. Kilda - Smillie
8. St. Kilda - Travaglia
9. Melbourne - Armstrong
3-5 so uncertain. For instance I could see Carlton take Draper ahead of Smith and if that occurred what do Adelaide do? Take Smith or does Smith slide even further? Who knows. Goodwin interviewed Smillie at the combine but was that based on considering him at pick 5 or 9? Smillie might be in the frame for 5 ahead of Langford.

Can see this in an alternative universe

1. FOS - Rich
2. Lalor - Rich
3. Draper - Carl
4. Smith (or Langford) - Adel
5. Smillie - Melb
6. Tauru - NM
7. Langford (or Smith) - StK
8. Travaglia (agree with you here) - StK
9. Armstrong (also makes sense) - Melb

3-5 so uncertain. For instance I could see Carlton take Draper ahead of Smith and if that occurred what do Adelaide do? Take Smith or does Smith slide even further? Who knows. Goodwin interviewed Smillie at the combine but was that based on considering him at pick 5 or 9? Smillie might be in the frame for 5 ahead of Langford.

1. FOS - Rich
2. Lalor - Rich
3. Draper - Carl
5. Smillie - Melb
6. Tauru - NM
We better hope a VIC mid lands at Adelaide - as a safety measure.

I’ll have a crack:

1. Richmond - Lalor
2. Richmond - O’Sullivan
3. Carlton - Smith
4. Adelaide - Draper
5. Melbourne - Langford
6. North - Tauru
7. St. Kilda - Smillie
8. St. Kilda - Travaglia
9. Melbourne - Armstrong

Ill be wrapped if Smillie makes it through to us, I think of the players that might be available to us he has the greatest potential to really excel.

You do love Travaglia dont you mate. He is a great lad we would have to nickname him 'The Ghost' if we selected him. I dont think its been used since the Jimmy Jess days.

A similiar player who has a bit more midfield proess is Xavier Lindsay, I think I would lean his way if we were to use pick #8. His left foot is a weapon and he has that speed and ball carrying we crave in our midfield. But again I would be happy with a variety of players at #8.

Ill be wrapped if Smillie makes it through to us, I think of the players that might be available to us he has the greatest potential to really excel.

You do love Travaglia dont you mate. He is a great lad we would have to nickname him 'The Ghost' if we selected him. I dont think its been used since the Jimmy Jess days.

A similiar player who has a bit more midfield proess is Xavier Lindsay, I think I would lean his way if we were to use pick #8. His left foot is a weapon and he has that speed and ball carrying we crave in our midfield. But again I would be happy with a variety of players at #8.
I like Tauru even more but he’ll be likely gone!
It’s all conjecture but I prefer Travaglia to Lindsay

1. FOS - Rich
2. Lalor - Rich
3. Draper - Carl
5. Smillie - Melb
6. Tauru - NM
You could be on the money apart from Langford…he won’t slip to #7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll have a crack:

1. Richmond - Lalor
2. Richmond - O’Sullivan
3. Carlton - Smith
4. Adelaide - Draper
5. Melbourne - Langford
6. North - Tauru
7. St. Kilda - Smillie
8. St. Kilda - Travaglia
9. Melbourne - Armstrong

I think we will lean this way also. One of Smillie or Langford providing Norf slide back then we take Travalglia with next pick if we see him in the midfield mix. Lindsay also a chance.

I like Murphy Reid but is his athletic profile a concern? Shame he hurt his knee and couldn't test at the combine. Was it the Age had him sliding in their rankings after consulting recruiters? Recruiters have concerns about him as a bonafide midfielder at AFL level with his athletic profile. Still a chance we take him. Interesting to see where he lands draft night.

Having two of the best runners in the game in Wilson and Travalglia as part of our midfield brigade on the wings is appealing.

So after watching some highlight videos and championship highlights I am definitely against Lindsay at 7 & 8, and would probably prefer Tauru or Armstrong over Travaglia as well but would be ok with Travaglia at 8 provided a mid at 7 is taken. Don't want to invest heavily into more "could transition to the midfield" type picks (eg. Coffield).

Lindsay is the opposite of "clean" or "one touch" from the clips I saw, and that's playing at under 18 level. Don't think that fumbly trait will convert well at AFL level. His kicking looks great, some good decision making, I reckon will be a decent distributor off halfback when there's no pressure or heat on him, but seems to spend it before he's got it under control when there's pressure. Reminds me of Billings, could be a reliable link in a chain off halfback or on a wing, but don't see him as a game changer.

Travaglia I would be less disappointed with if we drafted him with one of our 2 picks, he seems to have a bit more pace and reminds me of Darcy Wilson a bit, looks like he has the toe and workrate that Ross loves. Has a bit more height and marking ability from what I saw compared to Lindsay. Won some ball at stoppages and had the time and decision making that suggests he is a better chance to play on ball at AFL level. Still far from a sure thing as a midfield prospect but you can see a bit in his championship games at defensive half stoppages from the couple of clips I saw.

With Sinclair, Nas, Hill, Wilson, Wood and Hastie I just don't think we need anymore halfback/wing types with hard running and speed as prospects. We need mids, it's been done to death, but it's simple. At least 1 true out and out mid. One of Smillie/Langford/Reid/Smith/Draper with pick 7 would mean Travaglia at 8 would be alright. Honestly would rather Tauru, Trainor, Hotton, Armstong, Travaglia or even Shanahan at 8 rather than Lindsay.

The dream would be North trading back to 6 to take Tauru and Melbourne reaching for Armstrong at 5. All of a sudden 2 of the top mids are available for us at 7 & 8. Seems long odds though...

So after watching some highlight videos and championship highlights I am definitely against Lindsay at 7 & 8, and would probably prefer Tauru or Armstrong over Travaglia as well but would be ok with Travaglia at 8 provided a mid at 7 is taken. Don't want to invest heavily into more "could transition to the midfield" type picks (eg. Coffield).

Lindsay is the opposite of "clean" or "one touch" from the clips I saw, and that's playing at under 18 level. Don't think that fumbly trait will convert well at AFL level. His kicking looks great, some good decision making, I reckon will be a decent distributor off halfback when there's no pressure or heat on him, but seems to spend it before he's got it under control when there's pressure. Reminds me of Billings, could be a reliable link in a chain off halfback or on a wing, but don't see him as a game changer.

Travaglia I would be less disappointed with if we drafted him with one of our 2 picks, he seems to have a bit more pace and reminds me of Darcy Wilson a bit, looks like he has the toe and workrate that Ross loves. Has a bit more height and marking ability from what I saw compared to Lindsay. Won some ball at stoppages and had the time and decision making that suggests he is a better chance to play on ball at AFL level. Still far from a sure thing as a midfield prospect but you can see a bit in his championship games at defensive half stoppages from the couple of clips I saw.

With Sinclair, Nas, Hill, Wilson, Wood and Hastie I just don't think we need anymore halfback/wing types with hard running and speed as prospects. We need mids, it's been done to death, but it's simple. At least 1 true out and out mid. One of Smillie/Langford/Reid/Smith/Draper with pick 7 would mean Travaglia at 8 would be alright. Honestly would rather Tauru, Trainor, Hotton, Armstong, Travaglia or even Shanahan at 8 rather than Lindsay.

The dream would be North trading back to 6 to take Tauru and Melbourne reaching for Armstrong at 5. All of a sudden 2 of the top mids are available for us at 7 & 8. Seems long odds though...
The only way we draft Travaglia is if we are confident he can seamlessly transition into the midfield at AFL level. We'll have to be extremely confident he won't get stuck at HB

If we don't have this belief, then he's off the table

I agree with you about Lindsay, said a month ago that Lindsay doesn't look like an inside mid and seems like he'd get stuck on a wing - similar to Dylan Stephens. But then there's the other side of the coin where if he works his backside off to become an elite runner, he could be Errol Gulden - a mid who starts on the wing but roams the entire ground and doesn't just get stuck on one side of the ground. A decision on him depends on his personality testing imo

For picks 7&8, I'd be happy with any of Jagga/Smillie/Langford + Tauru/Smillie (with Jagga)/split pick for Hotton + Hynes

Just really hope if we are left with the group of Trav/Lindsay/etc., we don't just 'settle' with one of them rather than getting players we genuinely want

I’d be interested in the results of the combine, but I just don’t see speed as being a Lindsay weapon. Maybe I’m on the scoobie snacks

I don’t think that’s usually Lindsay’s habit of fumbling, but he certainly had a patch in the final Champs game didn’t he. Extra pressure? A Let off as he otherwise was top notch?

Be interested if you could name a couple? I can't think of a team that has won he flag in the last 40 years that didn't have at least a couple of A grade mids.

West Coast probably the worst of them. Shuey, Reddan, Hutchings, Yeo and Mastens across the centre line and ruck. Venables and Sheed off the interchange. Even Richmond had Cotch who was a very good player but not an absolute match winner, Edwards and Prestia with impact work from Dusty. Dusty the only absolute star player.

I’d be interested in the results of the combine, but I just don’t see speed as being a Lindsay weapon. Maybe I’m on the scoobie snacks
Nah it's a fair take. He doesn't have burst but he has a high cruising speed imo so you'd rather he be receiving the ball on the run rather than winning a clearance and bursting out of a stoppage - hence question of whether he is an inside mid or an outside player

Kind of like Kane Farrell, who was a mid/fwd in his draft year and eventually settled at half back at AFL level

I never watch Baseball but turned on the Yankees v Dodgers World Series game 1 at the bottom of the tenth to watch the first grand slam walk off in World Series history for the Dodgers to win.
Most historic thing to happen in MLB and I happen to catch it.
Would be like never watching cricket and to happen to turn on to see Warne's ball of the century.
Can do this but not win powerfully, lol.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. FOS - Rich
2. Lalor - Rich
3. Draper - Carl
5. Smillie - Melb
6. Tauru - NM
Yeah, with Sinclair & Webster now veterans, Travaglia would be a good replacement & to play alongside Nas. Lindsay too, but Trav rated higher? Maybe we take them both haha.

Won't find the explosive mid. by the looks of it, in this draft, so will have to hit free agency next year & hope we land either Brayshaw or LDU.

Boxshall the smokey, as an explosive mid. Seen him at pick 30 on one draft board.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back