2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
I still get the feeling the likely scenario is all of Lalor, FOS, Jagga, Langford, Smillie, Draper being off the board by the time our picks roll around.

Are we comfortable with a Murphy Reid and change?
Just watch these videos along with the Murphy Reid ones.

Alix Tauru

DRAFT RANGE: 8-15

SUMMARY:

With his finish to the season and with so much upside, especially after recent results at the draft combine, expect Tauru to be in the frame to secure his place on an AFL list come night one of the draft. For someone who can compete in all three areas of the ground and possesses the traits Tauru has, and given the level of interest across the board from nearly every club, he will be in high demand. However, with the top end talent of this draft being dominated by pure midfielders it could be possible he could either end up in the top 10 or fall just outside it. While the scary thing is that he hasn’t even scratched the surface of his potential yet, the fact is there is no position set for him due to his versatility and ultimately the club that selects him will be doing so based on where he fits into their side and where they see him contributing in two to five seasons time. Come draft night, though, it will be a matter of how far he slips.

With Tauru's attributes you wouldn't want him to be playing lockdown like Wilkie does (I know he also intercepts but his primary focus is always to shut out his opposition). Clubs will get the best out of him by letting him attack the ball and play off his man - like Tom Stewart (who isn't expected to shut out an opponent)

If we want a lockdown player then we target that need later in the draft - a top 10 pick for a role player in a midfield-heavy draft is not the play imo. Mraz and O'Farrell could be available at our 2nd rounder, while we also have Cole as an NGA

I heard Mraz saying that he had the year from hell and he had injury after set back all season. Going into this year he was expected to be a very high pick. He might end up a steal in this draft as a forgotten man.

Just watch these videos along with the Murphy Reid ones.

Alix Tauru

DRAFT RANGE: 8-15

SUMMARY:

With his finish to the season and with so much upside, especially after recent results at the draft combine, expect Tauru to be in the frame to secure his place on an AFL list come night one of the draft. For someone who can compete in all three areas of the ground and possesses the traits Tauru has, and given the level of interest across the board from nearly every club, he will be in high demand. However, with the top end talent of this draft being dominated by pure midfielders it could be possible he could either end up in the top 10 or fall just outside it. While the scary thing is that he hasn’t even scratched the surface of his potential yet, the fact is there is no position set for him due to his versatility and ultimately the club that selects him will be doing so based on where he fits into their side and where they see him contributing in two to five seasons time. Come draft night, though, it will be a matter of how far he slips.

He marks like Trevor Barker. Even the boring ones look spectacular.

Just had a aha moment. That run down tackle from Garcia on Holmes will be forever etched in my memory.
With him, Phillipou & Windhager, reckon our inside mid. looks better than some might think.
Is why I'm more inclined to pick mids with speed, class & elite kicking. so Is why I'm big on Hotton & Lindsay. And we are having a crack at Brayshaw & LDU next year too, to add to the inside.

There is no way Jagga slides.

I think there is a lot more chance now than half way through the Champs. It's not that he's done anything wrong, more that others pushed up. Plenty of clubs have plenty of accumulators, not many have the flash or X factor. Clubs like Richmond probably prefer some sizzle because they will expect Hopper and Taranto to come good at some stage. Lalor and Reid types probably have a bit more of that and guys like Langford are big guys who can probably hit the score board more easily.

North have bulk inside mids. Melbourne still have a few but probably a chance. Carlton heaps of inside extraction. Adelaide have plenty of inside mids. WC probably need everything.

Jeez he can take a grab all right the Taurus! Wouldn’t North be into a player like that? I’d still prefer us taking 2 x mids.
Should have Roo watermarkings all over those video's. This kid is stealing Reiwoldts IP.

Jeez he can take a grab all right the Taurus! Wouldn’t North be into a player like that? I’d still prefer us taking 2 x mids.
After watching those highlights you wonder why he isn't a clear favorite for the #1 pick. It's a deadset carbon copy of Roo's pre-draft vision with Southport.

I've been locked into a tall mid/small mid combo but if the Viking is still on the board it's going to be very hard to overlook him.

He'll put bums on seats wherever he ends up.

After watching those highlights you wonder why he isn't a clear favorite for the #1 pick. It's a deadset carbon copy of Roo's pre-draft vision with Southport.

I've been locked into a tall mid/small mid combo but if the Viking is still on the board it's going to be very hard to overlook him.

Bont/Oliver like rise in the back half of the year.

He started to put it together later and then had a really strong combine.

FOS Draper Smillie Jagga Reid Lalor have been the talk since the start of the season.

Langford had arguably the best campaign but his athletic testing is concern for some

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the first 7 picks are used on mids (including Ashcroft) I think it's an easy choice to take him. Replaces Battle straight away (or in a couple of years).
Then pick the mid that gets through - one of Smillie, Langford or Reid with our other pick.

Would our future first get it done?
If we jag a teens pick for our F1 & end up with a haul like;

7-Smilie or Langford
8- Viking
14- Hotton or Lindsay

then we're doing cartwheels.

Although Smilie/Langford will likely only get through to us if Tauru gets taken early doors.

100% regarding the Roo-Tauru similarities, the hair obviously helps but it’s startling to see after just a few marks.

What is he, 193cm? Where would he fit in, he’s been played back/fwd? I noticed in one clip it said he had 16 disposals for the game. I think North will have a very good look at him. In terms of us if they’re backing in Caminiti as a back it makes sense.

I think with a set of hands like that he could be a very handy link-up player in RTBs system, that crucial grab that prevents a turnover on the outlet or the arcs.

As long as it translates against bigger bodies but yeah, wildcard!

I know you didn't say that but I don't see him as a Wilkie replacement if we take him - he's more a Battle replacement

Wilkie is a lot more accountable while Battle goes for intercepts and only plays defensive when there is a specific matchup for him (like Jeremy Cameron). The latter is where I see Tauru playing his best footy and yes, I do agree that any defender (including Nas) requires education in defensive craft
I wasn't calling him a Wilkie replacement. But Wilkie's ability to play undersized allows our 193cm defender to be less accountable than they would need to be in other teams. And that means we have a bit longer to train up his defensive ability than we would if we didn't have Wilkie on the list.

Should have Roo watermarkings all over those video's. This kid is stealing Reiwoldts IP.

Rooey took a ridiculous amount of his marks on his chest. Tauru seems to hit at the highest point and has that leap. Both have incredible athletic prowess though.

Give him the Number 1 and tell him if he even thinks about cutting that white hair then he’ll be delisted.

Would be interested to see his time trial results.

100% regarding the Roo-Tauru similarities, the hair obviously helps but it’s startling to see after just a few marks.

What is he, 193cm? Where would he fit in, he’s been played back/fwd? I noticed in one clip it said he had 16 disposals for the game. I think North will have a very good look at him. In terms of us if they’re backing in Caminiti as a back it makes sense.

I think with a set of hands like that he could be a very handy link-up player in RTBs system, that crucial grab that prevents a turnover on the outlet or the arcs.

He probably starts in defence. He's a lot more than just a "handy link-up player" - save that role for a lesser player

Let Tauru thrive in his preferred role as a third tall that intercepts absolutely everything and puts his body on the line for the team. He has genuine A-grade qualities

A few are saying Tom Stewart HB interceptor role. He seems like a genuine swingman though.

He probably doesn't get to us but looks pretty much a player that has unlimited potential still. Trainor is the forgotten man and could genuinely end up a star KPF or back. It would be nice if some how he drifted right out to our second round pick.

Roo was 193 too. Atheticism is king in modern footy.

He looks like the perfect swingman at present.

He did go forward later in the year and did v well, which I think has also been the driver of his rise - not necessarily that he becomes a forward, but shows flexibility and game sense. He has also run through the midfield, just not sure whether he was thought to have midfield sense or not.

There was one game in the CTL where the wind was strong, so they kept him at the same end all game - forward with the wind and defence against it.

Bont/Oliver like rise in the back half of the year.

He started to put it together later and then had a really strong combine.

FOS Draper Smillie Jagga Reid Lalor have been the talk since the start of the season.

Langford had arguably the best campaign but his athletic testing is concern for some

Yeah, he's hyped because he's so eye catching but hasn't had the consistent form of others. He's seem as a player with huge scope for improvement rather than a ready made star. He's more a spirited wild horse than a thoroughbred. He's dare to dream rather than known quantity.

Langford is he opposite. Just consistently put up excellent games all through Coates league and Champs.

If the first 7 picks are used on mids (including Ashcroft) I think it's an easy choice to take him. Replaces Battle straight away (or in a couple of years).
Then pick the mid that gets through - one of Smillie, Langford or Reid with our other pick.

If North don’t or won’t trade down from pick 2, then I think they just have to reach and take Tauru. He won’t be there beyond the top 10, if not considerably sooner.

I would prefer us to draft 2 mids but I would be perfectly comfortable with us drafting Tauru at 8 if he is there. He looks to be a lad who could play in a variety of positions.

Tauru’s upside looks enormous and it is already happening. Sometimes a club just has to draft a lad based on ability, regardless of list needs. This boy might be one of those players.

Who knows, Melbourne might just nip in and sneakily snare him at pick 5. It could be an argument for North to just use pick 2 and draft him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back