2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
If North don’t or won’t trade down from pick 2, then I think they just have to reach and take Tauru. He won’t be there beyond the top 10, if not considerably sooner.

I would prefer us to draft 2 mids but I would be perfectly comfortable with us drafting Tauru at 8 if he is there. He looks to be a lad who could play in a variety of positions.

Tauru’s upside looks enormous and it is already happening. Sometimes a club just has to draft a lad based on ability, regardless of list needs. This boy might be one of those players.

Who knows, Melbourne might just nip in and sneakily snare him at pick 5. It could be an argument for North to just use pick 2 and draft him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I don't think he looks at all like a 'reach' now.

He's seems like the best tall in the draft... take him wherever your first pick falls or risk losing him.

Yeah I don't think he looks at all like a 'reach' now.

He's seems like the best tall in the draft... take him wherever your first pick falls or risk losing him.
Think you’re right. Would Melbourne take him at 5? I would based on those highlights! If so, North are a bit stuck. “Reach” for him at 2 or risk losing him. Our picks are after Melbourne so not helpful. Would Crows for Blues pick trade? But why? North may as well take him at 2 as they would lose more draft capital in such trade.

So I think Saints fans need to move on from Viking and get excited about whatever slider we get at 7. Last time we had to see where the picks before us fell to land a mid we were gifted the Pou.

so worst case scenario for us without pick trading is the 7th mid reid & tauru?

any world that sees us get any one of fos lalor draper jagga langford smilie with either of them,or 2 of those 6 if reid is rated higher by someone and tauru is reached for is an improvement?

im liking this a lot,trade period was deadset boring,but if we sit tight and make the draft boring im fine with it,if we do make a move it better be a good one,because we are already in a very good position

maybe f1 for one of richmonds later first round picks if someone really desirable(lindsay trainor dodson)is still on board at that point

If North take another pure mid with their pick, then they’re ****ing idiots that deserve another year in the bottom 3.

We need to remember that North traded pick 25 to the Bulldogs for Caleb Daniel. Perhaps (or close to) the smallest player in the AFL.

Pick 25 should have been used to draft a taller player if they were balancing list needs. Very strange decision (and I’m putting that politely).

I’m not sure North will draft Tauru is they keep pick 2. They probably will if they have pick 6 or 8. But he might be gone by then.

Who knows what North will do. But if they want their man then they should just sit tight and draft him with their current pick.

It’s in their own hands now. Imagine if they trade-down and Tauru is gone before their pick. It would be a major miscalculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even those two are probably fair if you consider how they might play in the AFL system. Both have legitimates question marks over their midfield impact at the top level. They probably both end up mids but potentially not so get a mark down.
There’s no way in hell Smilie doesn’t end up a mid. And Reid will, albeit possibly starting on a flank.

He marks like Trevor Barker. Even the boring ones look spectacular.
Tauru is RooMk2, it's funny how there are so many experts on the draft that barely mention Tauru. Now he's come with a rush and we can all see he is a gun, based on videos from months ago.

I'm no expert, but he was basically never spoken of in September, let alone during the champs.

The way his highlights look, he could go two and noone should bat an eyelid.

Tauru is RooMk2, it's funny how there are so many experts on the draft that barely mention Tauru. Now he's come with a rush and we can all see he is a gun, based on videos from months ago.

I'm no expert, but he was basically never spoken of in September, let alone during the champs.

The way his highlights look, he could go two and noone should bat an eyelid.
Cal Twomey has been massive on him for months - he's the only guru anyone should be listening to tbh

Pick 2 is still a reach imo for a player that hasn't got a consistent body of work despite his seemingly mercurial talents

Could see North doing that Pick 2 swap with Richmond, Tauru at 6 and then whatever else they get in the swap. Pick 2 feels a stretch for him despite what looks very possible for him

Just watch these videos along with the Murphy Reid ones.

Alix Tauru

DRAFT RANGE: 8-15

SUMMARY:

With his finish to the season and with so much upside, especially after recent results at the draft combine, expect Tauru to be in the frame to secure his place on an AFL list come night one of the draft. For someone who can compete in all three areas of the ground and possesses the traits Tauru has, and given the level of interest across the board from nearly every club, he will be in high demand. However, with the top end talent of this draft being dominated by pure midfielders it could be possible he could either end up in the top 10 or fall just outside it. While the scary thing is that he hasn’t even scratched the surface of his potential yet, the fact is there is no position set for him due to his versatility and ultimately the club that selects him will be doing so based on where he fits into their side and where they see him contributing in two to five seasons time. Come draft night, though, it will be a matter of how far he slips.

**** it, gimme Tauru at 7 and whichever mid fell to us at 8.

Then put this kid in the #18 and let BJ show him the way...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal Twomey has been massive on him for months - he's the only guru anyone should be listening to tbh

Pick 2 is still a reach imo for a player that hasn't got a consistent body of work despite his seemingly mercurial talents
100%, Cal has been on him from day 1. I was more referring to everyone else. Cal is probably the only one I really pay attention to - as much as he is often wrong and it's not an exact science.

On the pick 1 is a reach, you aren't exactly wrong - but it's not a crazy reach. Bont was a 'reach' at pick 4 when Scharenberg and Aish were always the top kids in that draft says a reach isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Just on that draft, how does Collingwood get away with taking both Scharenberg and Freeman before Cripps but we are the club who gets shat on for Billings vs Bont...

Plot twist

We trade up to #2 & take the Viking.

Norf respond with glares & sad faces.

Oh yeah...

#1 - Rich - FOS
Tigers swap 6+11 for 2+F1st from NM
#2 - Rich - Lalor
#3 - Carl - Draper
STK Swap 7+ F1st for 4+ F1st with Adel after they miss on Draper.
#4 - STK - Tauru
#5 - Melb - Armstrong (worried North will go at #6)
#6 - NM - Smillie (Hoping he is a POD mid)
#7 - Adel - Langford
#8 - STK - Smith

Just gotta finish above Adelaide next year for he win hehe

Would our future first get it done?

Since our future first may well be a pick in the teens , think about reasons that another team would swap their here/now pick in the teens with our future pick in the teens.
It may have a chance of being earlier than that, but also a chance it will be later.

So from my point of view its a no.

Afternoon everyone, I come in peace!

What do you all think the chances are of you taking Harry Armstrong with 1 of your first 2 picks? going 1 x mid and 1 x key forward?

I'd love him at the Tigers but I think the Saints might be our biggest threat of taking him with King, Sharman and Caminiti the main key forward stocks currently.

Afternoon everyone, I come in peace!

What do you all think the chances are of you taking Harry Armstrong with 1 of your first 2 picks? going 1 x mid and 1 x key forward?

I'd love him at the Tigers but I think the Saints might be our biggest threat of taking him with King, Sharman and Caminiti the main key forward stocks currently.
others will know better,but i hope not for us,chips are all in with Ming and his new contract and a couple very handy so far developing key forwards,its 2 mids with our early picks or 1 mid and tauru for mine,hope the club sticks to that also

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back