Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

I struggle to make sense of that conclusion based on those stats. 2 flags and competitive nearly every year, often with an average list

Shit bloke but great coach. Done a lot with an average list including winning a flag in 2022. Still hard to believe they won with that side. They will improve their list and be annoying again next year.
Average list? They have 4 or 5 AA’s each year 😉

It’s so tired and disconnected with reality. I actually don’t know anyone who follows footy in Victoria who supports rival Victorian teams once their own team is out. Literally none. Much prefer an interstate side that is largely irrelevant to our lives win than a despised local rival.
The only thing better than next week's game would be a team like Freo being in the GF. Literally don't care about the result as a neutral and you can the watch the game not really caring who wins with quite a few drinks in tow. Sydney vs WCE felt exactly like that. Lions are the ones I prefer to win but really doesn't matter if Sydney do. Sure there contenders nearly every year but they have won 4 flags. Long way to go before I'll be sick of them winning TBH.

OK, which one of you mob is this guy?

Boohoo they were just about injury free before last night's game. If they had issues with Gastro etc than you pick the next best available player. They had plenty to choose from. Piss weak excuses but that's what you come to expect from them when they lose.

Not sure where to put this question, Mods feel free to move.

After watching the VFL GF today, what was the reason the AFL gave for granting a non existant team a license over a established team like the Southport Sharks?

someone should explain to him some history ie south Melbourne and Fitzroy and that both teams have tens of thousands of supporters here

also the fact that we don't support fellow victorian teams ie 80% of victorians where supporting his eagles v pies ....some good twitter responses for him

I thought swans and lions prelims were great auditions for a open free flowing granny

Having said that they may go defensive while they probe each other

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where to put this question, Mods feel free to move.

After watching the VFL GF today, what was the reason the AFL gave for granting a non existant team a license over a established team like the Southport Sharks?
not sure about the AFL specifically, but apparently they're like a Collingwood (not well liked). might be a case of wanting to appeal to the whole region with a slick new image and a fresh start.

Geez the standard of footy journalist is low, especially in WA it seems. Must not pay attention to anything outside his state if he thinks Victorians are upset about this result. I love watching a GF where I don't have to see a Victorian side I dislike win a flag.

Oh god eye roll.

This VicBias bullshit. Every time the free kick count doesn't match. Every year we talk about the location of the grand final, AA representation, Bownlow medalist - all that shit. But this one, all year (and every year) we hear about how the AFL only wants Victorian sides in the premiership.

There are 18 teams. Half are from Victoria, half aren't. So you'd expect, on average, for the grand final to be 1x Vic side and 1x non-Vic side.

And here's how it's been since the turn of the century:

2024 - Syd v Brisbane (non v non)
2023 - Coll v Brisbane
2022 - Syd v Geelong
2021 - Melb v Bulldogs (vic v vic)
2020 - Rich v Geel (vic v vic)
2019 - Rich v GWS
2018 - Coll v WCE
2017 - Adel v Rich
2016 - Syd v WB
2015 - WC v Haw
2014 - Syd v Haw
2013 - Freo v Haw
2012 - Syd v Haw
2011 - Geel v Coll (vic v vic)
2010 - Coll v St K (vic v vic)
2009 - Geel v St K (vic v vic)
2008 - Haw v Geel (vic v vic)
2007 - PA v Geel
2006 - WC v Syd (non v non)
2005 - WC v Syd (non v non)
2004 - Port v Bris (non v non)
2003 - Bris v Coll
2002 - Bris v Coll
2001 - Bris v Ess

so 5 times its been 2x non vic sides. 6 times it's been 2x vic sides. The rest of the time it's been one of each - which is EXACTLY WHAT YOU'D EXPECT given the distritbution of teams.

So if the AFL wants to keep non-vic sides out of the grand final - they are absolutely terrible at creating their own outcomes.

Oh god eye roll.

This VicBias bullshit. Every time the free kick count doesn't match. Every year we talk about the location of the grand final, AA representation, Bownlow medalist - all that shit. But this one, all year (and every year) we hear about how the AFL only wants Victorian sides in the premiership.

There are 18 teams. Half are from Victoria, half aren't. So you'd expect, on average, for the grand final to be 1x Vic side and 1x non-Vic side.

And here's how it's been since the turn of the century:

2024 - Syd v Brisbane (non v non)
2023 - Coll v Brisbane
2022 - Syd v Geelong
2021 - Melb v Bulldogs (vic v vic)
2020 - Rich v Geel (vic v vic)
2019 - Rich v GWS
2018 - Coll v WCE
2017 - Adel v Rich
2016 - Syd v WB
2015 - WC v Haw
2014 - Syd v Haw
2013 - Freo v Haw
2012 - Syd v Haw
2011 - Geel v Coll (vic v vic)
2010 - Coll v St K (vic v vic)
2009 - Geel v St K (vic v vic)
2008 - Haw v Geel (vic v vic)
2007 - PA v Geel
2006 - WC v Syd (non v non)
2005 - WC v Syd (non v non)
2004 - Port v Bris (non v non)
2003 - Bris v Coll
2002 - Bris v Coll
2001 - Bris v Ess

so 5 times its been 2x non vic sides. 6 times it's been 2x vic sides. The rest of the time it's been one of each - which is EXACTLY WHAT YOU'D EXPECT given the distritbution of teams.

So if the AFL wants to keep non-vic sides out of the grand final - they are absolutely terrible at creating their own outcomes.
There are actually 10 Vic teams to 8 non-Vic, so yeh non-Vic’s are actually over represented

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back