Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder how many coaches' votes Blake Hardwick has received over the years. Would be a heck of a lot more than two!

Fwiw, I regard the coaches' votes as being more relevant than those from umpires, who have enough to focus their attention on during games without having to worry about who's having a good game and who isn't. Who knows, perhaps they might even improve their core task of umpiring the game if the responsibility of allocating Brownlow votes was taken away from them!

Why not have an independent adjudicator for 3-2-1 Brownlow votes at each game? All you'll need is a rotating panel comprising around a dozen folk. The votes can be sealed as they're currently done, to preserve security.

We already have a panel for Norm Smith votes for the GF. Why not extend that for the Brownlow? We might then even have defenders or forwards winning it occasionally...
Are you familiar with the AA selection panel? And you want to repeat that with the Brownlow? 🤪

There is simply no one that is going to turn up to games every week and who is also independent. Inevitably they are linked to the media or a club. Umpires the closest we have. They should probably work through their own bias issues rather than chuck out the format.

You're being a little picky. The umps probably just got confused about which brother had the better day.
Really? The ability to grow facial hair isn't a sufficient differentiator?

Really? The ability to grow facial hair isn't a sufficient differentiator?

fishing-gif-13.gif

Are you familiar with the AA selection panel? And you want to repeat that with the Brownlow? 🤪

There is simply no one that is going to turn up to games every week and who is also independent. Inevitably they are linked to the media or a club. Umpires the closest we have. They should probably work through their own bias issues rather than chuck out the format.

1727171253983.png

Fagan won CotY. Get ****ed! Bloke took a team from one grand final to the next. Hardly anything amazing.

"The 2019 winner of the award, Fagan finished on 272 votes to be clear of Sydney's John Longmire (209) and Hawthorn's Sam Mitchell (161)."

Fagan won CotY. Get ****ed! Bloke took a team from one grand final to the next. Hardly anything amazing.

"The 2019 winner of the award, Fagan finished on 272 votes to be clear of Sydney's John Longmire (209) and Hawthorn's Sam Mitchell (161)."
I wonder what David King thinks about the fact that head coaches and assistants across the AFL have voted Fages as CotY. I'd love Robbo to ask him that on 360 tomorrow...

Apparently a perennial top 4 side sneaking in to the 8 and scraping into a GF after making a GF the previous year is the mark of the best coach.

Honestly felt the two best coaches this year were clearly Chris Scott and Sam Mitchell. I hate Geelong as much as anyone but ending top 4 with a list like theirs is a ridiculous achievement, worse versions of the same star players along with some very middling youngsters. Thought the Hawks turnaround was more impressive, but Scott and Geelong a clear #2.

But what do I know!

To me the more remarkable fact is that AC could coach a team to four GFs in a row, win three straight and somehow still be overlooked for this award. Apparently each of those years another coach lifted a bottom team unexpectedly and so got the nod ahead of him...a feat which no longer seems to carry weight!

Anyway, it's just another award nobody remembers so I don't think we should leave sleep over it.

I just don't think I've ever seen a season get so many awards so wrong. The AA side was a mess, Brownlow a mess, Rising Star a mess, COTY a mess, GOTY finalists a mess. Only reasonable award were the MVP and AFLCA award. Bont deserved the MVP as the most damaging player, Daicos the AFLCA award as the most consistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fagen has the best list in the AFL , so, should be top two every year is what gets thrown around during the season especially when the lions lose a few games yet, THAT list finishes fifth and makes, rightfully, into the GF and wins COTY! We knew the buthurt re - Hawks but this is another level.

To me the more remarkable fact is that AC could coach a team to four GFs in a row, win three straight and somehow still be overlooked for this award. Apparently each of those years another coach lifted a bottom team unexpectedly and so got the nod ahead of him...a feat which no longer seems to carry weight!

Anyway, it's just another award nobody remembers so I don't think we should leave sleep over it.
Fagan claims the award for the second time in his eight-year career at the Lions, having previously won in 2019 after taking his side to a semi-final just 12 months after finishing 15th on the ladder.

My advice as a grizzled old curmudgeon is, in all honesty, don't give any awards a second thought.

When you stop and think, they are essentially meaningless.

I haven't watched the Brownlow in 20 years...I find out the next day who won...I might slightly raise an eyebrow, maybe arrange the glasses on my nose, think "Well, fancy that" for a second or so, and then my life happily rolls on as before.

Hawthorn winning games, and then flags, is more than enough irrational tribal angst for a person.

There is no solution to fix it. Everyone talks about making changes to the Brownlow, but then it wouldn't be the Brownlow. The only thing we can do is just collectively care less about it.
I heard Bucks suggest making the coaches votes the Brownlow and keep them secret throughout the year, announcing it on the night in a similar format to what’s done now.

At first glance I don’t mind it, but I don’t even know if you could trust the coaches not to lean towards certain players late in the season if they knew they were decent crack at it.

Not interested in another panel doing it, AA is proof that more talking heads does not result in better outcomes.

My advice as a grizzled old curmudgeon is, in all honesty, don't give any awards a second thought.

When you stop and think, they are essentially meaningless.

I haven't watched the Brownlow in 20 years...I find out the next day who won...I might slightly raise an eyebrow, maybe arrange the glasses on my nose, think "Well, fancy that" for a second or so, and then my life happily rolls on as before.

Hawthorn winning games, and then flags, is more than enough irrational tribal angst for a person.
This is the most on brand Eldorado post possible.

Chris Scott hasn't won it either. Quite remarkable. Honestly think Sam not winning this year is a complete farce but let's be honest we can't take this award seriously if there not even consistent with how it gets judged. Just ignore it and let Sams and the teams actions do the talking on the field.

They might select forwards for votes….just kidding

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back