Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm okay with Sam not getting coach of the year.

He's done an awesome job.

Everyone who says "he took a team that was 0-5 to the finals" needs to remember he also took at team that was 0-0 to 0-5. He had an awesome year but ultimately coached a side from third last to 6th. A great season - but probably a final win or two short of being coach of the year.

None of that is criticism by the way. Every great coach needs a ramp up season like we've had.

What I think is notable about how Mitchell has coached is that in the Cats/Lions prelim, The lions played a lot like Hawthorn. Spread the ground and then found avenues forward either wide or through the middle and ultimately won with small forwards doing the work with talls halving the aerial contests.

I think Mitchell has influenced the prevailing game style more than any coach this year.

It’s voted for by their peers
No surprise then that Chris Scott and Clarkson have never won one and it’s easy to understand how Sam would be following in their footsteps

It’s voted for by their peers
No surprise then that Chris Scott and Clarkson have never won one and it’s easy to understand how Sam would be following in their footsteps
It's funny, we never had an assistant win the assistant coach of the year either but 9 of the last 11 premiers were either Hawthorn or have had former Hawthorn assistants as head coach, and it could be 10 of the last 12 after this weekend.

Fagan won CotY. Get ****ed! Bloke took a team from one grand final to the next. Hardly anything amazing.

"The 2019 winner of the award, Fagan finished on 272 votes to be clear of Sydney's John Longmire (209) and Hawthorn's Sam Mitchell (161)."
I have long said this is one of the worst awards in the sport, maybe the rising star as well but this goes close so i shouldn't care. It is just a most improved team award almost always but that is what pisses me off most.

I watched Clarko get ignored for this dog shit award for over a decade because he was just expected to keep trotting out top 4 restults. But when 2 of the clearly best lists finish where they are expected to they now finish ahead of Mitchell who dragged 'one of the worst lists and clear bottom 4 team in the league to the finals'

Holy shit no consistency on how they vote for this.

I'm okay with Sam not getting coach of the year.

He's done an awesome job.

Everyone who says "he took a team that was 0-5 to the finals" needs to remember he also took at team that was 0-0 to 0-5. He had an awesome year but ultimately coached a side from third last to 6th. A great season - but probably a final win or two short of being coach of the year.

None of that is criticism by the way. Every great coach needs a ramp up season like we've had.

What I think is notable about how Mitchell has coached is that in the Cats/Lions prelim, The lions played a lot like Hawthorn. Spread the ground and then found avenues forward either wide or through the middle and ultimately won with small forwards doing the work with talls halving the aerial contests.

I think Mitchell has influenced the prevailing game style more than any coach this year.
"he also took at team that was 0-0 to 0-5."
Chris Fagan took a team that was in the grand final last year to 2-5 and then onto the GF (net 0 improvement thus far)

Mitchell took a team that was 16th last year to 0-5 from 0-0 and then to finals. There is no comparison.

I have long said this is one of the worst awards in the sport, maybe the rising star as well but this goes close so i shouldn't care. It is just a most improved team award almost always but that is what pisses me off most.

I watched Clarko get ignored for this dog shit award for over a decade because he was just expected to keep trotting out top 4 restults. But when 2 of the clearly best lists finish where they are expected to they now finish ahead of Mitchell who dragged 'one of the worst lists and clear bottom 4 team in the league to the finals'

Holy shit no consistency on how they vote for this.
Yeah it's pretty crazy how it varies year to year.

Clarko didn't win one in 2008 when he beat a team that had the 2nd best season of all time, and he didn't win one for any of the 3 grand final years. So neither rapid improvement or sustained excellence worked for him.

John Longmire managed to win in 2014 by making a grand final with a team that had already won a flag, and the addition of the best player in the league. Hinkley in 2013, Beveridge in 2015 and Fagan in 2019 won theirs off the back of rapid improvement but none of those teams won a final, the Lions even went out straight sets in 2019.

Sam coming in third is as comical as Newcombe coming in third for the Rising Star in 2022.

It's really 'Coach of the year' (who also is the most popular amongst the other coaches in the comp )

Sam would have ruffled a few feathers on field with some now coaches and assistents . Got no doubt this will sway some people's voting .
Also why Scott/Clarko haven't won it .

Mcrae voting Hinkley is laughable when you think about it , was nothing more than a sympathy vote .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hearing that a few already new Cripps won pre the red carpet, the question now is how much did afl head office, umpires and whoever else corrupt had $ on Cripps to win. It really is a joke of an award now.

Hearing that a few already new Cripps won pre the red carpet, the question now is how much did afl head office, umpires and whoever else corrupt had $ on Cripps to win. It really is a joke of an award now.
Dillon's wife clearly knew. Let slip on the red carpet that Bont was nowhere near it.

moustache goodbye GIF

Dillon's wife clearly knew. Let slip on the red carpet that Bont was nowhere near it.

In fairness based on her red carpet answers I don’t think she watches the game at all and just happened to know who the Bont is.

You mean the burly Armaguard bloke (when literally no Armagaurd people look like that) who couldn’t open the suitcase was a prop?

Question - is it only field umpires who get to vote on the Brownlow or do goal umpires also get a look in? I would think they would have a different opinion given they deal with people scoring and stopping scoring.

Cripps is a really good footballer - but his team only limped into the finals and conceded 10 goals before scoring in their finals appearance. I don't think he helps them win games

Coach of the year is a popularity contest. That Hinkley has won it 3 times while most Port fans have wanted him sacked for most of his career and Clarko and Chris Scott have 0 between them says it all. If Brisbane win on Saturday, Fagan would be a worthy objective winner but really who cares?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back